My Amigo...he's my little buddy ;-)

Post pictures of your Isuzu here. Document Mods, showcase unique features and generally show off your truck

Moderator: Staff

My Amigo...he's my little buddy ;-)

Postby jaydubya2003 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:27 am

Well first off I've loved the Amigo's since I was a kid. My mothers best friend owned a 2wd one. She had the thing for years with no issues and the first time she showed up with the top off I was completely hooked. Now that I have one I LOVE owning such a unique vehicle. I didnt even have this thing for a day (filling up at the gas station on the way home from buying it...lol) and the gas attendant was like "you don't see to many of those around do ya...?" I said "nope...you sure don't", he said "Isuzu Brat right...?" I of course corrected him, smiled, then said thanks and went on my way. It was funny that he mentioned the Subaru Brat...cause I'm also a Suby nut...but that's a different forum and different thread ;-)

Now I bought this Amigo for a budget minded $750.00 bucks. With that said it's not a complete "steal" but it's well worth some time, effort, and money.

Here it is in all it's glory when I brought it home...

The PO said that it needed a new heater core, ball joints, CV shaft, a top of some kind, tires, and of course it needs some kind of paint job figured out. Now it also needs odds and ends to make it look "complete". This rig will be a DD for me, as well as the "go to" rig for camping/wheeling/beach trips/hauling the dogs ;-). So that means I can't just get some run of the mill black spray paint and rattle can over the dents and scratches (at least not for a finished product...with my standards...lol). I can say I was pretty impressed with how well it drove down the freeway though, especially in it's beat up state. It had a bit of a "shimmy" at or above 70 mph...but nothing really before that. All in all I'm pretty happy with my purchase and can't wait to get the work finished so I can hit the trails...and you know...maybe the streets too ;-)

The plan is to get it back on the road and practical then worry about the extra stuff as it comes. This is what I plan on doing to accomplish that over the next few weeks...

Buy and install the heater core
Buy and install a top
Wire in and install my audio equipment (maybe some new speakers)
Find a replacement factory sunroof
Buy and install the ball joints
Buy and mount some used tires (cause I can't afford new ones)

Then after it's reliable and working on the road I will be moving on to making it look the way I want to. That will include...

Re-work the front end, remove the dents/scrapes/miss-shapen stuff and paint the whole truck black again. I figure painting the whole truck black I won't have to worry about blending or matching different shades of black. As well as investigate the front body mounts that have gotten a bit banged up from at least two accidents I know of (PO was forthcoming).
Building some bumpers and rock sliders, possibly spare tire carrier.
Possibly painting the rims...or hunting down some snowflakes...we'll see.
Tint the door glass
Maybe convert it back to the Amigo front end...I kind like it better.

Here is the work so far...and the place I do said work ;-)

The BANE of my existence right now...lol

The dash "removed"...

Heater core and H-vac removed...

And stripped down...

This is my humble "shop"...and where I do the work on anything from the lawn mower to my many friends cars that need something done ;-)

Here's the "shop" computer I re-purposed from extra parts...

It serves two main purposes...streaming 99.9 KISW into the garage ;-), and keeping me connected to "The Planet"

And this is where I take a break when I'm about to freak the F%[email protected] out because I'm stumped on a project. You can see the green stained sneakers to the left, those are my girlfriends who seems to have mowed the lawn before I got back home (she's a keeper ;-))

Well that's it for now, when the parts show up I'll be sure to post up the work that happens and what I run into as problems...lol ;-)
Last edited by jaydubya2003 on Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.
jaydubya2003
Has a Trail Truck

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Postby Metal88 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:32 am

very nice project! so what happen to the front end? was it in an accident or rust ate up the front?
Sal
-If you don't put any effort in anything you do in life, you mine as well be a vegetable- Burt Munro
Metal88
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 13 times

Postby iRunRodeo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:35 am

first time she showed up with the top off

8)
Quin
2000 rodeo
6inch lift
iRunRodeo
Has a Trail Truck

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby jaydubya2003 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:50 am

Metal88 wrote:very nice project! so what happen to the front end? was it in an accident or rust ate up the front?

