Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Pictures?

7K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  mudoilngears 
#1 ·
Anyone else having problems seeing the pictures? Seems all the embedded picture are gone. Saw the Test thread the admin did......do we have to go back and upload all the pics again?

#2 ·
Me too. I've posted pictures that last for a short while, then there gone.

#5 ·
I don't use a 3rd party site when loading pictures. Just load them straight to the thread when I reply.

#7 ·
shaggydoink said:
All of the images in my posts (and many others) seem to be broken at least in Chrome... is the site still being administered by someone, or has it been left to die a slow death? :(
Jonathan,

I can still see some users' images that are posted as attachments. Were yours posted as attachments, or were they embedded via a hosting site?

Posting via a 3rd party site (like photobucket, imgur, etc.) is a fundamentally bad idea. The disadvantages far outweigh any minor advantages of this method.

Jack

#8 ·
Hey Jack. My images are being stored on/in a private hosting account, this works best for me as I'm able to reference images from multiple locations. From what I've read phpBB can be adjusted to accommodate this, the question is whether there's a site administrator who is willing and able to do this? :dontknow:

Jonathan

#9 ·
As a side note in case anyone else seems to be in the position I have been in, phpBB currently does not seem to be configured to render external images via an non-HTTPS URL which I suppose could be intentional. Adding an SSL certificate to my hosting account resolved the issue technically speaking, although would require editing every post I've done that references an image since I joined six years ago. :roll: Jack is probably right, hosting externally may not be a good choice for anyone new to the site.

Ah well, at least the image in my signature isn't broken anymore. :thumbup:

Jonthan

#10 ·
Actually, I completely lucked out. I copied all of my images to the HTTPS directory in my web hosting account and they all display now, this site must be configured to redirect external HTTP image URLs to HTTPS. There were 2,486 images so that's a big *WHEW*! :mrgreen:

Jonathan

#11 ·
shaggydoink said:
...the question is whether there's a site administrator who is willing and able to do this? :dontknow:
As a professional systems administrator and a hobbyist phpBB forum administrator, I have a little different perspective on that.

Speaking as a forum administrator, I want the users 5 years from now to be able to see pictures posted from day one. If the users put them in Photobucket, Imgur, or in their personal hosting space, I have absolutely no control, and cannot ensure that they're available for future users.
shaggydoink said:
Jack is probably right, hosting externally may not be a good choice for anyone new to the site.
You make an excellent point -- forcing a change now would not be good for the bazillion images already using external hosting.

Jack

#13 ·
maddyzu said:
How do I access pictures in posts that are blurred and have photobucket over them?
Please point me in the right direction-
Photobucket is blurring them because they are using up too much bandwidth, and want the uploader to buy a subscription.

#14 ·
takemehome4LOroads said:
maddyzu said:
How do I access pictures in posts that are blurred and have photobucket over them?
Please point me in the right direction-
Photobucket is blurring them because they are using up too much bandwidth, and want the uploader to buy a subscription.
Yeah, photo bucket has pretty much just gone for the way side, but the older threads that would prove helpful are lacking the images they used to support the topic. Best thing is to search for an thread that could answer your question or if you find a guide, or make your own, upload via a separate image host. I've used imgur for most of my things across the internet.

Chris

#16 ·
JoeIsuzu said:
cswa said:
upload via a separate image host. I've used imgur for most of my things across the internet.
NO, PLEASE!!!

That's how we got into this trouble in the first place.

Let THIS site host the images.

Jack
I get that it's best not to host the images on a separate site from where you're wanting to post them. However as editing the post, there's only an option of adding an attachment or adding a link to a photo, so I'm not sure how to upload the image to this site, and have this site host the image. I see that there is the ability to attach one or more files to a post, I'm able to do that, and I'll try that method.

Chris

#17 ·
cswa said:
JoeIsuzu said:
cswa said:
upload via a separate image host. I've used imgur for most of my things across the internet.
NO, PLEASE!!!

That's how we got into this trouble in the first place.

Let THIS site host the images.

Jack
I get that it's best not to host the images on a separate site from where you're wanting to post them. However as editing the post, there's only an option of adding an attachment or adding a link to a photo, so I'm not sure how to upload the image to this site, and have this site host the image. I see that there is the ability to attach one or more files to a post, I'm able to do that, and I'll try that method.

Chris
Upload the file, once it is uploaded, put the cursor where you want the image in the post, and click 'Place inline".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.