Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Can a tranny from a 2wd Trooper replace a 4wd tranny?

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Buster28 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 Trooper 2wd, and want to put that tranny into a 1999 4wd Trooper. Will it work?

If it works, will it require a lot of extra parts, or will it be better to rebuild the 1999 tranny?

Both are automatic.

#4 ·
The 4L30e transmission in a 2WD 00-02 Trooper is the same as a 4WD 00-02 Trooper. The 2WD trucks use a special long transmission extension housing that contains a long tail shaft that mates with the 4WD transmission on one end and has a rear propeller shaft mating flange on the other end. The special extension housing and shaft make up the distance of the missing transfer case so that a 2WD and 4WD 00-02 Trooper can use the same rear propeller shaft.

The 00-02 Trooper 4L30e uses a Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) control system. The 90-99 4L30e uses an On/Off TCC control system therefore the 99 4L30e will not work properly in a 00-02 Trooper. The 00-02 Trooper also uses a special Torque Converter that has a more robust clutch friction material since a PWM TCC is designed to slip more than an On/Off TCC.

The transmission electrical connectors on the 90-99 4L30e are not the same as a 00-02 4L30e. The 90-99 4L30e has a 5 pin OD case connector and a 4 pin main case connector. The 00-02 Trooper has a 4 pin OD case connector and a 7 pin (6 used) main case connector.

Bottom line is you need a 4L30e transmission from a 00-02 Trooper or you need to rebuild the one you have.

#5 ·
Thank you for the quick response. This is excellent info. Now since i have both, is one better then the other?

I love my trooper, and am on my third one. Since it has been born with every option known to Isuzu, i want to keep it for a coffin. So which tranny should i rebuild?

#6 ·
You can't use the 99 4L30e in your 02 truck and you can't use the 02 4L30e in the 99 truck. The PCM controls the engine and transmission. The PCM in a 98-99 Trooper does not have same engine control and TCC control electronics as a 00-02 Trooper PCM so you can't swap the PCM. If the objective is to get the 99 truck on the road you will need to rebuild the 99 4L30e.

#8 ·
The 99 Trooper has less engine control electronics and an On/Off TCC so imho that it is the better truck because there are fewer things to malfunction. You can also use a Rodeo 4L30e transmission in the 99 Trooper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.