Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Who's Running This Place Anyway?

22K views 81 replies 13 participants last post by  JoeIsuzu 
#1 ·
Three and a half years ago Auto Guide/Vertical Scope bought planetisuzoo.com. Since then it seems like the community has been hung out to dry. Yes, there is still good content being created. Yes, there are still new members joining and participating, but there is zero management on or really of the forum. AG/VS is basically just keeping it running; which is fine but the site is operating on dated software, everyone who was a moderator hasn't really visited the site much since it was sold and there is no one really around to do things like pin good posts, or encourage things like RoT's, and generally just keep an eye on the forum to encourage it to grow.

In North America Isuzu's are at their newest 15 years old and were never super popular to begin with. But one of the best ways to keep old vehicles running and keep people interested in them is for them to be able to easily find information about them. This forum is still the internet resource for anything related to Isuzu 4WD vehicles. But its a shadow of its former self and stunted from growing do to lack of ownership. No one that controls the forum actually really cares about it, its just another one of their thousands, and I highly doubt a profitable one at that. I would love to buy the site from AG/VS, but I doubt very much that they would be willing to sell it. So in lieu of that, here are some things that I'd like to see the current owners do:

1) Get some new moderators who can actually help manage the site! Simple things like pinning outstanding posts would be phenomenal! (Why are nasty610's Spring and Shock threads not pinned, for example?)

2) Upgrade the forum software! They did this once, then we had an outage and they reverted back to the old software. It would be nice to have a more modern interface and search function.

3) Listen to the users about changes (things like re-categorizing the forums to be more vehicle specific or having subject headers) or allow the new moderators to have to power in the forum to make these kinds of changes.

Maybe I'm just yelling at the wind here, but does anyone else feel the way that I do? Would anyone else be willing to take on a role and an Admin or Moderator?

See less See more
#56 ·
mudoilngears said:
SRN said:
Looks like they listened! I got Moderator access today.
mudoilngears, if you're still interested they're willing to give you the rights as well.
Sure!, work your magic. ;).
They said they messaged you last night.

#58 ·
SRN said:
mudoilngears said:
SRN said:
Looks like they listened! I got Moderator access today.
mudoilngears, if you're still interested they're willing to give you the rights as well.
Sure!, work your magic. ;).
They said they messaged you last night.
Interesting, I have no PM nor emails. Wonder what happened.

#59 ·
mudoilngears said:
Looking at his e-mail again, he said, "I'll message mudoilngears." And then mentioned that tomorrow (today) is Canada Day and he'll be off, but back on Thursady. So, hopefully then. I'll keep on him, he's been pretty responsive thus far.

#60 ·
SRN said:
mudoilngears said:
Looking at his e-mail again, he said, "I'll message mudoilngears." And then mentioned that tomorrow (today) is Canada Day and he'll be off, but back on Thursady. So, hopefully then. I'll keep on him, he's been pretty responsive thus far.
Sounds good.

#61 ·
93trooperpooper said:
a bunch of nutless monkeys randomly hitting keys- we need to realize that our older vehicles are not '' hip'' or ''cool'' to the younger generation, that has been dumbed down by all the useless and un-needed features and what not in vehicles these days.
Oddly when I picked up my 88 resto project Trooper my 21 year old college daughter and all her friends think its really cool. I was shocked but she said "retro" (yeah I had a hard time with that too) vehicles are cool now.

#64 ·
I'd be willing to moderate, as I've gotten a great deal of valuable information from this site, and tried to give back as much useful information as I've gotten. Not sure if all those Isuzus in my signature qualify me or not, but there are still lots of good vehicles out there and still a valid need for this site to stay active.

Tim

#65 ·
kg4miq said:
I'd be willing to moderate, as I've gotten a great deal of valuable information from this site, and tried to give back as much useful information as I've gotten. Not sure if all those Isuzus in my signature qualify me or not, but there are still lots of good vehicles out there and still a valid need for this site to stay active.

