92 trooper engine swap

Discuss anything related to drivetrain mods here (Engine &Transmission Swaps, lift, gearing, exhaust, etc)

Moderator: Staff

92 trooper engine swap

Postby jrock » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:20 pm

Contemplating replacement of original engine in 92 Trooper LS. Has anyone swapped in a Chevy V6?
jrock
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: 92 trooper engine swap

Postby bassmatt72 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:34 pm

I'm considering the same thing with my '90 trooper? Trying to find info and advice my self!
bassmatt72
Drives on Pavement

Postby geoffinbc » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:07 pm

Do you currently have a V6 or 4Cyl engine?
1990 Trooper, 3.2L (3.1L .040 over) Pushrod V6, 5 speed manual. 33X10.50X15 BFG M/T KM2's. 3" OME Lift. Cowl Induction Intake. ARB Lockers front and rear. HD Tierods.
Off the road for an overhaul right now.

Big Bore Intake Kits & Greasable Shackles Here
geoffinbc
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 356 times

Postby bassmatt72 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:29 pm

geoffinbc wrote:Do you currently have a V6 or 4Cyl engine?

2.6, 4ZE1 4 cyl.
bassmatt72
Drives on Pavement

Postby geoffinbc » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:21 am

Having the 4Cyl in my opinion the best Chevy V6 to use with an Isuzu manual transmission is a 3800. It will bolt up to a V6 Trooper 5 speed which you can swap in very easily. This at least allows you to keep the drivetrain stock. If you have an automatic then I would switch to a 4.3L since you won't be able to use the 4cyl auto and the 4L30E behind the Isuzu V6 is barely adequate I would swap in a 4L60 and a passenger side drop transfer case. Either way it is a lot of work. But both engines have a lot of support.
1990 Trooper, 3.2L (3.1L .040 over) Pushrod V6, 5 speed manual. 33X10.50X15 BFG M/T KM2's. 3" OME Lift. Cowl Induction Intake. ARB Lockers front and rear. HD Tierods.

geoffinbc
I am the Stig

Postby bassmatt72 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:05 am

Thanks for the info!
bassmatt72
Drives on Pavement

Postby Ed Mc. » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:01 am

Any of the GM engines with a 60-degree V6 bolt pattern could be used, as Geoff was saying. The 3800 is one of those. But you'd have to use the transmission out of an '89-'91 2.8 Trooper, or a 3.1 Pickup 4WD or Rodeo 4WD.

The MUA5 trans behind the ZuZu 3.2 engine has a different bell housing and a GM V6 won't bolt up. To use the 3.2 MUA5 trans, you'd have to either make an adapter plate, or swap-in the entire front case of a GM-V6 transmission.

I can't recall too many Gen II swaps, there's at least one running around with a Chev LS in it. And an MUA5 won't handle the torque of an LS. So a transplanted transmission and transfer case are required.

Anything else is gonna be a lot of research and parts manufacturing/adapting, because there's about Zero aftermarket support.

You could swap-in an Isuzu 2.8 or 3.1 Turbo Diesel; there is thread here where someone is selling them. You'll also find them on JDM import sites and eBay. A bit of work involved, but hey at least you know it'll fit, because Jillions of Gen II's are out there world-wide running with those diesels. Typically those 4-cyl diesels will come with the transmission, which simplifies things considerably. And the simpler 2.8's and 3.1's will sit there on a pallet on the floor, and run with minimal electrical. Makes the wiring job a cinch!

BTW the 3800 swap requires some machine work to the 3800 flywheel so it would work on a 2.8 etc transmission. The Fiero Dudes have done lots of 3800 swaps and there may be still some custom flywheel mfrs out there. Here's some flywheel info pulled from the archives at Pennock's Fiero Forum:

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Arch ... 97824.html

Don't forget on any engine "foreign" to the Gen II, you're gonna have to work out all the EFI wiring. Maybe some sort of stand-alone system might do in that case. Unless you build it all yourself, probably ain't gonna be cheap.

Here's a 3800 stand-alone harness for $499: https://swapspecialties.com/product/380 ... e-harness/

And a few more links:

http://www.gmtuners.com/swap/3800.htm

https://www.fastfieros.com/catalog.htm

http://www.motorswap.org/

Use a '96-up Camaro/Firebird 3800 and it'll already come configured for a RWD vehicle. AFAIK the FWD 3800 block can be used but might be more difficult to adapt.

