Check Engine Light on/off after new battery installation

Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Isuzu

Moderator: Staff

Check Engine Light on/off after new battery installation

Postby Barrykl » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:49 am

I've had a CEL on for two months, then my battery finally died. I installed a 26F replacement and the CEL went off immediately.

72 hours later, the CEL came back on and was on all day yesterday driving around for about 2 hours in one direction and two hours in another.

I'm just looking for some ideas, is this likely an electronics issue because of the CEL timing?

extra info I don't know the significance of:

My ABS light also comes on sporadically, usually for 30 minutes or so, then turns back off while driving around, specifically after fixing the shifter cable last week.
Barrykl
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: Check Engine Light on/off after new battery installation

Postby catbrown357 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:56 pm

Always post year and model if you want help diagnosing problems.
2001 Isuzu Trooper LS 4X4, 3" OME lift, Skyjacker shocks, TB crank, 265/75 16 AT tires, Warn manual hubs, Heavy duty tie rods, the list goes on...
2011 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4X4, 3" full OME lift.
2017 BMW GS Adventure, the best bike ever!
catbrown357
Trail Rider

Have thanks: 20 times

2004 Isuzu Rodeo CEL troubleshooting

Postby Barrykl » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:53 pm

Sorry about that - 2004 Isuzu Rodeo with these CEL issues
Barrykl
Drives on Pavement

Postby Tentin » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:08 pm

Well, it sounds like you need to scan your check engine light and take care of it. Replacing/disconnecting the battery will reset any codes you had stored which explains why it went away temporarily.

Lots of parts stores will scan OBDII codes for free, otherwise you can get a $10 bluetooth adapter that hooks up to your phone and you can scan them yourself using an app.

As for the ABS light I'd first make sure your brake fluid is topped off.
1995 Isuzu Pickup 4WD 3" suspension lift, Balljoint flip, American Eagle Alloys, 32" Falken Wildpeak A/T's
2013 Subaru BRZ
2017 Jeep Renegade
Tentin
Drives on Gravel

Postby Barrykl » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:35 pm

Great, I have an obd2 reader, I didn't know all the codes were reset upon battery replacement. That's good to know! Thanks for your help, I'll start troubleshooting.

I was thinking it would have to be an electrical thing because of the battery, but if the codes are reset I'll get back to the codes. Thanks again.
Barrykl
Drives on Pavement

Postby Buster28 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:54 pm

If you clear a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) using a scan tool or by disconnecting the battery all the Readiness Monitors will reset to a Not Ready state and it will take several drive cycles before they will be set Ready. These are the Readiness Monitors implemented in your Rodeo:
Misfire (continuous)
Fuel Trim (continuous)
Comprehensive Components (continuous)
Catalyst (CAT)
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR)
Evaporative (EVAP)
Oxygen (O2) Sensor
When the Readiness Monitors are Not Ready some diagnostic tests are not run. Once the monitor is set Ready the CEL will illuminate with the same DTC set if the malfunction was not repaired. The Readiness Monitors prevents cheating a state emissions test. You can turn off the CEL but you can't set a Readiness Monitor to Ready and the vehicle cannot pass the EPA emission test with one or more monitors Not Ready.

The ABS Warning Lamp will automatically reset after the fault has been cleared and vehicle speed is greater than 11 mph (more or less). The ABS Warning Lamp cannot be turned Off by removing the battery or using a scan tool. Even removing the ABS module electrical connector will not turn Off the ABS Warning Lamp. Be aware that some inexpensive scan tools/readers cannot communicate with the Isuzu ABS electronic module using the 16 Pin Data Link Connector (DLC) digital serial data buss.

Btw, low brake fluid will illuminate the Brake Warning Lamp but not the ABS Warning Lamp.
01 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6
Buster28
4L30E Guru

Have thanks: 1196 times