It was in one major accident and was wrecked when the PO bought it, he replaced the whole front clip. Then he was in a second fender bender that banged up what he had replaced...lol
jaydubya2003
Has a Trail Truck

Postby DASZU » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:24 am

it won't be long before they force you to accept that its cute. don't try to deny it!
89 Amigo 2.6 4x4, its been on a few wheeling trips viewtopic.php?t=42702
09 Ford F250 6.8L V10 4x4- The tow pig
90 Ford Bronco 302 5 speed, the next wheeling toy :twisted:
DASZU
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby 94Rodayo4x4 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:44 am

It is quite cute :D Keep the rodeo headlights, looks way better. 8)
Taylor H.
1994 Isuzu Rodeo S, MUA5, 4WD, V6, 31's- Sold :( Rest In Peace, Ticking Green Beast!
1999 4Runner Sport, V6, Auto, 4WD, E-Locker, 3" Lift, 33" BFG AT KO2's, Custom Roof Rack, PIAA's, more to come
94Rodayo4x4
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 47 times

Postby jaydubya2003 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:01 pm

off_road_4_me wrote:it won't be long before they force you to accept that its cute. don't try to deny it!

Oh the girlfriend started giving me ---- the second I wanted it...lol.
jaydubya2003
Has a Trail Truck

Postby Anthonys101 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:19 pm

[quote]Oh the girlfriend started giving me s--- the second I wanted it...lol.

Tell me something that I don’t already know :roll:

:evil: My sister calls the Amigo “CUTEâ€
Last edited by Anthonys101 on Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I told her, if she could get my truck across the mud hole and not get stuck, that i would kiss her rump

Spit, Dam She Can Drive!!!
Anthonys101
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby jaydubya2003 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:21 pm

[quote]Oh the girlfriend started giving me s--- the second I wanted it...lol.[quote]

Tell me something that I don’t already know :roll:

:evil: My sister calls the Amigo “CUTEâ€
jaydubya2003
Has a Trail Truck

Postby Anthonys101 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:44 pm

Amigos are just cool (that my option and I am sticking with it) you see them one in a while. Every person that drove with me in my amigo has remembered the name of my SUV from there on out. Also the people that I have pulled out mud, snow and my personal favorite ---- load of snow !! But the down side every woman, coworker and girlfriend call the Amigo “Cuteâ€
I told her, if she could get my truck across the mud hole and not get stuck, that i would kiss her rump

Anthonys101
Donor
Donor

Postby Metal88 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:52 pm

[quote="Anthonys101"]Amigos are just cool (that my option and I am sticking with it) you see them one in a while. Every person that drove with me in my amigo has remembered the name of my SUV from there on out. Also the people that I have pulled out mud, snow and my personal favorite s--- load of snow !! But the down side every woman, coworker and girlfriend call the Amigo “Cuteâ€
Sal
-If you don't put any effort in anything you do in life, you mine as well be a vegetable- Burt Munro
Metal88
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 13 times

Postby Anthonys101 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:12 pm

:cry: :cry: :cry: now that is a sad story

Why are is ISUZU "CUTE" ??

Do I have to put a BULL HORN up front to make it UNCUTE !!!

Anthonys101
Donor
Donor

Postby jaydubya2003 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:32 pm

Well I found a full set of 33's (5 tires and rims) mounted on some white wagon wheels in the Isuzu bolt pattern ;-)

Gonna try and go pick them up tomorrow night.
jaydubya2003
Has a Trail Truck

Postby Anthonys101 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:36 pm

When you do put newer tires on please take some pic
There is nothing finer then a truck with newer slab of tires

Anthonys101
Donor
Donor

Postby jaydubya2003 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:48 pm

Anthonys101 wrote:When you do put newer tires on please take some pic
There is nothing finer then a truck with newer slab of tires

Oh I will, they won't be "new" but they have about 75% tread so they'll look MUCH nicer than the worn out tires I currently have...lol
jaydubya2003
Has a Trail Truck

Postby jaydubya2003 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:56 pm

^^

Plus you know...they might function better too...lol
jaydubya2003
Has a Trail Truck

Postby Anthonys101 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:59 pm

Well I sure the tire will fix a lot of the problem of any vibration on the high way. When your amigo shimmy that usually mean tire are off balance. Newer tires should fix that then get an alignment . Good part of Isuzu if only the front you have to worry about front.

