Search function acting crazy?

Check here for periodic posting about the status of this website, or post a suggestion for the website

Moderator: Staff

Search function acting crazy?

Postby stusvend » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:19 pm

I'm typing in what I know to be the title of the thread verbatim and it is returning pages and pages of results that dont have anything to do with that thread. The returns do have the words I'm typing in them but why wouldnt it look for the closest match first?
Matt
'88 Trooper LS 2.6L- 4 cyl, 5 speed manual. - SOLD :( (Replaced by 2012 Xterra Pro-4x)
'89 Trooper RS 2.6L- 4 cyl, 5 speed manual.
'69 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser- 3.9L inline 6, 3 speed manual.
stusvend
Subscriber

Have thanks: 65 times

Sponsor

Re: Search function acting crazy?

Postby shooter » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:44 pm

I typed your title in search and got No suitable matches were found. This was performed 3 times from 3 different pages.
1989 Isuzu Trooper S/ 4WD / 2.6 Litre 4 Cyl 4ZE1 Converted to Weber 32/36 Carb / 5-speed Manual (MUA5) / Warn Premium Hubs / Fancy Radio / Deluxe Intermittent Combination Wiper Switch

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints

Some people are like Slinkies; they are not good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
shooter
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 154 times

Postby Selahdoor » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:32 pm

Same thing happened to me the other day.

Typed in a title, verbatim and got a ton of pages, but NONE of them were the one I wanted. They just had all the words in some order or no order at all.

Tried it again with just the uncommon words. Same thing, less results.

Finally I found the thread on my own. Then went back and tried something....

Yup. Search is case sensitive.

I didn't capitalize the first letter of the first word in the title, and got all those other results.

Tried it again with the first letter capitalized, and the correct thread was the very first result.

Personally I think the search should not be case sensitive.

And I wish we could put something in parenthesis, and get ONLY the results which have exactly that search term. Not just all the same words.
-Jeff
1988 Trooper LS. 4ZE1. mua5.

How can I help you or make you laugh today?
Selahdoor
Forum Admin

Have thanks: 166 times

Postby shooter » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:23 pm

I actually copied/pasted which included the first letter of the topic being uppercase. I mostly rely on the google search option.
1989 Isuzu Trooper S/ 4WD / 2.6 Litre 4 Cyl 4ZE1 Converted to Weber 32/36 Carb / 5-speed Manual (MUA5) / Warn Premium Hubs / Fancy Radio / Deluxe Intermittent Combination Wiper Switch

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints

Some people are like Slinkies; they are not good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
shooter
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 154 times

Postby haynesdad2 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:36 am

Selador wrote:I wish we could put something in parenthesis, and get ONLY the results which have exactly that search term. Not just all the same words.

Agreed. this is a huge frustration
2000 Trooper LS
265/75/16 Wardens
Graco Car seats
Double Jogging Stroller
Sippie Cup rolling under the front seat
haynesdad2
Mi Amigo

Have thanks: 2 times