2003 Rodeo 4WD Issue

Discuss anything related to drivetrain problems here (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Moderator: Staff

2003 Rodeo 4WD Issue

Postby turnerd » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:23 pm

Hey guys, I have a 2003 Isuzu Rodeo with the 3.2V6 and the Aisin Warner automatic transmission, having the shift on the fly 4x4 system with the dash mounted knob.

I bought the car recently and the check 4WD light was on. I reset the TCCM as stated on threads on here. That cleared the light and now the transfer case is working properly.

When I drive forward in 2H, the propellor shaft remains stationary. When I drive forward in 4H and 4L, the prop shaft turns as it should. My conclusion is the electric t-case actuator is good. It does go into low gear.

However, my issue is that when I put it in 4H, the green 4WD indicator flashes consistently at me at a “normal” pace. It is not staying lit as it should. When I put it in 4L, the green the 4WD indicator flashes, and the green 4L indicator flashes as well.

After reading up on the issue, I believe it to be that my front axle actuator is not operating properly. I pulled my skid plates to look at the little motor thing and it has a single vacuum line and an electrical connection.

Can anyone offer a suggestion about troubleshooting this actuator? I’d like to make sure it is my problem before blowing $200 or spending hours a junkyard.
1988 Trooper II LS 2.6L automatic
turnerd
Has a Trail Truck

Have thanks: 5 times

Sponsor

Re: 2003 Rodeo 4WD Issue

Postby Buster28 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:11 am

Did you check for the motor control signal at the front axle actuator connector?
The hose is the axle vent, it is not a vacuum line.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6
2020 Jeep Wrangler 2dr 4x4 3.6L V6
2000 Cadillac ETC 4.6L V8
1991 Cadillac Allante 4.5L V8
Buster28
4L30E Guru

Have thanks: 1255 times

Postby turnerd » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:13 pm

Buster28 wrote:Did you check for the motor control signal at the front axle actuator connector?
The hose is the axle vent, it is not a vacuum line.

Are you sure it is the axle vent? I have a hose going to the axle nearby (the obvious vent) but this one goes directly into the actuator motor.

Thank you for the diagram. I will check the signal this evening.

I just happened to notice something else while under the truck. I am missing the C-Clip type thing that holds the passenger side CV axle into the axle housing. I can take a picture if needed. Basically, the axle itself is moving in and out of the housing, and the tension the boot is apply is holding the "soup can" out about an inch from the axle mounting plate.

Would anyone happen to know what this part number is? I am not sure if this is why my 4wd light is flashing, but it obviously has to be fixed ASAP.
turnerd
Has a Trail Truck

Postby Sh_YVR » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:14 pm

in my 2000 (which is slightly different) .. it won't engage if the the wheel speeds don't match between front and rear and would flash 'normally' for quite a while. (it has no problems at the moment - but it is finicky) these things work for me:
- very cold below 20f in/out might error & the center dash module doesn't like it will click more than 1x
- it will engage or disengage in reverse (when in D has taken too long or failed)
- it seems to disengage better when coasting down a slight decline (prob unbinds the drivetrain)
- engages better when not accelerating & recently I've limited it to 25mph ;

note: not sure about 03 but the 00 has a SOTF FLUID reservoir with 150-200ml of gear fluid - service people never find it. I did manage to change it, the fluid that came out did look 'old' (14yrs later) .. I put in synthetic 75w-90... (don't know if it helped; because I also got better at figuring out when it will disengage better). This is pointed out in the owners manual.
Sh_YVR
Has a Trail Truck

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby turnerd » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:42 pm

Sh_YVR wrote:in my 2000 (which is slightly different) .. it won't engage if the the wheel speeds don't match between front and rear and would flash 'normally' for quite a while. (it has no problems at the moment - but it is finicky) these things work for me:
- very cold below 20f in/out might error & the center dash module doesn't like it will click more than 1x
- it will engage or disengage in reverse (when in D has taken too long or failed)
- it seems to disengage better when coasting down a slight decline (prob unbinds the drivetrain)
- engages better when not accelerating & recently I've limited it to 25mph ;

note: not sure about 03 but the 00 has a SOTF FLUID reservoir with 150-200ml of gear fluid - service people never find it. I did manage to change it, the fluid that came out did look 'old' (14yrs later) .. I put in synthetic 75w-90... (don't know if it helped; because I also got better at figuring out when it will disengage better). This is pointed out in the owners manual.

Ah ok. If only I had the owners manual, maybe worth my money on eBay...

Anyways, could you please direct me to a thread or briefly describe about the proper way to change the SOFT fluid? That sounds like something that should be done.
turnerd
Has a Trail Truck

Postby Sh_YVR » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:19 pm

its just a 19mm bolt if I recall the size near the actuator.. (mines a 00 -) so may not be exactly the same - someone else here may have 03 specific..
Sh_YVR
Has a Trail Truck

Postby Sh_YVR » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:32 pm

*even tho its a different system I believe this mechanism is the same for all Rodeos..
sotf0.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sh_YVR
Has a Trail Truck

Postby turnerd » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:06 am

Sh_YVR wrote:*even tho its a different system I believe this mechanism is the same for all Rodeos..
sotf0.png

Oh ok cool. I'll check it out tomorrow. Would you happen to know if there is any way to drain the thing? Would it be worth trying to pump the fluid out? --I would imagine what is in there came all the way from the factory.
turnerd
Has a Trail Truck

Postby Sh_YVR » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:28 am

yes - you have to pump it out... there is not very much... & make sure the TIRES are equal diameter. same type, wear, air pressure.. if 4H doesnt' work it wont go to 4L
Sh_YVR
Has a Trail Truck