Isuzu SUV Forum banner

4l30e install problem

4K views 40 replies 2 participants last post by  playful0 
#1 ·
hi, i bought a new 4l30e 4x4 trans for my 97 passport and its at the shop to be put in, i had them rebuild the engine as i just dont have a place to do it myself.. while i was at it i bought new trans for it and had it shipped to them. they are telling me the electronics on the side are not the same. i am going up there tomorrow to look at it but has anyone run into this?

#3 ·
Starting in 2000 the 4L30e electrical connectors were changed to a 4 Pin overdrive section connector and a 7 Pin main case connector. The 1990-1999 4L30e transmissions have a 5 Pin overdrive section connector and a 4 Pin main case connector.

The image of the transmission you purchased looks like it has a 7 pin main case connector. If the transmission came from a 2000-2002 Rodeo/Passport/Amigo Rodeo Sport you could rewire it and use it.
If it came from a 2000-2002 Trooper or 2002 Axiom it is unusable.

The image is a 2000-2002 4WD Rodeo/Passport/Amigo Rodeo Sport ID tag 96018555

Attachments

#4 ·
do you know what i need to switch to make it work?
i am so glad you popped on this morning i know you are the 4l30e master from all the stuff ive read here over the years.

either way thank you

#5 ·
playful0 said:
do you know what i need to switch to make it work?
I do know how to modify a 00-02 4L30e to work in your truck, there are 3 different ways to make the modification. Some electrical connectors and wiring modifications are necessary. Who is going to do the work?

#6 ·
i will be doing the work, i am trying to get ahold of a 7 pin from a local trans shop now. i have a parts truck i stripped the harness male plugs out of.so i have a 6 inch section of wire attatched to the old ones, i did find you put some info on another page (funny how after searching you dont see it then after asking you do) i found the info at

https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopi ... 22&t=71505

so at the moment i am trying to identify which color wire is which, are the plugs there looking at them from the wire side or the plug side?

i am a pc hardware tech and do alot of electronics work so im assuming i can figure this out once i get my wires stright, (and i need to make a ground correct?)

#10 ·
well if i can get a hold of the 7 pin plug from the trans shop and build myself a ground for the new one (i assume i can just ground it to the trans caseing?) then i should be ok to go. thank you a ton buster and i will let yall know how it goes

#11 ·
ok this is what i have so far, does it look correct? the other page i found you had talked about this on says on the 7 pin should be top pin (E)1 pressure control return and the one to its left (D)2 should be temp low, however looking through everything i seemed to think top pin was temp high and the one to its left was solenoid power?? please see if my chart here looks right

this is comming off a 97 so i am useing the 97 color code, just want to be sure i have them going to the correct plugs on the 7 pin

sorry its upside down

Attachments

#13 ·
ok i have confirmed the pin out you have in the other post was correct for the 97 buster and that one i found from the https://www.transmissiondigest.com/the- ... onnection/ is incorrect..... as i am useing the wiring scamatic and your pin out map match, so i just have to be sure which on the 7 pin is which is high and low in that other one you did you gave a pinout that had high as pin 1 and later in it you said the pin 1 was low

#14 ·
here is how you had it said and sorry for so much comming at you,, so, so far i am sticking with my color coded chart i made a few posts up if you can tell me if it is correct

2000 and newer
7 Pin connector
Main Case Connector
Pin 1--Temp sensor High
Pin 2--Solenoid power
Pin 3--1-2/3-4 (Shift A) solenoid control
Pin 4--Temp sensor Low
Pin 5--NOT USED
Pin 6--2-3 (Shift B) solenoid control
Pin 7--PWM Band solenoid control

4 Pin connector
Overdrive Case Connector
Pin 1--TCC solenoid control
Pin 2--Pressure Control solenoid control
Pin 3--TCC solenoid return
Pin 4--Pressure Control solenoid return

99 and older 4L30e
Main Case Connector
Pin A--2-3 (Shift B) solenoid control
Pin B--PWM Brake Band solenoid control
Pin C--Solenoid Power
Pin D--1-2/3-4 (Shift A) Solenoid control

Overdrive Case Connector
Pin A--TCC Solenoid control (The return is chassis/case ground)
Pin B--Pressure Control solenoid control
Pin C--Temp sensor High
Pin D--Temp sensor Low
Pin E--Pressure Control Solenoid return

----------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------

your other post had said

Pin-1 Red/White (ATF Temp Low)
Pin-2 Gray/White (+12 Solenoid Reference Power)
Pin-3 Green/Red (Shift A Solenoid Control)
Pin-4 Red/Black (ATF Temp High)
Pin-5 No Connection
Pin-6 Green (Shift B Solenoid Control)
Pin-7 Brown/Yellow (Band Solenoid Control)

#16 ·
cheer i got 6 junk yards around, only 1 had a 2001 passport no one else had a 2k or newer passport or rodeo, but its trans harness was still there so i have the 7 pin connector, now to be sure im doing it right lol...

the 7 pin and 4 pin are they the only changes i need tomake?

