Isuzu SUV Forum banner

1st Gen Trooper v3.0, LX9 swap

19K views 81 replies 7 participants last post by  Red0ktober 
#1 ·
I'll be picking up a 3500 for my Trooper tomorrow, out of a 2005 Chevy Uplander with 29k miles.

I'm going to keep my 3.4L rattling through winter (has a lifter issue) and hopefully start on the swap in a few months. Gives me some time to get the details worked out.

Things I know need to be addressed:

• Motor Mounts - made or modified for the different mounting bosses
    Intake Manifold - possibly relocate TB for clearance, maybe to the side like the SOHC 3.2
    Oil Pan - aluminum pan will need reshaped to mimic the 4x4 pan if a diff-drop doesn't provide enough clearance.
    Wiring - mostly have this sorted out already from my previous multiport exploits, will run from a 1227727 ECU
    Exhaust Manifolds - Make or modify, yet to see how useful the LX9 manifolds will be.

#2 ·
Swap on iron heads and use TBI LOL.

Sounds like fun! I am looking to doing similar on my S-10 first and when the kinks are worked out I may consider it for the Trooper.

#3 ·
I've been missing the multi-port ever since I took it off. It's just better. And if all goes to plan, this should net me about 40HP over the 3.4L.

There's a guy over on the 60 degree forum swapping an LX9 into his Pup, hopefully we can come up with some solutions together. Not sure how progressive his project will be though.

#4 ·
The new SFI is leaps and bounds above the old OBDI system. One day I will be getting some of these projects of mine wrapped up.

Working on a carb and tbi top for the base of the 3X00 manifold. Also working on a long runner TBI and Carb intake for the iron heads to try and make them breathe better.

#5 ·
Well, I'm still going to be running this as OBD1 MPFI. Seems to be pretty common practice with the swappers. I'll see if I can talk a .bin out of someone as a starting point.

I already have a 1227727 ECU (the underhood weatherized version of the 1227730). I might get a '7730 though; those are the same form factor as our '8062 so it will bolt nicely in the same location. Likely have to re-pin/re-connector the harness though.

I have a standalone harness already made up for the '7727 out of the original 3.4L harness. I tested it in the garage, but never drove with it. But I'll probably make a new one with the 3500 harness when I get it.

#6 ·
Yea OBDI ECM's are probably easier to swap in. Less wires and such. Although if an OBDII system was available and I had means to program it I think I would put out the effort to swap it in.

Have fun with the swap if you get it all done I am sure the Trooper will haul ***.

#7 ·
betterthanyou said:
Yea OBDI ECM's are probably easier to swap in. Less wires and such. Although if an OBDII system was available and I had means to program it I think I would put out the effort to swap it in.

Have fun with the swap if you get it all done I am sure the Trooper will haul a--.
That's exactly it, availability and reprogrammability, I think I can handle a few extra wires. Though I think you'd have to strip out quite a few from the PCM/Transmission. I think the OBD1 system works so well with these cross-generational swaps that no one has really bothered with cracking the OBD2 PCMs.

I would love to have a 3900 with VVT and Active Fuel Management running OBD2. Maybe someday, for my Trooper v4.0 project...

#8 ·
Motor mount will bolt right up to the right side, but left will need one fabricated. Nothing lines up on that side. Might have to do a remote oil filter as well.

HOPING the steel 4x4 pan will bolt up if I use the 1st Gen timing cover, otherwise I'm gonna have to get creative with the band saw and the TIG. Even with a diff-drop, that pan will not clear.

#9 ·
Man the left isn't even close lol.

Well I can vouch for the awesomeness of the Canton Racing remote filter adapter and the remote mount. Absolutely amazing quality and flexibility. For what you get the price is very good.

I know the old pan will not work simply because of the bolt pattern and the cross bolted mains of the 3X00 motors. You would be better off in the end to keep the rugged aluminum pan which ties the mains together and offers better cooling and quietness.

#10 ·
Maybe I can just notch the front to clear the diff, taking into account 1-1/2" diff-drop so I don't have to reduce the sump capacity quite as much.

#12 ·
I might not have read it, but are you running the LX9 on the old system you ran the 3.4 off of? I know that the 3.5 is based on the old 3400, but was just curious because of the LX9 only coming with ETC (aka DBW Throttle) while it was in production.

#13 ·
Correct, the 3500 uses an electronic throttle. However there is an adapter plate available for mounting a conventional throttle, including one from an Isuzu 3.2L.

#14 ·
I'm thinking the easiest way to sort out my exhaust will be to get the 2.8L S10 headers and have them re-flanged for the 3500 and modified to fit in the Trooper.

#16 ·
Popped off the timing cover/water pump assembly. I thought I heard tell of a coolant passage that would need sealed if you wanted to run a 1st gen timing cover, but everything looks fine to me.

Those headers are Pacesetter 70-1201 for a 2.8L S10 "Auto only".

http://www.pacesetterexhaust.com/headers_truck.php

I've heard of the S10/S15 headers being modified to fit a Trooper. I forget what the catch is, starter location or somesuch. I'm sure the y-pipe would be useless for us, but the bulk of the work might be done. If I get a set, I'll mock them up on a 2.8L so you guys can see before I hack them up.

I'm going to have to run something custom or modified anyway. Suppose these are a good starting point. I'm not confident in building something from scratch myself.

#19 ·
Also less expensive. I'm imaging a clearance issue on the right side though, but my imagination isn't always spot on.

Summit has this pic of the hedman:

#21 ·
If it were your money...

Hedman or Pacesetter?

#22 ·
Red0ktober said:
I've been missing the multi-port ever since I took it off. It's just better. And if all goes to plan, this should net me about 40HP over the 3.4L.

There's a guy over on the 60 degree forum swapping an LX9 into his Pup, hopefully we can come up with some solutions together. Not sure how progressive his project will be though.
Too bad in Maryland the law is that you can only install a motor from a vehicle from the same year and above. =(

#24 ·
I ordered the Hedman headers and I came up with an intake idea. Have to do a bit of measuring and see what my TIG man thinks.

My spare motor mounts are still on an engine at my friend's place, I keep forgetting to pull them.

-Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.