Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Project RATROD...AKA...LOWRIDER. ...new pics--->11-17-08

88K views 274 replies 54 participants last post by  Bansil 
#1 ·
Ok just some pics and mods lots left to do,I'm just finishing up lots of projects that piled up in my building during the "BEE season" :lol:

Oops after relocating radiator to bury the winch into front end

Forgot about little things like the radiator clamp :roll:

so out with old and in with new

Mounted

radiator moved back 2" shows fuses for relays

Hoodpins since I cut so much radiator support away,hood wouldn't always open.

latest bling 8)
A switch panel that will mount on the rollcage infront of and above heater controls.Winch control,in/out. 3 light switches for front,2 for fans,rev light and interior light.I had to move alot of crap since the cage takes up so much room.

and yes that is a sea turtle swimming above sea grass.........

got's ta represent TEAM TURTLE

Front bumper that gained over 3" of front clearance over stock bumper

There will be lot's of updates and pics.

See less See more
#102 ·
installed two .......oh crap we're doing what handles last night.Had to go with solid mounts since theres just not much room for the one I wanted.

and there's enough room once your inside to enjoy the good life :p

well still gotta figure out how to mount the the rest off the crap.....or that is to find a place for everything without looking like a gypsy wagon :D

#103 ·
COOL 8) The gloss black paint is going to look really good! :twisted:

#104 ·
Kewlz... Now I gotz place to hangz awn and screamz O'Shiznit! 8) :lol:

isuzufool said:
COOL 8) The gloss black paint is going to look really good! :twisted:
Yeah, well... if *I* put that much work into building a cage, it would be painted Blaze Orange, so no one would miss a single detail :twisted:

Cheers!
Smiley

#107 ·
Van said:
......you and Smiley could pass as brothers
Handsome Devils, ain't we? 8) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers!
Smiley

#110 ·
Nice work boooy!

I've been off the board for a while and this is SICK! You and Wayne have been busy!!!

I am down for the volunteers list at the UFE Race but it looks like I may just miss all the meetings or at least half of them...so what a crappy vol I am...

It may just work out so that I can Video the Zu Crew and the rigs on the trails.
No promises yet.

I got a DV camera that I can rip the video onto DVD's like butta and then just flip copies like hotcakes.
Now I just got to get that schedule worked out.

maybe I should ask this on the proper thread.... but here goes:
Who's got camping spots out there? .... (edited 3-30-08 ) Found it!!! Number #27

and Smilie:
I love your humor... all i can say is "HOLD ON TIGHT"

#111 ·
:lol: :lol:
heres some more

A few updates,ended up watching way to much tv this weekend,thanks to mother nature.
It rained all day saturday,so nothing happened out side...............

Not all was lost tho'

I made my own window nets because the $20(each) ones didn't even come close to fitting and custom ones are close to $100 each.

The ones I made are strong enough to hang from the rafters,so they will keep arms etc inside the cage.No they aren't SFI rated but they will do the job.

The webbings is 1" wide and ~.09-.125 thick and is UV stable and designed to be used in food and medical feilds.

It was a freebie from work (old project) so once again, keep it green and recycle.

I went ahead and cut the 1" webbing for the window nets as I drank coffee and listened to the rain.

I layed out the pcs on a pc of wood,to keep myself straight and rightside up.

I broke out the sewing machine after momma got up (after I ate brunch)

and started to sew.

The thread I used is for outdoor use and is UV stable and 4x as thick as normal thread.

okey dokey the start of hell has begun,

wow what a PITA!! home machines don't have a deep enough throat,so I was constentally
folding and rolling the net,as I made the square stitching.

ok a few hours later and a bobbin rewind and some very suttle cussing,walla

shown with lower mounting rod installed.

ARRR!!!Maaatttteeyyy

found some pieces of eight-ish on the washer.............gonna have some shiney bling-bling somewhere on lowrider.

ok rest of the day was kinda blah,blah.....painted some on the cage.

Sunday,woke to..............errrrrrrrrrr.........rain.....bad water....bad water...

well after coffee.........it stopped raining!!!!!........now it was snowing...........

oh well,I watched sniper3, it stopped perspiring outside,so the longjohns and multi layers went on.

