PlanetIsuzoo.com (Isuzu SUV Club)

Welcome to the Planetisuzoo Forums!
It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:54 pm 
Almost Joe Isuzu

mudoilngears wrote:
I wonder what it would take, to take this forum off of Auto Guides’ hands.

First, someone willing to host and maintain it (from a hosting perspective). I imagine someone here would be willing. I have too many irons in the fire already, so I'm not a candidate.

Then, probably a ransom payment. :(

Jack

"There are no dumb questions"?! Maybe not...
but there are smart ways to ask. Old, but classic:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:45 pm 
Zu Royalty

JoeIsuzu wrote:
mudoilngears wrote:

First, someone willing to host and maintain it (from a hosting perspective). I imagine someone here would be willing. I have too many irons in the fire already, so I'm not a candidate.

Then, probably a ransom payment. :(

Jack

That ransom payment is what concerns me. The rest I think we could handle pretty easily. It’s a pity Tad didn’t offer anyone here the option of taking care of it before he let AG have it.

SOLD- :( 1990 Isuzu Amigo 4X4 4ZE1 engine. Front Aussie Locker, HD Sway Away T-bars,Smittybilt XRC8 winch.
Build in progress...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:24 pm 
Drives on Pavement

mudoilngears wrote:

Agreed, I was thinking the same thing, since the last issue caused by them not keeping their forum software/CSS/PHP updated, along with whatever server changes that took place. Most forums which I have been a part of always had at least 2-3 senior members with admin privileges and any tech issues were generally resolved same day or by the next day.

I have only been a member of this forum for a short while, and not very knowledgeable on Isuzu vehicles yet, but greatly appreciate the knowledge shared here as I set out to learn more things.

Autoguide.com (that is part of VerticalScope Inc.), is supposedly administering this particular forum, and has more than 400 other auto related websites https://www.autoguide.com/forums.html. Planetisuzoo is not even mentioned on their lengthly list as they seem to not even have enough appreciation for the combined built up information and knowledge that is currently shared or has been contributed here over the years.

Honestly, if they can’t even be bothered with it because of their already absurdly long domain and forum ownership list, it just makes them out to seem like a bunch of un-professional hacks that don’t really care about this particular forum or the content that is present in the end. I guess they mainly appreciate the gimmicky marketing aspects a forums platform can possibly provide them only.
As for taking this forum off of Auto Guides’ hands… well good luck on hearing something positive back from them if ever, as it is just one of their many assets, and they seem to do business in uninspired bulk. A bit sad really.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:27 pm 
Zu Royalty

50Bells wrote:
mudoilngears wrote:

Agreed, I was thinking the same thing, since the last issue caused by them not keeping their forum software/CSS/PHP updated, along with whatever server changes that took place. Most forums which I have been a part of always had at least 2-3 senior members with admin privileges and any tech issues where generally resolved same day or by the next day.

I have only been a member of this forum for a short while, and not very knowledgeable on Isuzu vehicles yet, but greatly appreciate the knowledge shared here as I set out to learn more things.

Autoguide.com (that is part of VerticalScope Inc.), is supposedly administering this particular forum, and has more than 400 other auto related websites https://www.autoguide.com/forums.html. Planetisuzoo is not even mentioned on their lengthly list as they seem to not even have enough appreciation for the combined built up information and knowledge that is currently shared or has been contributed here over the years.

Honestly, if they can’t even be bothered with it because of their already absurdly long domain and forum ownership list, it just makes them out to seem like a bunch of un-professional hacks that don’t really care about this particular forum or the content that is present in the end. I guess they mainly appreciate the gimmicky marketing aspects a forums platform can possibly provide them only.
As for taking this forum off of Auto Guides’ hands… well good luck on hearing something positive back from them if ever, as it is just one of their many assets, and they seem to do business in uninspired bulk. A bit sad really.

I would imagine Tad has some contact info for someone that has a bit more authority. He must if he negotiated the takeover. Of course that doesn’t mean they’ll part with it.

SOLD- :( 1990 Isuzu Amigo 4X4 4ZE1 engine. Front Aussie Locker, HD Sway Away T-bars,Smittybilt XRC8 winch.
Build in progress...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:54 pm 
Drives on Pavement

All of you guys have been part of this forum for much longer than only a few months like myself, but when I joined, I did read about when Tad transitioned this website over to AutoGuide. I would imagine that some long term forum contributors know Tad personally and could possibly contact him to then see where that leads at least.

