Isuzu SUV Forum banner

format for forum

14K views 46 replies 19 participants last post by  RodeoKlown 
#1 ·
I just logged on and found this new format. First opinion is it's really bad. Way to hard to navigate around. Will probably be my farewell to the forum if it stays this way. What was wrong with the way it was?

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hmph. Wondered what was going on. I noticed it yesterday but was posting from my phone. Forums and mobiles don't always play well..

Everything still works for the users, sure is ugly though.

Maybe the new guy's maintenance policy is the same as my employers...
Run to failure.
.. every damn day.

Baby Ninja.gif

Attachments

#7 ·
The mobile site isn't jacked up.
But I never liked the mobile version. The mobile site isn't too bad on a PC, but sucks on a phone.

#9 ·
Thanks Joe. So the "new" site (broken) shows that Planetisuzoo is after all...an Isuzu Dennis

#10 ·
This is awful. I only use a laptop (no smart phone) and have to go to mobile version in order to make sense of anything. Like Jack said anyone know how to contact admins?
Don't know how much longer I'll be here if it doesn't change. Frustrating....

Mike

#12 ·
SRN said:
I sent an e-mail through the site to AG_Admin and i went to AutoGuide.com and sent an e-mail through their contact page asking for help. We'll see if they notice soon.
Thanks, Stephen. I started to send them an email, but just got angry at being lied to. Originally, they said they'd be in the site every day, and would create something for reporting issues. That's a big 0/2.

Jack

#13 ·
This is B.S. and a detriment to the site.

"Admins" need to be responsive to the needs of the website or they're worthless.

You're gonna start losing people if this problem doesn't get fixed soon!

#14 ·
Whew. Glad to see "it's not just me". Popped in to visit the board approx October 1st and thought I was having an LSD flashback---- this is some jacked up sh*t. I kept refreshing the page and trying different things over the course of a few days, because the site was (is) basically unreadable/unusable on my end. Using the "full site" (versus "mobile" version), all the page views are mostly white space, very little visible text, no graphics or photos, all very "internet Bulletin Board circa 1992", I can only see forum section titles but can't see any thread titles or any posts. The whole thing looks like someone typed a few wide-spaced paragraphs-per-page on typing paper, using an IBM Selectric. :roll: I tried various things for several days, thinking it might be some weird site/browser incompatibility issue on my end, sent a pm to board administrator a couple of days ago (no reply yet), and only managed to find this thread by randomly clicking around and hoping I'd see something related to website maintenance or another way to contact an administrator.
This is horrible.

#16 ·
You know, I don't even own an Isuzu any more. I'm still here to help people who do, and because of friends I've made here. Making this site so complicated could put an end to all of that. I don't want it that way, but I don't need the frustration.
I don't know what it is with the "techie" folks who think they ALWAYS have to screw with things and "change" them. Dennis

#18 ·
Hey guys - yes the site is broken and hard to use at the moment, but the negative, nasty, foul language responses by some members isn't going to fix it! Take it easy.

As Jack said :
Here's the issue (but I can't tell WHY it's missing):
Code:

Both of those files are "missing" (404 errors).[END QUOTE]

Looks to me like someone moved the forum's code and either lost the two files or forgot to transport them to a new location. I know a bit about web code, and see that the first, "/style.css", called a "style sheet" tells our web browsers what layout, styles and sizes of fonts to use.

Can not someone with a lot more experience than me, write a new style sheet to put up on the host site?

Lets have positive suggestions instead of the foul posts we're seeing.

#19 ·
I just looked into the forum source code and found 2 things Jack mentioned: The Style Sheet appears to be:

[ phpBB style name: Artodia: Mobile and SEO]

This was generated by Artodia and can be found on their website for free. Perhaps someone can recreate our version of that Style Sheet and upload it via ftp?

Secondly the code page shows:
[Original author: Tom Beddard ( http://www.subBlue.com/ )]

I contacted Tom Beddard at his website, and he replied within an hour with this :
"Hi Fred

Please check http://www.phpbb.com, the project website for your forum software.
I've not been involved with the phpBB project for about 15 years now so I'm surprised they haven't moved on from the old styling I did back then!