Dang it was cold and wet,

welded the steering shaft,adapter,extension in place.

Had to loose the turn signal mount because it wouldn't fit over the adapter,and I caught my knee on it so.........sianara????????

wheelmounted

used factory wheel with quick release

then rolled around in the mud and finally fabbed up the B-pillar mounts.
Passenger side and driverside.

I used 1/4" plate for horizontal plates and three pcs of 3/16 to brace it.

not sure why pics are so dark,they looked good at home,sorry.

then came the rain,so inside to watch racing on tv.

#112 ·
I am down for the volunteers list at the UFE Race but it looks like I may just miss all the meetings or at least half of them...so what a crappy vol I am...
8)

stop by and say hi,there will be atleast 5zu's there.

#113 ·
Cool window nets 8) That does look like it was a HUGE PITA :shock: :shock: But looks awsome!

#115 ·
This one goes out to Andre, and awl youz uddah Ol'Skool Brass Monkeys :wink:

Bansil said:
*(Non-work-safe audio track link added)

Cheers!
Smiley

#117 ·
So how long is it going to take your spotter/winch wench to jump out if you get in a bind?
Not sure yet,will know the weekend of the April 12th. :wink:

I can get out in less than 15sec. not trying.And that includes taking the steering wheel off,and simulated window net removing.

Actually 15 sec. is alot of time..........

#118 ·
I’m still pretty flexible, especially for a 40-something ;) :p

Cheers!
Smiley

#119 ·
Smiley said:
This one goes out to Andre, and awl youz uddah Ol'Skool Brass Monkeys :wink:
You can't cut the mustard when you're frontin' it all

That sure is some nice pirate booty! :wink:

Thanks for the link Smiley. I haven't been listening to as much B-Boys as I need to 8)

[Chief Wiggam voice] That's some nice sewing work there Doug [Chief Wiggam voice]

The cage tie-ins look good too.

Andre

#120 ·
8) thanks

heres a quick pic......

cutup some old blazer seat belts and started on latches for window nets,used the tig machine at work.

The long pc of 3/16 will be cut down at the home of Lowrider

still gotta get a upper rod cut up...

#121 ·
started on body work this evening,as usual It's easier to cut out rust,dents and bondo.... :twisted:
and I needed to make way for a rear bumper. :wink:

this is what happens when you run out of gas going up a 45*+ hill full of rocks,and you have to roll back to level it out so it'll start again :roll:
ANd the rear bumper-ettes crush and spew forth bondo thus' truck stops as the sheet metal,rust and bondo compact against the tailgate.

so out comes the grinder,sawsall and a BFH...........

It looks better further out will post more pics.

Lost some wght

The cut is level with the top of the frame so the tube won't hang down and it's even with rear of frame and tailgate lines.

passengerside for reference

#122 ·
I will assume you're going to do a tube bumper? Or is it going to be plate?

I like the added clearance. Looks cool from the back too.

Joe

#123 ·
yeah tube,gotta cut out the crossmember first to get rid of the rust.It's solid on the ends and the frame is solid,but the middle 16" of the crossmember are rotten.

#124 ·
And as an added benefit, now we can finally see the 3/4 spring set-up! 8)

Man, I can't wait for the 11th/12th -- when I'll be able to take about 250 photos of that Beast -- and maybe even get to drive it :!: :twisted:

Cheers!
Smiley

#125 ·
*Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep -- Beep -- Beep -- Beep*

Attention:

This is a Test of the Emergency 'Get Smiley's Butt Outta Bed Early' System...

This is only a Test.

If this were a Real Emergency, about right now, someone would be handing Smiley a 32oz Coffee...

3 Blue Fake Sugars & Heavy on the Non Dairy Creamer.

This concludes this Test of the Emergency 'Get Smiley's Butt Outta Bed Early' System.

We now return you to your regular Internet Surfing, already in progress...

*Beep - Beep - Beep*

:p :lol:

Cheers!
Smiley

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.