Isuzu SUV Forum banner

2012 A Spacecab Odyssey

233K views 1K replies 54 participants last post by  DSUZU 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Okay, I'm finally getting around to making a build thread for my 1989 Spacecab. I have already replaced the clutch, rebuilt the front suspension, done a valve job, replaced the missing rear seats and changed the front to a bench seat. The next thing I wil do is remove the alarm system. I hate alarm systems!
Pulled it down from under the dash. As I began to undo it, it began screaming for it's life. At this point, I named it "Hal"
Alarm system 001.JPG

Attachments

See less See more
#52 ·
After having applied the second coat of regular filler and sanding, I used the "glazing filler" I had and was happy with the results it brought. I'd have to drive all the way across town, and would have to wait until the business week. This is looking pretty good to me. The rest of the roof (worst deteriorated clear coat) came down pretty good after hitting it with 60 grit and then working my way down. I only hit bare metal in a few spots. Because I'm going to do the roof with the bedliner, it won't need a real smooth surface. Weather is beautiful, I'll probably do more today. biggest pain yesterday was removing the pinstripe between the gray and silver (LS trim) on the passenger side. There was also about 1 foot of the remains of the ventshade, and the adhesive from that was a bear too. Because of previous body work, the passenger side had pinstripe tape on the paint line, and the driver side had a painted pinstripe. I'll probably take that down with 320, and work my way down from there.
Debating now whether to mask and shoot the silver bottom first, then mask that and shoot the gray, or shoot the whole thing gray, and mask and shoot the silver over the gray.

#53 ·
Lol one thing that's not so fun and easy with two tone.. If your clear coating it won't really matter .. The easiest is if you can pin stripe or put molding over the seam.. I tested the theory of clear coat over single stage and had good success.. That was a dump truck hood rebuild, very hard to keep from having flash sections..

I think you've got more secrets up your sleeve then your lettin us know about mr :)
So far that interior change is my favorite !! It's just cool !!

#55 ·
Dennis while you have all that stuff out of the truck. You need to do this.

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

Then go for the tunes. The polk dxi 5" front and 6x9 rears in my Spacer sound awesome with a late factory head unit!
I used a factory cassette head unit with a factory single disc cd player for stealth. I made little mounting boards for the 6x9 by tracing the factory speakers on 1/4 ply and cuting out for the 6x9'x. Painted the ply gloss black and even used the factory mounting screws. pretty OEM looking to help foil the bad guys. Unfortunaly I'm still in a mode where I can't post pics.

#56 ·
I scarfed the factory rear speakers from a first gen Amigo. They are the same as the Spacer speakers. I think I took both front speakers out of the Rodeo, that donated the burgundy parts that I didn't have to dye. I also got the Craig stero out of the Rodeo. I'm really not that much for a lot of sound, so that should do it for me. I'm inclined to shoot some of my rubberized undercoating down in those holes while it's opened up. I don't like that the sunroof drains down into there, I did see the drain holes at the bottom of the panels, but I'd like a good coating of something in there.

#58 · (Edited by Moderator)
Not real happy with the way this turned out. The problem with bedliner sprays is when you mix it, you're commited. I strung a screen over my work area to keep tree debris off, mixed up my spray and waited the required 10 minutes before application. I shot a bit on a test panel, and decided to go for it. Immediately I had problems with the gun. Got a thin coat shot and decided it looked like crap. Choice: take all my lacquer thinner and try to wipe it off (probably should have), or try to save the job. I made a mad dash to "wallyworld" and picked up a 6" roller kit. I rushed back, poured the rest of the mix into the tray and rolled it out. While it was drying, all the insects in the area decided they needed to give their lives to try to ruin my job (gnats mostly).
What I ended up with has a texture about like a "popcorn ceiling" :cry: My next plan of action is to give it about a week to thoroughly cure, and I'll hit it with 100 grit and try for a "knock down" finish and see how that looks. If that works, I'll shoot it with a coat of white paint. If it doesn't work, I'll move up to 60 grit and take it down to the metal and it will just get painted. I have decided that the place for bedliner material is in pickup beds.
body work 001.JPG
body work 003.JPG
body work 004.JPG
body work 006.JPG

Attachments

#60 ·
Oh I hate when bugs get curious lol they attacked my paint job on my amigo too !!! It looks good from afar ... How bad is it ??

#61 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here's the worst of the "Martian landscape". Note the penny. I'm hoping the 100 grit will knock it down. I probably could have accomplished a better effect if I had used GM "chip guard" and plain white paint. Oh well. Won't get to do any more until Sunday afternoon, if then. Dennis
body work 001.JPG

Attachments

#63 ·
I got an extra half hour or so today, so I gave it a shot. 100 grit didn't hardly faze it. I moved down to 60 grit and after 3 discs, got it down to a more acceptabl look from the "Freddy Kreuger" texture I had before. Looks like I'll have to use urethane paint to top coat it.