Regards
Tom"

Now isn't that the most polite response from someone involved 15 years ago!?

I also found on the code page:
[Modified by: Vjacheslav Trushkin ( http://www.artodia.com/ )]

Artodia is still active, but I assume Vjacheslav would not be able to do anything after probably that same 15 year period.

So, Does anyone else have any suggestions?

#20 ·
sanramonrover said:
Hey guys - yes the site is broken and hard to use at the moment, but the negative, nasty, foul language responses by some members isn't going to fix it! Take it easy.

As Jack said :
Here's the issue (but I can't tell WHY it's missing):
Code:

Both of those files are "missing" (404 errors).[END QUOTE]

Looks to me like someone moved the forum's code and either lost the two files or forgot to transport them to a new location. I know a bit about web code, and see that the first, "/style.css", called a "style sheet" tells our web browsers what layout, styles and sizes of fonts to use.

Can not someone with a lot more experience than me, write a new style sheet to put up on the host site?

Lets have positive suggestions instead of the foul posts we're seeing.
Nobody needs to write anything. Without an admin, it can't be fixed. "Positive suggestions" might make someone feel good, but they're completely ineffective if the admins won't show up to read them.

We have an admin team that is completely AWOL and all they really need to do is care. They are not living up to the grandiose assurances they gave us when they took over. If you don't remember that, I'd encourage you to go check out their first few posts.

Jack

#22 ·
sanramonrover said:
OK, so I am off-base. My apologies. Who is this Admin?
An account called "AG_Admin". This is from:
Big site announcement
AG_Admin said:
Hello everyone,

My name is Phil, I am a community manager for AutoGuide.com, I work with a small team that will continue to manage the webmaster duties for PlanetIsuzoo.com along with the current moderator team. We are here to help primarily with the technical end of things and help make the jobs of the current Mods/Admins easier. I posted a real basic run down to answer common questions below. If you have more questions or concerns please feel free to post them in response.

What are our intentions?

We bring reliability, support and the infrastructure needed to ensure that the community will continue to be around for years to come. It's our goal to work with the mod/admin team to help provide the resources and required work to give this community a broader reach, to attract new members, and to better the overall knowledge shared in the community.

Will leadership change?

Continuity is the focus here, YOU as the membership work very hard to keep building this community while your mod/admin team keep the walls and the roof up in this place; we are primarily here to make sure the lights stay on. Every community is unique and should always be respected in that regard. You all have established your own unique rules and regulations and a strong reputation that is carried by all of this. For us it's paramount to maintain this level of integrity and enthusiasm.

What am I here for?

Our primary role is to be the technical contact; you all contributed to building the strong foundation the site was built on. Moving forward we will all work together to keep the momentum and the community growing. [highlight=Yellow]We will be on the forum checking in daily to make sure regular maintenance is taken care of and keeping things running smoothly from behind the scenes. We will also be setting up a help desk on the site for when you have questions or issues with the site or your account and need assistance.[/highlight]

Looking forward to working with you all.

Thanks,
-Philip
So if Phillip or one of his team members were here, I'd respectfully ask them to just "DO WHAT YOU SAID YOU'D DO". But we can't even get them here.

Jack

#23 ·
This really couldn't be worse timing for me as I'm in the process of rebuilding my first Trooper, and this forum and its members are an invaluable tool in that process.

Autoguide.com has a list of forums they maintain, and rather fittingly, I suppose, the Planet isn't listed.

#24 ·
Looks like the admin hasn't been on since last month. I sent him a PM, not sure if any others have reached out directly or just posted here, but reaching out directly might be more effective.

#25 ·
paulevans76 said:
Looks like the admin hasn't been on since last month. I sent him a PM, not sure if any others have reached out directly or just posted here, but reaching out directly might be more effective.
I sent AutoGuide a message through their "Contact Us" page. Will report back of I get a response.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.