Isuzu SUV Forum banner

91 trooper engine swap

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Ed Mc. 
#1 ·
I have recently gort my 91 trooper has the 2.8lwith auto tranny it is getting up there in miles at almost 270000 miles. So i am thinking probably goodtime to start looking into a new motor. Was wondering if anyone knew what motors were compatible for the easiest swap i have heard S10 2.8 and 4.3 are. And how hard is it to put a manual tranny in if i were top get a new motor. Thank you for any info or the push in the right direction

#3 ·
There is a whole thread on motor swaps for the 1st gen troopers. Depends if you want to use existing motor mounts/trans etc.

If you are good at fabbing motor mounts and other stuff then the sky is the limit like Shawn said. I can't imagine how tight a 350 would be in that thing though. I used to have a Merc Mountaineer with a 5.0 and that thing was majorly shoehorned into the engine compartment.

#4 ·
"S-10 2.8" is slightly different (starter on wrong side and oil filter housing different). You COULD get a special jig and drill starter holes on the correct side and use your existing oil housing.
4.3 - completely different animal - ain't going to happen w/o extreme modifications.
Auto to manual conversion: don't attempt without a complete donor vehicle available. All front exhaust is different (4-5 pieces) front and rear driveshafts are different. Crossmember will have to be moved. Also need pedal assy, tranny, clutch, plumbing.
Installing ANY other engine will require extreme electrical modifications. Dennis

#5 ·
A 3.4 out of a '93-'95 Camaro/Firebird would be a pretty straightforward swap. You do have to drill the block for starter relocation to the driver's side, but there's a drilling jig kit for that: http://rodneydickman.com/product_info.p ... cts_id=179

The swap uses all of the 2.8's accessories, intake & exhaust manifolds, timing cover, distributor, flywheel. They all bolt up to the 3.4, which externally is almost indistinguishable from the 2.8. It has a crankshaft with larger stroke, and larger bores, significantly more torque than a 2.8 and way more HP potential, depending on how you build it. Up to around 180-190hp with performance cam and other hot-rod techniques.

You've a good idea there, to change to a manual transmission; the 4L30E is trouble-prone and putting a hi-miles trans behind 160+hp is a recipe for failure.

Best thing would be to find a wrecked or rusted V6 Trooper or 3.1 V6 4WD Rodeo and rob the transmission, mounts, pedals, hydraulics, etc for your swap. The MUA5 is a plenty-strong trans and the 3.4 won't stress its limits. I can't recall if the rear driveshaft is different between manual and auto, but if you have a donor rig sitting there, you'll have every part, nut, and bolt you need to complete the transmission swap.

If you'd like some info on this swap, send me a private message with your email address listed, and I'll forward the swap info files to you.

I have a 3.4-swapped 1990 Trooper LS and have been very happy with its performance over the last 19 years. They'll probably bury me in it!! :mrgreen:

HTH & Welcome to the Planet...........ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.