HTH..........ed
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
'89 Troop RS (Exhaust Valve Challenged), now gone to a Good Home!
Yes, I am a Trooper-Holic!!!
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 386 times

Postby Ed Mc. » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:13 am

Just to avoid corn-fusion, I just realized Geoff was speaking more towards a Gen-1 4-cyl-to-V6 swap. Whereas most of the info I posted would be applicable to a Gen II swap as the OP was asking.

But good point, a Gen-1 4-to-6 swap can be done with a 2.8, 3.1, or 3.4. Or with the 3800 and a bit of flywheel work and other "stuff".

The 4-cyl to small V6 is probably the easiest since it's the most like the factory build. If you had a rusty or wrecked 2.8 Trooper, 3.1 Rodeo or Pickup, you'd have pretty much all the parts you'd need to do a swap, and you could even swap over the throttle-body EFI if you want to. Or you can run a carb on the little V6, which makes things quite simple.

The 3800 is certainly more work, since there's no configuration of ZuZu that came with that engine. But you're starting out with a 4-cyl so anything you put in there is gonna be some work! AFAIK there'd be no other choice with a 3800 than to run it EFI. Don't think there are any carbureted manifolds out there.

Well, that's what happens when you start talking Gen II and Gen I swaps in the same thread!! :drunken: :mrgreen:
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
I am the Stig

Postby geoffinbc » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:11 pm

That is the way I see it Ed. If you are starting from a 4Cyl and want a Chevy V6 then they will all be "work". Since the 3800 is a little bigger and more powerful than a 3.4L yet will work with a factory MUA5 from behind a 2.8L or 3.1L Isuzu to me it is the best solution. 3800 motors are easy to find and have way more support. A 3.4L Camaro motor is a rare thing these days. Finding a 3800 Series 2 or 3 is an easy task. I am pretty sure the intake can be turned 180* but don't quote me on that. The supercharged version would be pretty bad ---. In that case the intake for the blower has to remain in the back but I have seen lots of fabricated elbows to put the throttle body on the side. So that may be pretty damn cool.

geoffinbc
I am the Stig

Postby Ed Mc. » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:06 pm

geoffinbc wrote:That is the way I see it Ed. If you are starting from a 4Cyl and want a Chevy V6 then they will all be "work". Since the 3800 is a little bigger and more powerful than a 3.4L yet will work with a factory MUA5 from behind a 2.8L or 3.1L Isuzu to me it is the best solution. 3800 motors are easy to find and have way more support. A 3.4L Camaro motor is a rare thing these days. Finding a 3800 Series 2 or 3 is an easy task. I am pretty sure the intake can be turned 180* but don't quote me on that. The supercharged version would be pretty bad ---. In that case the intake for the blower has to remain in the back but I have seen lots of fabricated elbows to put the throttle body on the side. So that may be pretty damn cool.

Yeah, the biggest argument for the 3.4 is when updating a 2.8 (or 3.1, for that matter), because of the simplicity of the swap.

All that goes out the window when you're doing a "foreign" swap to a different engine family. You're right that the 3800 is a decent engine, it's something like 200hp and 240 ft-lbs which is right there at the limit of MUA5 reliability. Being able to bolt it up to a 2.8 transmission simplifies things a lot.

It looks like there's plenty of support in the "3800" world for swaps, so if someone isn't up to converting a factory harness, they can throw some $$$ at an aftermarket harness.

You might recall Dan "Houlster" Houlton did a 3800SC swap in his Amigo, over 20 years ago. It turned out great but there was quite a lot of fab work required. Certainly would not be a simple swap.

http://4x4wire.com/forums/ubbthreads.ph ... 15233.html

IIRC he has posted a SC thread here as well.

A normally-aspirated 3800 should drag an ol' Gen I around pretty good! And probably get better mpg doing it. It'd do a pretty decent job in a Gen II, as well.

IDK why no one (that I know of except for Dan's SC3800) has tried it.

BTW it seems like Texas may be one of the only places where the Camaro/Firebird 3.4 is not a rare item! Guess they sold lots of 'em down there!! :mrgreen:

Cheers............ed
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
I am the Stig