Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Advertising pop ups! WTH

6K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  AG_Admin 
#1 ·
has anyone else been in the middle of reading or posting something on the Planet and then all of a sudden you are redirected to some BS "You have been selected to win ..." bla bla bla $500 amazon card...."
crap???

I have had to toss like a bunch of threads I was responding to because the sneaky crapshat advertisement won't let you hit BACK on your browser because it has a redirect response in front of it.
I'm complaining because whoever it is at Auto Group or whatever they are called now running this board are letting really bad ads get in the way of a decent site experience.

I work in Digital and I know you can pick your ad network for this site.
Guys come one, pick something else or figure out a way to block the spammy ads that do this pop-up crap.

#5 ·
SRN said:
Get an adblocker plugin for your browser or switch to a browser like Brave. I haven't seen ad's on websites for years.
Shouldn't have to do that. If they start obstructing my reading or typing, I'll just move on.

#8 ·
NO, I don't have a virus on my phone or computer. iPhones don't do that and it only happens on this forum not on other sites or pages I visit.

It only happens after the page has loaded and then the banner space begins to load whatever Ad is up next for rotation. If I get (un)lucky and get served the spam ad for a gift card this is what happens:

The ad then redirects the entire page session and sends you to this crappy spammy page.
I have pics this time!

#9 ·
RickP said:
Sounds like you may have a virus or malware.
Nope the forum is serving "advertising" from crwdcntrl.net, amazon-adsystem.com, adnxs.com, gumgum.com, and
viglink.com which is the likely offender, especially if you try to select/highlight some text when it happens.

#12 ·
I'm not usually around on the weekends, sorry. Plus long weekend where I am

Anyways, those popups are coming from my end, so at least no one has to worry about malware/virus troubles. What I need is the url of the popup when you get them to track and block.

There is some exploit that's allowing these onto the site that we're looking into. Don't know more then that at the moment

Kevin

#13 ·
Dingbat said:
RickP said:
Sounds like you may have a virus or malware.
Nope the forum is serving "advertising" from crwdcntrl.net, amazon-adsystem.com, adnxs.com, gumgum.com, and
viglink.com which is the likely offender, especially if you try to select/highlight some text when it happens.
I see little ads, but I'm not getting popups like the OP is reporting.

#14 ·
It might be unique to Apple products, or at least a whole lot more common with them. Based on the other reports I've been getting from other sites in the network, IOS has some major vulnerability in it

Not a dangerous vulnerability mind you. Just an annoying one that's allowing ads on. Don't know more then that so far I'm afraid

Kevin

#15 ·
Kevin,
we're still seeing these popups that take over the entire session.
It seems they have some magic too to not be able to go Back in your history.
So when you hit back or stop and back again, another ad will pop up and you can't get to the Planet thread you were even reading.
Each of these ads are either that bull**** amazon card or that my phone is unprotected and Apple has detected it.
i can see so many people falling for this.
Can you help in any way to prevent this crap??

#16 ·
#17 ·
Ya, it's not unique to us for sure.

If you can copy the link it takes you to and send that my way, I can at least shut down one avenue. It has a habit of reshaping itself to get around my blocks, but it should provide temporary relief.

Kevin

#21 ·
nah just haven't been on that often on mobile. More so on desktop.
I dont' check the planet but maybe once or twice every week or two.
thx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.