Isuzu SUV Forum banner

2001 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4 - Front axle actuator oil.

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  kperras 
#1 ·
So my 4WD wasn't working, And I diagnosed it to be the front axle actuator.. So I got a new one from the wrecking yard for $26. However.. I read here on the forums that it takes gear oil that isn't shared with the differential. How do I fill it?

Do I just push it through the vent hose??

Or do I put it in the actuator and carefully bolt it on like holding a cup of water above my head?

I'm not sure that it would be full enough by just filling it with oil then lifting it up there. I also need to put gasket sealer on it to seal it to the axle.. But oil and gasket sealers don't USUALLY mix in my experience.

Is there a specific protocol for this? It's a 2001 Rodeo 4x4 with the electric actuator. The donor actuator is from a 2000 model and seems to have plenty of torque, My grandpa couldn't hold the forks in place as the motor turned. It overpowered him. So I think it's a good unit. For now anyway.

The axle vent tube and the actuator hose wasn't attached to the steel lines, so I believe that it got full of water crossing the creek. I'm not sure how the hoses got free of the steel lines. It's all behind skid plates.. So.. Not sure what to think...

Thank you for reading. I heard someone mention a service manual detailing the procedure for oiling the actuator.. But I don't have one. If anyone has a PDF they could share, I'd love you forever! :?:

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.