Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Fuel pump access panel.

8K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Honestbroker 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
IMG_20201015_173252275.jpg
Just completed the johnny 5 fuel pump access panel mod in my 88 trooper while I have my interior removed.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks Mike. I saw this on one of the Johnny 5 videos and decided to do my 88 trooper while I have the interior removed. I just rebuilt the 2.6l last spring and added a new high compression head, bored .020 over, higher compression pistons, pacesetter ceramic header, top end grind cam. Also did the Johnny 5 hot water through intake delete and moved all sensors and ignition module to top of engine and egr delete mod. It has much more power than before but it's still a 4 banger. I've been in poor health for the last two years and can only work on it when I feel good. I used to be a race engine builder for many years and it still seems way underpowered. My plan is to put in a modified GM LS engine and tranny swap if my health holds out. I know I would have to do a fuel pump swap if I do the LS change over. Even if I don't it's still much easier to replace the fuel pump. Thanks- Batman?!

Attachments

#5 ·
Duntov, I watched a Johnny 5 video about this mod. I changed the cutout dimensions a small amount. I measured the width of the metal strip that holds the carpet down at the back doors. I was 54" and I divided that in half,27". The center screw that holds down the metal strip was right there. I measured straight up 12 3/4" and made a dot with my magic marker. Then measure from the passenger side panel right behind the inner fender well. Stretch the tape measure across the cargo bed . Place a dot at 22" and another at 28" aligned with the first dot on center ridge. From the 2 out side dots measure up 6" on each side. Take a straight edge and make a 6" square with the 4 outside dots. I used a high speed pneumatic die grinder with a 1/4" arbor and a thin 3" cutoff wheel. I believe was 1/16" thick from harbor freight. They come in a five pack for a few bucks. I cut slowly along the lines and didn't hit anything below with the cutoff wheel. I had access to a junkyard trooper which I cut out a piece with about 1&1/2" oversize on all four sides. I used 6 round head screws with built in washers. There are horizontal supports spot welded to the underside of the floor metal. Your cargo floor should be the same as mine. You can easily see the spot welds and the dimensions I provided should put the hole be between two horizontal supports. The piece I cutout of the junkyard trooper fit perfectly in the ridges and didn't interfere with the new carpet I just installed. Just installed rear carpet and my recently painted back seat. Good luck- Batman!

Attachments

#8 ·
I bought the carpet kit from Stock Interiors part number 8003005 86-91 4 door complete 801 black cut pile (3594). I installed the rear piece today and it fit perfectly. You do have to cut holes for the rear seat and seatbelts & 4 cargo tie down hook bolts. I pressure washed my old carpet and let it dry for a couple of days. You will need the old carpet to lay on the new to aid in cutting holes for the bolts and rear seat latch on floor. The original factory carpet was 3 big pieces and the new is 2 big pieces. I called Stock Interiors customer service number and spoke with Logan. He gave me some good tricks and installation info to make the job easier. The rear cargo area carpet was a piece of cake but the front carpet is going to be tough. The factory front carpet is 2 separate pieces and the new is only 1 piece. But after talking to Logan I believe that it will look better than the factory by eliminating 4 overlapping seams. I'm starting on that tomorrow, will post pics when finished, thanks Batman!

#11 ·
batman said:
Duntov, I watched a Johnny 5 video about this mod. I changed the cutout dimensions a small amount. I measured the width of the metal strip that holds the carpet down at the back doors. I was 54" and I divided that in half,27". The center screw that holds down the metal strip was right there. I measured straight up 12 3/4" and made a dot with my magic marker. Then measure from the passenger side panel right behind the inner fender well. Stretch the tape measure across the cargo bed . Place a dot at 22" and another at 28" aligned with the first dot on center ridge. From the 2 out side dots measure up 6" on each side. Take a straight edge and make a 6" square with the 4 outside dots. I used a high speed pneumatic die grinder with a 1/4" arbor and a thin 3" cutoff wheel. I believe was 1/16" thick from harbor freight. They come in a five pack for a few bucks. I cut slowly along the lines and didn't hit anything below with the cutoff wheel. I had access to a junkyard trooper which I cut out a piece with about 1&1/2" oversize on all four sides. I used 6 round head screws with built in washers. There are horizontal supports spot welded to the underside of the floor metal. Your cargo floor should be the same as mine. You can easily see the spot welds and the dimensions I provided should put the hole be between two horizontal supports. The piece I cutout of the junkyard trooper fit perfectly in the ridges and didn't interfere with the new carpet I just installed. Just installed rear carpet and my recently painted back seat. Good luck- Batman!
Woohoo thanks for dimensions!!!!

#13 ·
I did that mod over two years ago on my 93 trooper . I used stick butyl rubber strip stuff to re seal the sheet metal. I was going to use silicone RTV , but the rubber is sort of reuseable. Cheers , Eric

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.