Isuzu SUV Forum banner

1989 Isuzu Trooper Engine Upgrade

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  vogel 
#1 ·
I have a strange question. I have two 1989 Isuzu Troopers. One has a bad 4 cylinder engine, and the other has the 2.8 V6, but the electrical system is shot. Other than the engine and transmissions, they are the exact same truck, down to the color. I was wondering, how hard would it be to put the 6 cylinder and transmission into the 4 cylinder truck, as it is in much better shape, except for the engine.

#2 ·
The wiring is going to be completely different. The 4 cylinder is an Isuzu engine, and the 2.8 is a Chevy. There will be differences in both engine and dash wiring, and you'd probably have to swap the V6 instrument cluster in to get the gauges to work. I believe the 4 and 6 cylinder transmission crossmembers are also different. There may be differences in the radiator and fuel pump as well, but you have a parts truck for that.

Not a small job.

#3 ·
Here's what I know:
I agree with Gwana about the wiring.
I KNOW from experience that the V-6 models have different frames for the automatic tranny and the manual tranny. The automatic trannys are longer and also have different drive shafts (front and rear)
The 4 cylinder models MIGHT have the same spacing from front mounts to rear crossmembers as the V-6 models, but the front brackets are different.
You probably could swap the 4 banger in where the 6 was, or vice versa, but plan on swapping the entire wiring harness - THIS will also pretty much include removing the entire dash (I know, I started doing this in a boneyard). Dennis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.