Hello, 1990 LS from Seattle

Say Hi here for the first time. We're all friendly :)

Moderator: Staff

Hello, 1990 LS from Seattle

Postby Zarroth » Wed May 05, 2021 4:41 pm

I have been following the trooper community for a couple months now. Picked up my first last week. Everything runs great. Just need new tires. Looking to go up to 33s. Anyone have experience doing that on the LS wheels? I see them on a lot of snowflakes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zarroth
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: Hello, 1990 LS from Seattle

Postby Ed Mc. » Thu May 06, 2021 12:37 am

Howdy from over here on the other side of the Pond in Poulsbo!

I think I saw your Trooper in the Offerup last week! There were 2 almost identical V6 LS's that came up for sale and were very quickly snapped up. Becoming a cult classic, for sure.

The 15x6 LS wheel might be a tad skinny to fit 33's. The factory "big tire" setup was with the 15x7 Snowflakes and 31x10.5 tires. This package also came with rear mudflaps.

Check out the "Wheels & Tires" forum, lots of good info and advice there:

https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewforum.php?f=16

If you're set on 33's you're gonna have to do a mild lift to make 'em fit better. A set of lift shackles on the back and a mild height increase adjustment to the front torsion bars usually works. An upper ball joint flip would help to restore suspension geometry after a lift. Use the Search feature here to find postings about that.

Independent 4x sells quite a few nice suspension bits for the ZuZu including leaf spring lift shackles, ball joint spacers, shock extensions, poly bushings, etc etc. Check out the parts here:

https://www.independent4x.com/Leaf-Susp ... _c_58.html

You might be able to score a decent deal on factory or aftermarket wheels with the 6x5.5" (6x139.7mm) lug pattern and approx 4" (100.5mm) center hole. Just watch the offset, there are a lot of strange ones out there.

I've seen a Trooper with 15x7 Colorado rims and they didn't look too bad. They don't have as much negative offset as the stock ZuZu wheels though (tucked in a bit). BTW the Colorado rims are a perfect fit on my 2WD '98 Frontier. Nissan wheels 2004-earlier have the correct 6-lug pattern and will fit the Trooper hub. Note that the Trooper hubs are not hub-centric by design, the factory wheels use beveled lug nuts.

I bolted up a set of Toyota 4Runner wheels a while back to an '89 RS. Those wheels are hub-centric and you might even be able to find the plastic hub adapters that would make them fit perfectly. What I did was bolt 'em up with 3 equally-spaced beveled lugs, snugged the lugs down to center the wheel, then used straight-shank lugs on the other 3 holes. Torqued them down, replaced the other 3 with the correct lugs, and they ran smooth as silk. So that's a way to get 'er dun and there are Tons of 'Yota wheels out there in the Craigslist, Offerup, and Facebook Marketplace.

HTH & enjoy your "new" Trooper, and Welcome to the Planet!..........ed
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
'89 Troop RS (Exhaust Valve Challenged), now gone to a Good Home!
Yes, I am a Trooper-Holic!!!
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 407 times

Postby Ed Mc. » Fri May 07, 2021 2:01 pm

Discount Tire is having a flash sale May 7 thru 11. Up to $110 instant savings on selected tires, including the Cooper AT3 XLT.

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/prom ... EE+DETAILS

Here's the AT3, which had a lot of good comments here:

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy- ... er-at3-xlt
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
'89 Troop RS (Exhaust Valve Challenged), now gone to a Good Home!
Yes, I am a Trooper-Holic!!!
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 407 times

Postby giusedtobe » Fri May 07, 2021 11:36 pm

Had the same dilemma with mine. I bought a set of 16" snowflakes with 33"s but really don't want to spend the money on the suspension upgrades right now so i found a set of your wheels in the junk yard painted black. Got these 235/75/15 mud tires for ~$115 a pop on line. Squirted the rims with fresh paint and this will hold me until I do the suspension stuff. Of course I will not be doing any serious 4 wheeling/rock climbing but I am looking forward to seeing what it can do in the mud.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
giusedtobe
Trail Master

Have thanks: 33 times