Isuzu SUV Forum banner

First Isuzu - 93 Pickup

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  LuckyPup 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I just picked up a 1993 4X4 pickup the other day and am really excited to get to know her. I'm really pleased with it so far! It only has a few issues:

-The cast iron power steering broke near where it bolts to the block while driving (according to the PO). He took the belt off the pump but left it hooked up and just tied it out of the way. It's a bit of a workout to turn in parking lots. There are a few of these pickups in local pick-n-pulls so I will start by searching for a bracket there. If I can't find one I may pursue having someone weld it up for me.

-The drivers window wont roll down. The handle won't turn and it feels like the regulator is binding. I will check the junkyards for this as well.

-Various leaks that I need to track down.

I'll be changing all the fluids and filters so I can get a baseline for future maintenance. Will also be inspecting the timing belt soon and what I see will help me decide how high it moves up the priority list.

Here's a picture of Suzie

Cheers,
Alex

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome, great looking pickup complete with snowflake rims. As to the window regulators. On my 89 both were hard to almost impossible to move. I removed the regulators, wire brushed them and lubed with some grease I bought in a small tube at the parts store. Put them back in and they both worked like new, and that was over 4 years ago. Looks cold there.

#4 ·
Thank you for the decoder szac. It was very helpful and seems to apply to 1993s as well. The graphics appear to be from the 90's, but I can't say for sure when they were installed. All I know for sure is that I really like them!

itsmehb, I will have to pull the door panels and see how the regulators look. The PO said there is something bent in there, but we'll have to see.

I'm excited to get to the junkyard and see what goodies I can find but it's been dumping snow for the last few days so I haven't had a chance. Are there any particular items that I should look for while I'm there? Common failure items that I will end up needing some day? The yard has a 91, 92, 93 and 94 p'up. Thanks!

Alex

#5 ·
I'm excited to get to the junkyard and see what goodies I can find but it's been dumping snow for the last few days so I haven't had a chance. Are there any particular items that I should look for while I'm there? Common failure items that I will end up needing some day? The yard has a 91, 92, 93 and 94 p'up. Thanks!

What part of the country are you in that would have that many Isuzu's available in a junkyard? Probably, if any are 4x4's I would grab the manual hubs off the front. Another thing that people sometimes are looking for is the intake and distributor with mounting plate off the 2.3, which can be used for a weber conversion on the 2.6. Even if you wouldn't use them they can be resold probably for more that you will have to pay for them. Maybe the egr pipe that runs around the back of the engine if you have the 2.3 although that's sometimes a hard one disconnecting. And any small items that are easy to take off, these are getting hard to find in many parts of the country. I know I haven't seen any here for quite a while , at least in the pick and pull yards.

#6 ·
I appreciate the tips itsmehb. I'm in Idaho, they have some good yards in the Treasure Valley. I was about 30 minutes too late today and they hauled the 94 pickup to the crusher. They were just removing the last 3 cars in that row as I walked in :cry: I'll never know if there was anything decent on it. I did see the other 3 and there are several things I will go back and get tomorrow. I'll also take some pictures. After my trip, I have a couple of questions:

Are Auto front hubs worth grabbing? There are 2 pairs in the yard that I could grab as a spare. I have manual hubs now.

Are chrome door handles as rare as they seem? My truck has them but the 6 p'ups/rodeos/passports that I saw today all have plain black plastic ones. I need a driver's side in chrome if someone has one they'd be willing to part with.

Is it an easy swap to put the bucket seats and center console from a passport into a p'up?

What does the stock jack/tire iron/spare tire lowering tool setup on a p'up look like? I Don't have any of these on mine and was unable to locate any today...but I don't know exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks all!

Alex

#7 ·
dankly1 said:
I appreciate the tips itsmehb. I'm in Idaho, they have some good yards in the Treasure Valley. I was about 30 minutes too late today and they hauled the 94 pickup to the crusher. They were just removing the last 3 cars in that row as I walked in :cry: I'll never know if there was anything decent on it. I did see the other 3 and there are several things I will go back and get tomorrow. I'll also take some pictures. After my trip, I have a couple of questions:

Are Auto front hubs worth grabbing? There are 2 pairs in the yard that I could grab as a spare. I have manual hubs now.

Are chrome door handles as rare as they seem? My truck has them but the 6 p'ups/rodeos/passports that I saw today all have plain black plastic ones. I need a driver's side in chrome if someone has one they'd be willing to part with.

Is it an easy swap to put the bucket seats and center console from a passport into a p'up?

What does the stock jack/tire iron/spare tire lowering tool setup on a p'up look like? I Don't have any of these on mine and was unable to locate any today...but I don't know exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks all!

Auto hubs wouldn't be my first choice if you already have manuals.

Chrome door handles along with chrome bumpers and 15x7 alloy wheels we call snowflakes are on the highest model Isuzu offered.

You should start a build post in members rides section, that pick-up is really nice.

Post a photo of your options data plate on your firewall. You may even have the G80 option which is the LSD rear end.

See page 3 of my build for the Rodeo seats I put in my 89 RS. Only had to modify the rear mounts on the seats for them to fit. You may have a problem with the seat belts though. I used my old belts.https://www.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic. ... 9&start=50
Passport seats should mount the same way, and I think they could be modified to fit.

Not sure of the OEM jack and other equip. for the pick-up. Probably different that my 89 Trooper.

Funny thing about this winter weather. A few days ago it was minus 2 here in North Texas and Colorado Springs where my Daughter lives it was 17 above, go figure. But must be cold up there in Idaho. Beautiful area of our country. Visited there many years ago.

#8 ·
If you see a Trooper with the 4 cylinder, it will also have that bracket.

#9 ·
dankly1 said:

I swapped in buckets from a '92 Rodeo into my '89 Pickup. They bolted right in with no modifications and I was able to reuse the seatbelts and seatbelt buckle socket from the bench setup.

The jack is an isuzu bottle jack with a long lever for the chain/winch thing under the bed. I'll try to get a pic of it for you.

I need a set of Isuzu mud flaps which I've learned were standard on the "Big Tire" package (alone with 4.56 gears). Other things I'd grab if a 2.6 ever showed up in a junkyard near me would be the MAF sensor assembly, intake, throttle body, and thermal valve (it's gray plastic and very brittle apparently). My thermal valve came already epoxied up.

#13 ·
If you see something at the junk yard you like, or might need, BUY IT. The price of scrap is up right now and good Isuzu's are getting crunched. It's a shame. The nearest PicknPull had two good pickups I was pulling parts off of when I had the time. Found some good compatible parts off a Rodeo too.Then one Saturday I found they had all been crushed. Then if you're after bigger ticket items, PicknPull usually has a 50% off sale on Holiday weekends, Happy hunting and good luck with your pickup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.