Isuzu SUV Forum banner

First Generation Trooper section?

5K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  lorenzo816 
#1 ·
How about a 1st gen trooper section? it would make browsing a lot easier on my aging eyes... I know the 92+ is a great rig, but I have no interest in it, and I bet most of those guys probably don't care much about the old classic.

Just a thought.

#3 ·
AG_Admin said:
Shouldn't be a problem to set up. Any of input on this?

Kevin
It's a lot more work than you think (that is, if you intend to move the appropriate existing topics to it).

And because of the wide overlap with other possible categories, users would never be clear on what goes where. For example, let's say you're posting about your 1st gen with a problem bleeding the clutch. There were Pickups, Amigos, and maybe Rodeos with the same clutch, and same issues. What's unique about the Trooper for these issues?

And would we then get sections for every generation, of every Isuzu? I would not want to go down that slippery slope.

Once a forum has established categories (sections), it's an ordeal to start messing with them, even for a change that everybody wants.

Jack

#4 ·
I can appreciate that it would be a ridiculous amount of work to locate and move all the old posts. I was just thinking about going forward with a new section to start fresh. As far as I can tell this is still the premier site for first gen enthusiasts, and I thank you for your efforts to keep it going.

#5 ·
Just my opinion but I think it would be pretty silly to have a section just for 1st Gen Troopers. Not saying it to knock your idea, but this site has enough separate sections as it is plus has a really handy search feature which makes it really easy to find whatever you're looking for. Just my two cents on it.

#6 ·
I think that the way that is now is fine. As JoeIsuzu pointed out, there is so much over lap on Isuzu's that it would be counterproductive to then start splitting every thing up.
My only thought would be maybe keep the current sections as they are, but add the option for headers on the subject line? 1st Gen Trooper, 2nd Gen Rodeo, ect. ect. That maintains the sections, but allows a little easier searching.

#7 ·
Will hold off on setting up any new section.

As for your suggestion SRN, that would possibly be doable. Adding Headers (or Prefixes as they seem to be called on my end) isn't a feature that comes standard with our forum software, but I believe I found a customized plugin that would accomplish the task. I'm not skilled enough to say for sure that it would be compatible here, but the versions seem to match up.

We wouldn't be able to retroactively apply them to threads, but it would be something we could have going forward.

Thoughts?

Kevin

#8 ·
AG_Admin said:
Will hold off on setting up any new section.

As for your suggestion SRN, that would possibly be doable. Adding Headers (or Prefixes as they seem to be called on my end) isn't a feature that comes standard with our forum software, but I believe I found a customized plugin that would accomplish the task. I'm not skilled enough to say for sure that it would be compatible here, but the versions seem to match up.

We wouldn't be able to retroactively apply them to threads, but it would be something we could have going forward.

Thoughts?

Kevin
I have to say, this forum is the most subject-line challenged that I've ever run into. The guys here are great, but it seems many of us would rather use the "Subject" line to express how we FEEL, or random stuff than the actual subject of the post.

That said, I'm not really optimistic that we'd use the "prefix" or "keyword" or whatever the feature is called with any more success.

A "tagging" plugin would probably be the ideal solution, since it completely abandons the notion of hierarchies, which don't fit well anyway.

Jack

#9 ·
Agreed, tagging would be great.

#12 ·
AG_Admin said:
Interesting. Have you seen this in actin on any site? Can't really tell from the description, but I don't think it would be retroactive.

Kevin
No, I have not seen it on a site. And no, tagging would not be retroactive. However, if I'm reading it correctly, it looks like anyone with edit permissions on the first post in a topic (the owner and moderators) could add tags (manually).

One issue with add-ons (mods, extensions, plugins) is that when forum software upgrades are released, often the mods are not compatible. You have to either delay your upgrade, or remove the mod altogether.

Jack

#13 ·
Ran this plugin by the techs, and they were not optimistic about getting this running here. The version of the site software we are using is fairly behind the current curve. Features have been glitching or dropping off with increasing frequency. It's been something we've been dealing with, with more severity, on some other sites in our network, and there is some testing going on to try and fix the underlying issues.

For now, they advised we hold off on adding any new features.

Kevin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.