Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Who's Running This Place Anyway?

22K views 81 replies 13 participants last post by  JoeIsuzu 
#1 ·
Three and a half years ago Auto Guide/Vertical Scope bought planetisuzoo.com. Since then it seems like the community has been hung out to dry. Yes, there is still good content being created. Yes, there are still new members joining and participating, but there is zero management on or really of the forum. AG/VS is basically just keeping it running; which is fine but the site is operating on dated software, everyone who was a moderator hasn't really visited the site much since it was sold and there is no one really around to do things like pin good posts, or encourage things like RoT's, and generally just keep an eye on the forum to encourage it to grow.

In North America Isuzu's are at their newest 15 years old and were never super popular to begin with. But one of the best ways to keep old vehicles running and keep people interested in them is for them to be able to easily find information about them. This forum is still the internet resource for anything related to Isuzu 4WD vehicles. But its a shadow of its former self and stunted from growing do to lack of ownership. No one that controls the forum actually really cares about it, its just another one of their thousands, and I highly doubt a profitable one at that. I would love to buy the site from AG/VS, but I doubt very much that they would be willing to sell it. So in lieu of that, here are some things that I'd like to see the current owners do:

1) Get some new moderators who can actually help manage the site! Simple things like pinning outstanding posts would be phenomenal! (Why are nasty610's Spring and Shock threads not pinned, for example?)

2) Upgrade the forum software! They did this once, then we had an outage and they reverted back to the old software. It would be nice to have a more modern interface and search function.

3) Listen to the users about changes (things like re-categorizing the forums to be more vehicle specific or having subject headers) or allow the new moderators to have to power in the forum to make these kinds of changes.

Maybe I'm just yelling at the wind here, but does anyone else feel the way that I do? Would anyone else be willing to take on a role and an Admin or Moderator?

See less See more
#2 ·
There were many of us who feared this outcome when Tad sold the forum. AutoGuide doesn't care a cent about this forum. Unless they are willing to sell it to someone who cares about the content and not about the ads, there will be no change. It is a sad truth, but it is the truth. I would be willing to participate in some management role ad-honorem if the opportunity arose.

The re-categorizing topic has been around since before the transfer. So much carries over from one Isuzu to another, that it is not a practical idea.

#3 ·
I don't have much to contribute beyond that I whole heartedly agree. Now that I've sold an Amigo to buy a Trooper and am going through it to restore, I've been here a lot and it's a bit of a bummer what this sir has turned into. I REALLY appreciate everyone that does still come around though. You've sto been invaluable.

#4 ·
a bunch of nutless monkeys randomly hitting keys- we need to realize that our older vehicles are not '' hip'' or ''cool'' to the younger generation, that has been dumbed down by all the useless and un-needed features and what not in vehicles these days.
i mean, how dumb are you, that you need rear seat occupancy sensors, so you forget your children in your car and cook them to death? i mean , really. if you need that, you should not have children. licence to breed.
my oldest got his licence, went for the road test, and the tester was surprised the car didnt have self parking-lane assist sensors- adaptive cruise control- back up camera-blah blah blah. the instructor was surprised the car was legal to be on the road- a 2000 chrysler intrepid- what a moron.
we are a dying generation, and it seems like we are taking our secrets ( knowledge) with us. if it doesnt have all the bells and whistles, this next generation doesnt want it.
same with alot of forums- they have been sold off / sold out to larger corporations that dont care.
another forum i use was bought out by tapatalk, and they really screwed it up. but hey, i get ''gold points'' when i log in, check in, make posts, etc ....yay! gold points that i can use on.....NOTHING IN REAL LIFE ! wtf, right?

and facebook groups-so much mis-information on those sites . dont get me started.

#5 ·
mudoilngears said:
There were many of us who feared this outcome when Tad sold the forum. AutoGuide doesn't care a cent about this forum. Unless they are willing to sell it to someone who cares about the content and not about the ads, there will be no change. It is a sad truth, but it is the truth.
100% right. And there really can't be much ad revenue. I'll bet it doesn't even bring in $25 USD/month. To make this worth their time, they need LOTS of sites like this one. And if the ad revenue stops flowing for one site (like this one), it might take them a couple of months to even notice.

Jack

#6 ·
The main point of my little rant is to see who is interested in stepping into a moderator role? If we can get one or two people, myself included, to go to AG and ask for Admin rights, maybe we can help keep the ship afloat for a bit longer.

Looks like mudoilngears is interested, anyone else?

#7 ·
SRN said:
The main point of my little rant is to see who is interested in stepping into a moderator role? If we can get one or two people, myself included, to go to AG and ask for Admin rights, maybe we can help keep the ship afloat for a bit longer.

Looks like Enemigo is interested, anyone else?
As stated, I would be willing to take any role that is of help.

#8 ·
mudoilngears said:
SRN said:

Looks like Enemigo is interested, anyone else?
As stated, I would be willing to take any role that is of help.
Right, you're who I meant! :D

#9 ·
SRN said:

Bear in mind that "moderator" rights and "admin" rights are different. I doubt they'd go for surrendering admin rights.

Jack

#10 ·
JoeIsuzu said:
SRN said:

Bear in mind that "moderator" rights and "admin" rights are different. I doubt they'd go for surrendering admin rights.

Jack
Yes, but perhaps they might be willing to grant moderators some additional rights OR maybe the mods might get some direct line of communication with the site Admins to get changes implemented faster.

#11 ·
SRN said:
JoeIsuzu said:
SRN said:

Jack
Yes, but perhaps they might be willing to grant moderators some additional rights OR maybe the mods might get some direct line of communication with the site Admins to get changes implemented faster.
I get the impression that's the LAST thing they want (changes). You're talking about more work for them.

Based on past experience, their SOP is to be completely hands-off until they notice an interruption in the revenue stream.

Jack

#13 ·
JoeIsuzu said:
I get the impression that's the LAST thing they want (changes). You're talking about more work for them.

Based on past experience, their SOP is to be completely hands-off until they notice an interruption in the revenue stream.

Jack
Well, we can hope, right?

Anyone else interested in taking on a moderator role?

#16 ·
#18 ·
#22 ·
JoeIsuzu said:
It seems to me, the outfit that took this site over is in breach of contract. They have done very little that they promised.

Jack
No contract to breach, really. They own the site outright, they can shut it down tomorrow if they don't feel like its worth it anymore.

#24 ·
SRN said:
JoeIsuzu said:
It seems to me, the outfit that took this site over is in breach of contract. They have done very little that they promised.

Jack
No contract to breach, really. They own the site outright, they can shut it down tomorrow if they don't feel like its worth it anymore.
If they made commitments when they bought it, and there was "consideration" exchanged for those commitments (that would be ad revenue), then yes -- they made a contract, even if only verbally. I'm not saying it's enforceable. I'm saying they have an ethical obligation to abide by the terms to which they agreed.

And Kevin seemed to say that this was a little more high-maintenance than they anticipated. Thus the slower response than they promised. However, I'd suggest that if they can't do what they promised, they should surrender it to someone who will.

Jack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.