#65 · (Edited by Moderator)
Back to work. I picked up some 24 grit sanding discs. I ended up mounting them on my angle grinder, and they really eat through the bedliner stuff. The pictures show a mottled appearance with the light spots on most of the roof being bare metal, and the dark sopts are residual factory primer sealer. The light spots on the front are remaining liner spots that I still have to sand off. After taking it down this way, I will go over it with 60 grit, then 100, and then I will have to hit the whole roof with a coat or two of primer sealer. Anyone out there contemplating shooting your rig with bedliner spray, take note: this is what you will have to do if you ever decide to go back to regular paint.
Stripping roof 002.JPG
Stripping roof 001.JPG

Of course tomorrow, I get dragged down to another "family event" that should shoot the remainder of the weekend. God forbid that I should actually make any serious headway. Dennis

Attachments

#66 ·
DSUZU said:
Of course tomorrow, I get dragged down to another "family event" that should shoot the remainder of the weekend. God forbid that I should actually make any serious headway.
Ugh, sort of like having an itch you can't scratch I'll bet. :tongue: On the positive side it's looking good though! :thumbup:

Jonathan

#67 ·
Uuuggg !!! Atleast you got the super course stuff, but still a big job !! Thank god it was only on the top where it's the size of a small park lol

Tell the family your sick and have to stay in bed !!

#68 ·
I almost considered that. It's over and I'm glad I went (well for the most part). Inlaws will be headed back up North next weekend, so this was probably last time to see them or the season. Truck can wait (again). Also consideed calling in sick tomorrow :D , but having just spent almost 2 weeks out sick, I'd better not push my luck. Noticed that someone else just shot his whole Trooper with the same stuff. Me, I learned the hard way. Maybe tomorrow afternoon...

#69 · (Edited by Moderator)
Finally, a little more headway on the Spacer. :D :D :D I found a new way to strip "Gatorguard", which is the type of bedliner I had sprayed on my roof. I was particularly concerned about the tight spaces above the doors and above the quarter windows where the roof meets the side.
body work 003.JPG
body work 001.JPG
body work 002.JPG

The wire wheel goes a bit slower than the 24 grit paper did, but it leaves a lot of the primer underneath, and gets in tight spots good. When finished, I'll hit the whole thing with 60 grit, then 100 grit, followed by zinc chromate pimer on bare metal and filler primer on top of that. Dennis

Attachments

#70 ·
Looking good man!!!! I hope to have a spacecab one day, shoot, I hope to have mine in good shape before long. If it ain't one thing it's another

#72 ·
I don't see no stinking guard ?!? :banghead: I'm just jokin !! Still gotta raz you man... Well all I can say is you have been a great bearer of the integrity of that goop :alien:

It's all back to being prity again atleast ... Have you prepped equipment before at work ??

#73 ·
Brad: I believe I made it clear that I had been using these without a guard (don't try this yourselves kiddies!). Do as I say, not as you see me do! I also mentioned that I have a few scars from some very fortunate close call boo-boos. I do sometimes use the guard, and I also have a cut down modified guard. I DO NOT RECOMMEND REMOVING THE GUARDS FROM AIR POWERED CUT OFF TOOLS AT ALL !!!!!!!!. Had a guy at work a few years back using an air tool his way and part of the cut off wheel became embedded in his forehed. Could have easily been fatal.
Jonathan: It's killin' me. I've been at this thing a year and a half, and only managed to score 3 pages of progress. You've been on the Trooper refresh what, 2 months and got 30(+) pages!!!!
On the other hand, as I may have mentioned, I've been very occupied with taking care of my Aunt and her house. Well, Auntie's all settled in a home, and we just closed on selling the house today. No more 2-3 trips over there after work each week. No more work weekends. IT'S SPACECAB TIME!!!! :D :D :D Dennis

#74 ·
Sweet finaly some time to yourself :) I said I was joking , I know your a big boy and quite capable Mr !! Don't get worked up, or take that aggression and bust your butt on the truck 8)

Did you mention that after you finish the truck that your going to sell the trooper ??

#75 ·
DSUZU said:
Jonathan: It's killin' me. I've been at this thing a year and a half, and only managed to score 3 pages of progress. You've been on the Trooper refresh what, 2 months and got 30(+) pages!!!!
Yes, although about 28 pages of that is me asking questions and figuring out how the heck to do everything! :roll: LOL!!

I'm glad to hear things are settling down for you, looking forward to watching your progress. :thumbup:

Jonathan

#76 ·
bradzuzu said:
Sweet finaly some time to yourself :) I said I was joking , I know your a big boy and quite capable Mr !! Don't get worked up, or take that aggression and bust your butt on the truck 8)

Did you mention that after you finish the truck that your going to sell the trooper ??
I call it "truck therapy". Looking forward to it. Yes, when I "transfer my flag" (for those Navy and Coastie folks), I'll be selling the Trooper off. There are a few things I'll be doing to it first, I may even start a "farewell build thread" but I won't be able to keep both. Dennis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.