#18 ·
The temperature sensor is a thermistor, it is located in the internal wiring harness and connected between the two pins.

In a 00-02 Rodeo/Passport PCM the wire connected to pin 1 of the 7 Pin is called AFT Temp Sensor Return ("Lo"). Pin 4 of the 7 Pin is called AFT Temp Sensor signal ("Hi"). Since it is a thermistor there actually is no signal or return, the resistance changes with temperature.

#19 ·
awesome buster thank you a ton, is everything else interchangable? so i only need to do thoes 2 plugs?

#20 ·
playful0 said:
is everything else interchangable? so i only need to do thoes 2 plugs?
In your 97 transmission the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) solenoid is controlled by a +12 Vdc signal that is applied to one side of the solenoid coil, the other side of the coil is mechanically connected to the valve body. Because the transmission is bolted to the engine block the TCC solenoid DC current return is chassis ground which is connected to the battery negative terminal and Alternator frame.

In the 00-03 4L30e transmissions the return side TCC solenoid coil has a dedicated connector. Because there were no spare pins in the existing electrical connectors for this added conductor new connectors were added for a total of 11 pins as opposed to the 9 pins on the 90-99 transmissions. The TCC solenoid return is connected to the PCM in 00-02 Rodeo/Passport, 00 Amigo and 01-03 Rodeo Sport (and 00-02 Trooper and 02 Axiom).

In your truck the return for the TCC solenoid will be still be chassis ground, you will have to externally connect pin 3 of the 4 pin overdrive case connector to a chassis ground point to complete the circuit.

The image shows the harness connector FACE, these connectors are what you are going to wire up.
All you need is 4 pin harness connector and a 7 pin harness connector.

If you connect the 9 PCM signal conductors to correct pins and add the TCC ground the transmission will work properly. Be sure you do not have a Trooper or Axiom transmission.

Attachments

#21 ·
the guy i bought it from says its for a rodeo/passport so i am assuming it is, i know assumtions are bad things i am unsure how to tell for sure though.

and thank you so much for all your help, im going to go fix the wiring this morning, i'll let you know how it goes

#22 ·
ok i made the patch cable way to long but its all made and ready for them to install, i took the old plug out of the old trans so i could make a plug and play type cable for them, hopefully ill get a call in a day or two telling me its got its trans installed and the rebuilt engine done.. ill let ya know ..... fingers crossed....

thank you a ton Buster

#23 ·
well after 4 months the engine is rebuilt and the new trans is installed, i just picked it up today..... so far on the way home i am getting a p1860 which is tcc solinoid, so i wonder if the ground they did isnt working or something from where i made the harness??? also on the way home the whole pass side of the car is now covered in trans fluid, do yall think it could have been over filled and is blowing out the excess or what? also after the 30 mile trip home when i came to a stop getting off the highway it was hesitent going into 2nd like i was letting the clutch out slowly on a stright drive.. any help figuing out what i need to do would be wonderful, and thanks

#24 ·
oh lso the new trans seems to be missing a plate right at the front bottom, almost like a inspection cover or something i can see the flywheel from under it through this big area, i was wondering what the plate is called so i can find one to put on it

#25 ·
buster please tell me your out here somewhere lol.... oh by the way i was going to take it for a short drive downt he street today to see if i could figure out where the trans fluid was comming from, but it wouldnt hardly go into gear today like its way low on fluid, so tomorrow or monday i hope to check its fluid level, i have to figure this leak out i cant get my hand up on top of the ledge of the pan on the pass side as the front drive shaft and exaust is in the way so i am going to have to drop the front drive shaft to check and make sure there are no missing anything on that side i guess. i honestly am at a loss as to where its comming from but i will find it i have to, the starter is makeing a clank npoise like i am holding the starter on while its running for a split second after it starts as well which is new, not sure if it is doing something wrong or if its cause that bottomplate in the front is not there so its just loud when it wasnt before????

#26 · (Edited)
The 3-4 Accumulator is on the RH (passenger) side of the transmission Overdrive section case. If the snap ring that holds the cover in place comes loose ATF will blow out of the transmission at the 3-4 upshift. If you drive the truck with low ATF you will destroy the transmission.
Automotive tire Camera lens Camera accessory Cameras & optics Rim

You will have to make a bellhousing inspection plate or get one at the junk yard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.