Isuzu SUV Forum banner

New member, 86 trooper/ land cruiser mash up build

2K views 33 replies 7 participants last post by  86troopy 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
CB450A60-5C4F-4444-8FBC-61BA4A0D0F13.jpeg
CB450A60-5C4F-4444-8FBC-61BA4A0D0F13.jpeg
Hi guys, new member here. Picked up an 86 trooper a few months back and was slowly fixing bushings and motor leaks when the engine tossed a rod. I'm in the process of swapping in a 13bt Toyota engine and auto trans, along with doing a sas with the Cruiser axles as well.. will be selling some trooper specific stuff here shortly from the c223t engine and drivetrain. Along with front ifs suspension components. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks guys, hoping to make a pretty good pace on this project. 4wd is all new to me, so I'm learning as i go.. mostly been building rwd drag cars for years until now.

Here is a rear bumper I was working on when the motor let go. It's about done. Just needs a hitch receiver tube and plate to the chassis, and some pulling lugs cut and welded on.

Attachments

#7 ·
Rear spring mounts are tacked on the frame, and I fabricated a pair of front hangers last night to try out. I'm noticing my springs are a few inches shorter then the rear trooper springs people seem to use a lot.

Attachments

#12 ·
I build a ton of **** that just doesn't work out haha.. you just have to try stuff until you like it at first. Eventually you get more of a fabrication sense for what's going to look good and function properly.. having welders at home saves me tons of time. This is the first project im actually not working on at home right now. I will take it home when it's closer to the plumbing and wiring portion of the project. But fabrication type stuff im going to be doing at work since the equipment here speeds up the process tremendously.

#14 ·
Made a trans tunnel from half the Isuzu tunnel and half the Toyota tunnel and a lot of pieces. Turned out pretty decent and utilizes the factory Toyota auto shifter! Also got the frame coated and put some fresh under coated in the fender Wells.. all chsssi welding is complete and time to re gasket everything and start installing parts

Attachments

#15 ·
Found a decent radiator off speedway and welded some fittings in for drain petcock and fan switch. Also fabbed some fan mounts and the brackets for mounting to the core support.
Rear axle all cleaned and welded out, fresh paint, brake components, gaskets, and built some new brake lines.

Attachments

#16 ·
Measured and orders some double cardigan driveshafts from tom woods. Currently working on cleaning up the front axle some and all new gaskets and seals on the motor as well. Took the head off for valve seals and potential gasket failure but it seemed to be in good shape.

Attachments

#20 ·
Made a full 3” exhaust with a muffler. True 3” downpipe as well.. used a trooper steering box that was rotated, ended up needing to make a pitman flat pitman arm from 3/4” steel

Attachments

#29 ·
Do you have any other pics of the pitman you made? Did you just cut the splined zu section out and key it into a chunk of steel and weld 'er up?

Rig looks fantastic!

#21 ·
Finally finished out my rear bumper after starting on it like a year ago, and then quickly fabbed up a front bumper from scratch.

Attachments

#22 ·
Bumpers back from powdercoat this last week, winch installed and wired.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.