Anyone with experience using a 4ze1 flywheel on 4fb1?

Discuss anything related to drivetrain mods here (Engine &Transmission Swaps, lift, gearing, exhaust, etc)

Moderator: Staff

Anyone with experience using a 4ze1 flywheel on 4fb1?

Postby BigAl51 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:17 pm

This is a copy of a post that I put on the Isuzupup website. Trying to cove as many bases as possible to get this project back into positive progress:

At the risk of dropping a turd in a punch bowl, has anyone tried using a 2.6l flywheel on a 1.8l diesel to get a larger clutch surface?

I am trying get my project back in action, but I am having bolt pattern issues with the flywheel I have. I have an 8-bolt flywheel, but I need a 6-bolt flywheel. While checking out the bolt centers last night (they are the same by the way), I saw an old 2.6l flywheel I had from an 1989 Amigo. I placed it on the crank just to see how it would fit, and it went on just like the 1.8l. The bolt centers appear to be the same. I was able to start two bolts that were opposite each other by hand. I measured the ring gear stand-off from the back of the engine with a tape measure, and they were pretty close if not the same (did not have my glasses with me at the time).

So here is the main question - Since I will have to get the bolt pattern changed on the 1.8l, why not just use the 2.6l flywheel instead of cutting up a perfectly good, rare 1.8l flywheel? If it works, it would give me access to parts that are more readily available as well as a larger clutch surface.

Any insights are welcome,

Al
Al Tounsand
'99 Rodeo 4x4, 3.2, 4L30-e, limited slip rear end
'95 Rodeo 4x4, 3.2, 5-speed
'86 Suzuki Samurai project, 4FB1 engine/drive line swap (just started).
BigAl51
Drives on Dirt

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: Anyone with experience using a 4ze1 flywheel on 4fb1?

Postby BigAl51 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:45 am

In case anyone is wondering - it does work
Al Tounsand
'99 Rodeo 4x4, 3.2, 4L30-e, limited slip rear end
'95 Rodeo 4x4, 3.2, 5-speed
'86 Suzuki Samurai project, 4FB1 engine/drive line swap (just started).
BigAl51
Drives on Dirt

Have thanks: 0 time