Tim
I don't know, with all the zuzu's you own you kind of have the market cornered. Might not be enough left for a fan following Lol :lol:

#67 ·
kg4miq said:

Tim
I'll pass your name along.

#68 ·
Hey Stephen, Great to see they gave you moderator rights. Hope to see some good activity return to the page. I started a r/Isuzu subreddit a while back and have been directing people to Planetisuzoo. Looking forward to ROTM returning. Hope all is going well with your trooper.

-Richard

#69 ·
Richey said:
Hey Stephen, Great to see they gave you moderator rights. Hope to see some good activity return to the page. I started a r/Isuzu subreddit a while back and have been directing people to Planetisuzoo. Looking forward to ROTM returning. Hope all is going well with your trooper.

-Richard
Thanks, hombre. I'd like to see RoTM Return as well. You interested taking the reigns and firing that back up?
Trooper is good. Building a dual exhaust for it right now. Hows the Amigo?

#70 ·
SRN said:
Richey said:

-Richard
Thanks, hombre. I'd like to see RoTM Return as well. You interested taking the reigns and firing that back up?
Trooper is good. Building a dual exhaust for it right now. Hows the Amigo?
I'd definitely be down to start back up ROTM. Ill send you a PM

#72 ·
Enemigo said:
They didn't give you admin abilities did they? I'd love to fix the picture issue on this site. It's a royal pain. I think we'd see build projects go way up if it weren't so cumbersome to post pictures.
No, they only gave us moderation rights. The picture issue can only really be resolved with a software upgrade to a newer version of VBulletin of XenForo. I know that VS has other sites on newer software, and I've asked them about that and the response that I've gotten is that they are willing to upgrade it, but they have to resolve some issues with our current database, which is old, in order to do it. No timetable, though. For me after resolving the moderation issue, getting the software updated is the biggest thing. So I'll keep after them on that.

#73 ·
SRN said:
Enemigo said:
They didn't give you admin abilities did they? I'd love to fix the picture issue on this site. It's a royal pain. I think we'd see build projects go way up if it weren't so cumbersome to post pictures.
No, they only gave us moderation rights. The picture issue can only really be resolved with a software upgrade to a newer version of VBulletin of XenForo. I know that VS has other sites on newer software, and I've asked them about that and the response that I've gotten is that they are willing to upgrade it, but they have to resolve some issues with our current database, which is old, in order to do it. No timetable, though. For me after resolving the moderation issue, getting the software updated is the biggest thing. So I'll keep after them on that.
Not VBulletin. This is phpBB.

And what "picture issue"?

Jack

#75 ·
The issue is that the site makes you crop photos down to be only a certain amount of pixels wide. It says how many pixels, but that doesn't translate to how I crop my photos, so it's always just a guess. It's annoying to try and post 5-10 photos, then get a message that something is too wide. It doesn't say which one though, or how much wider it is. It also seems to be a ratio, because I've cropped photos to make them more narrow, but if I also crop the photo to make it shorter, it changes the aspect ratio and won't accept the cropped photo. Finally, once you finally get the photo posted, the site auto resizes it anyway into that dumb little box where you have to click for enlarged photo. If it's going to resize them all anyway, what's the point right? It's just an annoying thing to always have to work around.

#76 ·
SRN said:
JoeIsuzu said:
Not VBulletin. This is phpBB.

Jack
Thats correct, but VS only "supports" VBulletin and XenForo. So those are the options for upgrading.
Ah, I see. That's generally called "migrating" (not "upgrading").

As common as phpBB is, VBulletin and/or XenForo may have built-in tools to migrate from phpBB. But most migration tools don't even try to handle anything added on (plugins, extensions, etc.). I wouldn't be surprised if they lost all attachments as well.

I ran a Simple Machines Forum for a while. It handled attachments completely different from how phpBB handles them.

Jack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.