I just have a bad rash which may be very early stages of “Isuzu” disease, so I hope there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:32 pm 
I am the Stig

Still screwed up, is there an Admin out there that gives a Rat's Patootie about this site?

Keep On Troopin' !

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:48 pm 
Zu Royalty

Ed Mc. wrote:
Still screwed up, is there an Admin out there that gives a Rat's Patootie about this site?

The only admin we know of, was online last Nov 7, so no, he doesn’t care.

Build in progress...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:20 am 
Loyal P'up

I've been getting the untrusted message via Chrome for a week or so - comes and goes; they need to get their certificates in order.

If they want to generate revenue for this site (and thereby have a reason to pay more attention), perhaps incorporate sponsors. I don't want an ad filled forum or a bunch of pop-ups - the Mini Cooper forum I visit has several different parts vendors sponsor different forum sections; their logo is present on the forum section title page and several of the vendors actively participate in the forum - generates business for them and can be helpful to the members when looking for something.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:51 am 
Almost Joe Isuzu

Pluffmud wrote:
I've been getting the untrusted message via Chrome for a week or so - comes and goes; they need to get their certificates in order.

If they want to generate revenue for this site (and thereby have a reason to pay more attention), perhaps incorporate sponsors. I don't want an ad filled forum or a bunch of pop-ups - the Mini Cooper forum I visit has several different parts vendors sponsor different forum sections; their logo is present on the forum section title page and several of the vendors actively participate in the forum - generates business for them and can be helpful to the members when looking for something.
I'm getting that warning again, too. I couldn't agree more.

I'd love to hear what Tad thinks about how this has gone down. I don't think this is what he expected.

Jack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:49 pm 
Loyal P'up

JoeIsuzu wrote:
Pluffmud wrote:

I'm getting that warning again, too. I couldn't agree more.

I'd love to hear what Tad thinks about how this has gone down. I don't think this is what he expected.

Jack

I'm still getting it when trying to log in - connection is unsafe from Chrome, have to go advanced to bypass. Certificate associated with the site (this time) from manitobaoutdoors.ca, amateurish looking site from Canada. WTF?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:38 pm 
Trail Scout

The problem went away, then today it came back, so maybe it will be fixed again. Since Isuzu left the market yrs ago, the pool of potential site users is small, so I can understand them sort of ignoring the site, or keeping the priority low.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:40 pm 
Zu Royalty

namealreadyinuse wrote:
The problem went away, then today it came back, so maybe it will be fixed again. Since Isuzu left the market yrs ago, the pool of potential site users is small, so I can understand them sort of ignoring the site, or keeping the priority low.

This forum is far more active than a lot.

Build in progress...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:55 pm 
I am the Stig

namealreadyinuse wrote:
Since Isuzu left the market yrs ago, the pool of potential site users is small, so I can understand them sort of ignoring the site, or keeping the priority low.

Not an excuse. They made a commitment to maintain this website, and they should keep it.

If they're not gonna meet their obligations, then maybe we need to find another web host!

Keep On Troopin' !

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:40 am 
Trail Scout

Ed Mc. wrote:
namealreadyinuse wrote:
Since Isuzu left the market yrs ago, the pool of potential site users is small, so I can understand them sort of ignoring the site, or keeping the priority low.

Not an excuse. They made a commitment to maintain this website, and they should keep it.

If they're not gonna meet their obligations, then maybe we need to find another web host!

Who is they?
Here are some yearly costs for a certificate.
https://www.chargebee.com/blog/options- ... cate-cost/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:30 am 
Zu Royalty

namealreadyinuse wrote:
Ed Mc. wrote:
namealreadyinuse wrote:

Who is they?
Here are some yearly costs for a certificate.
https://www.chargebee.com/blog/options- ... cate-cost/

“They” is AutoGuide. What does a random article with prices have to do with anything?

Build in progress...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:49 am 
Almost Joe Isuzu

mudoilngears wrote:
What does a random article with prices have to do with anything?

That's to show how much (how little) it would cost to get an SSL certificate for this site.

Even that's not necessary. Running without SSL (http instead of https) would be free, and better than using a mismatched or misconfigured certificate.

Jack

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:00 am 
Zu Royalty

JoeIsuzu wrote:
mudoilngears wrote:
What does a random article with prices have to do with anything?

That's to show how much (how little) it would cost to get an SSL certificate for this site.

Even that's not necessary. Running without SSL (http instead of https) would be free, and better than using a mismatched or misconfigured certificate.

Jack

I understand. But if we have no admin credentials it does us no good. It’s a shame what’s happening.

Build in progress...