Anthonys101
Donor
Donor

Postby jaydubya2003 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:17 pm

Anthonys101 wrote:Well I sure the tire will fix a lot of the problem of any vibration on the high way. When your amigo shimmy that usually mean tire are off balance. Newer tires should fix that then get an alignment . Good part of Isuzu if only the front you have to worry about front.

It definitely felt like an out of balance tire, maybe a tweaked rim. But the bonus is right now I don't have a full-size spare. So with buying this set I get that and some tires that are in WAY better shape.
jaydubya2003
Has a Trail Truck

Postby jaydubya2003 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:57 pm

Well while waiting for the parts to arrive I decided to take the front fenders, bumper, and grill off the Amigo to get a better look at the body mount that's bent...and just make it easier to paint them up for now until I paint the whole truck.

So anyhoo...here is the body

Well yep...that's ur problem rite thur...

Shot from underneath...

And the other side which is fine...lol

Underneath again...

Now as I kept going I noticed where some of the repair was done for the accident...someone with more experience chime in and let me know if this is bad...or really bad...or just fine.

Goes all the way down the inner fender...

So far that's the work done today, I'll be sanding and painting the panels black (primer I think) and putting them back on once I get the front passenger body mount straight and at least somewhat solid...lol.
jaydubya2003
Has a Trail Truck

Postby DASZU » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:55 pm

I agree with your choice to go back to the amigo front end, to me the rodeo look is just too plain :/ kinda like round headlights on troopers, besides, the headlights for the amigo are cheaper ;)
89 Amigo 2.6 4x4, its been on a few wheeling trips viewtopic.php?t=42702
09 Ford F250 6.8L V10 4x4- The tow pig
90 Ford Bronco 302 5 speed, the next wheeling toy :twisted:
DASZU
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby jaydubya2003 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:20 pm

off_road_4_me wrote:I agree with your choice to go back to the amigo front end, to me the rodeo look is just too plain :/ kinda like round headlights on troopers, besides, the headlights for the amigo are cheaper ;)

Well part of the problem is...finding a front end off an Amigo is getting harder and harder...lol. I had a line on a whole Amigo for parts for like 200 bucks!!! But the listing expired right after I bought my Amigo...so I'm hunting other avenues.
jaydubya2003
Has a Trail Truck

Postby jaydubya2003 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:34 pm

More progress today, I sanded and painted the hood and fenders. Cleaned the panels, wet sanded them, painted a lighter coat, then put down a heavy coat. I had a couple runs and such so I'll be wet sanding the panels again for one final coat and then I'll be done until I paint the whole truck.

Panels sanded down and drying...

Painting the inside of the hood flat black, the outside panels are gloss (more so because the girlfriend hates the flat...and I wanted to see how well it would turn out)

These old "stage lights" my great grandfather built double as "heat lamps"...lol

And final coat of gloss on the hood....
jaydubya2003
Has a Trail Truck

Re: My Amigo...he's my little buddy ;-)

Postby mallen » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:56 am

jaydubya2003 wrote:. She had the thing for years with no issues and the first time she showed up with the top off I was completely hooked.

Sounds like a coming of age story.
mallen
Trail Master

Postby jeremy_worden » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:36 am

oooh
1995.5 isuzu rodeo LSD and snowflakes
1988 isuzu trooperII []OlllllllllllllO[] 245-75-R16, yakima load warrior basket, custom rear bumper, and an AUSSIE locker, and AISIN hubs, indy4x shackles 2" lift.
cardomain and May 2011 ROTM
Isuzu Outlaw - Bikini
jeremy_worden
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 14 times

Postby stusvend » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:43 am

:happy1:
Matt
'88 Trooper LS 2.6L- 4 cyl, 5 speed manual. - SOLD :( (Replaced by 2012 Xterra Pro-4x)
'89 Trooper RS 2.6L- 4 cyl, 5 speed manual.
'69 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser- 3.9L inline 6, 3 speed manual.
stusvend
Subscriber

Have thanks: 65 times

Next