Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Rookie from France

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  tooffy 
#1 ·
Hello Dudes,

1st point: Sorry if my english is kinda poor, i do my best to avoid any mistakes, fell free to highlight it, its always a good thing to be corrected :)

I'm connecting from France, we own an Opel Frontera V6 (same vehicle than Isuzu Rodeo) LWB with 3.2l petrol, MT.
It has already been lifted up by 50mm, and reveived little care: new springs, shocks, brakes, exhaust, clutch, fuel pump...
Yes, i spend a lot of time working in/behind it, to make it a reliable everyday use car. :evil:

Although we own a RV ('1982 bedford CF), we're considering equip the Frontera to use if for outdoor activities:
This means being able to sleep into/onto/near it (to begin we'll use en floor tent, and if we decide later, a roof tent) and having in it the usefull stuffs (cooker, water, cooler...), and it would drive us to places that CF is not able to reach.
I think i'll be able to find useful informations here, as there re lot more vehicules like mine abroad from France.
i'll check whether I can find some example of camping equipped Rodeo across the forum.

Thanks a lot for reading this,

See less See more
#4 ·
Bienvenue dans la Planète! Your English is excellent, BTW.

When you get a chance, post some pics of your rig. Perhaps you have some with beautiful scenery in the background, that would be wonderful!

What you're describing is usually known as an "Overland" build, and there are a few of those threads here. Use the "Search" feature to find them.

Here's a Trooper build you might find interesting: http://expeditiongeorgia.com/project-tr ... -part-two/

And this is a Pickup Expedition build that might give you some inspiration:

https://westcountyexplorersclub.com/201 ... n-vehicle/

There are tons of pics on Overland Troopers when you do an internet search, not so much on Rodeos, but that doesn't mean you couldn't do the same thing to your rig.

Check YouTube as well, I saw some pretty good videos there.

Cheers & Good Luck on your project.......ed

#5 ·
Thanks for the answer.

"Overland built" was the vocabulary I needed to be able to search more efficiently.

We discussed with my wife, no need yet to build something integrated.
Yesterday we found some metal and wood cases to fit in the trunk

This morning, I spend a little time around the car, and this is how the 1st test will be done:

Blue box for car care stuffs (oil, tools, snowchains)
2 other boxes for food gear, meybe enough space left for the cooler (i must check).
[/url]

Behind rear seats: hand winck + handle + 20m cable
[/url]

This will be the space where I revove the folded seat, and make a crate for the 2 dogs, my son sits on other side.

before we buy a rooftent, we may try with the floor tent we have now (same: no need to waste money if we feel like it's not for
us in the end).
Camping gear with be upon the crates.

It's just a "simulation" now, we'll make it with the gear in the boxes (as we already have all), then i'll check about how to secure all in the car (to prevent from moving as car is running).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.