Isuzu SUV Forum banner

89 Trooper The Armadillo

26K views 79 replies 20 participants last post by  superman27344 
#1 ·
I should have done this a long time ago, but I never really could find the time. I am gonna try to update this when I can, but here are some of the things I have done over the past year, most have actually been in the past 6 months. The pics are kinda out of order, sorry for that.

Attachments

See less See more
#28 ·
I scored a set of second gen seats off craigslist this weekend and got them switched out. Its nice to be able to be comfortable for more than 30 mins at a time in it now.

Attachments

#30 ·
They do look nice. Did they bolt right in?

Reactions: superman27344
#31 ·
gruff54, yes second gen trooper, i believe the guy i bought them from said they came out of a 96 Trooper. The console is out of a Ford Aerostar mini-van.

itsmehb, the front two holes worked on the first gen tracks but i had to drill two holes in seat frame for back holes. Other than that, no other mods.

#36 ·
The ECM fits fine underneath. As far as mods to the console, you have to remove the brackets that would normally attach it to the aerostar floor. Then to mount it, you must drill holes that line up with the tabs that held in the original Trooper console. I got lazy and only did the front two tabs and just used 3 inch deck screws to secure it to those tabs. As far as the cup holders go, if you are happy with just two cup holders than you can get the console from most aerostars. But, if you would perfer to have 4 like I have, then you need to search for an aerostar that had a floor shifter instead of a column shifter, a little more rare, but then you get the 4 cup holder console. Also, in the front there is a sliding door that covers the cassette storage and coin sorter. The insert for the cassettes will have to be shortened so it will clear the wiring harness on the hump. You could also just throw it away, but the way I modified mine, it makes a good place to store little odds and ends or even my mobile phone.

#38 ·
you need to put up a pic of your recently installed Aisins!

Reactions: superman27344
#43 ·
superman27344 said:
I can't do it Shaggy, mine is a pavement pounder, but I got K5 that is plenty dirty :)
LOL!!! Hey man, Isuzu, Jeep, Chevy, Ford, Toyota, Rover... I have no bias when it comes to who I spend time on the trails with (assuming they're not a d-bag! LOL!), I'd be happy to pair up with you and your K5 at some point if you're interested. :thumbup:

Shaggy

#45 ·
So yesterday I put this new to me grille on. It came from an 89 RS so maybe it will at cool points to the Armadillo, lol. While I had the grille off, I put and extra horn on too. Apparently since mine is an "S", it only came with one horn, but still had the plug for the additional one, so problem solved now, 8) .

Attachments

#48 ·
superman27344 said:
So yesterday I put this new to me grille on. It came from an 89 RS so maybe it will at cool points to the Armadillo, lol. While I had the grille off, I put and extra horn on too. Apparently since mine is an "S", it only came with one horn, but still had the plug for the additional one, so problem solved now, 8) .
Looks fantastic Lou! And boy, I need to hunt around for an extra horn plug, I didn't even know you could have more than one!!

Shaggy

#49 ·
I changed the leaf spring bushings today. The ones on the back at the shackles were a breeze. The ones at the front of the springs, the ones that are fixed, were a bear. Apparently to replace the front ones you have to remove the metal outer shell from the rubber bushing so that the new poly bushings will fit into the spring eye. I would have given my left nut for an air hammer to ease the job, but all I had was pry tools, hammers, and my sawzall. I ran out of day light but if the weather is nice tomorrow I will take pictures of the pretty red poly bushings, lol.

*Update, I tried to get a picture of the bushings in place, but they never would come out worth squat.

#50 ·
superman27344 said:
While I had the grille off, I put and extra horn on too. Apparently since mine is an "S", it only came with one horn, but still had the plug for the additional one, so problem solved now, 8) .
Thanks for the motivation! Finally got around to changing out my R/S headlight and swapped in some LS horns I had. Big difference. Still like the MBZ horn on my '88 Trooper better, but it's a definite improvement. Shaggy, if you're looking for a second horn, make note of the tone. They'll have an "H" or "L" on the back. You'll need one of each. At least that's the way the LS comes.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.