Trooper cab removal

Discuss anything related to drivetrain mods here (Engine &Transmission Swaps, lift, gearing, exhaust, etc)

Moderator: Staff

Trooper cab removal

Postby TroopDawg » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:10 pm

Body swapping a 2 door 1985 teooper body onto a 4 door 1990 trooper frame.

What do i need to disconnect to remove the cabs? So far i see 8 body bolts, the clutch line, the brake line, radiator, and the shift sticks removed, steering wheel, speedo cable, maybe a few ground wires. Am i missing anything?
The “Green New Deal,” is the genicide of “Classic American Culture and our Generational Past Time.” -California Citizen

NO DEAL
TroopDawg
Super Trooper

Have thanks: 6 times

Sponsor

Re: Trooper cab removal

Postby gruff54 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:39 pm

Not all of the body mount positions are the same. I modified an '89 frame to accept an '87 2 dr body. Pretty sure you have to modify the rear 2 mount positions, the ones in each corner. I think I started a thread on it, but it's been several years ago. Will see if I can find it. Not sure whether the '85 mounts are different from an '87?

Mike
'88 Trooper 2.6L 5 spd
'89 Trooper 2.6L 5 spd
gruff54
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 80 times

Postby gruff54 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:52 pm

Here ya go. From the replies, it seems the '86 and earlier were different from the '87. Best way to go about it would be to remove both bodies and set the frames side by side and compare.

https://www.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79660

Mike
'88 Trooper 2.6L 5 spd
'89 Trooper 2.6L 5 spd
gruff54
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 80 times

Postby TroopDawg » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:02 am

I scrapped the 4 door 1990 body down to the frame! It is literally... exactly the same for mounting the cab. Only difference in the frame that i can quickly see, is the center cross member and leaf spring mounting deaign.

Besides that. I was able to keep the front clip on the 90 in tact, motor and all. I took razor pliars to make clean cuts at the wiring harnesses that come through the firewall. I dont want to guess and mix elecric parts from a carb to efi or from an 85 to a 90. By cutting the harnesses at the firewall... i am able to leave everything plugged in and connected. I will replace the dash and every electric component in the cab. So all i will have to do is match color for color when the time comes. The front clips in the 85 and 90 are exactly rhe same as well. Ill take some pocs. Im not great at explaining and i am typing in my phone
The “Green New Deal,” is the genicide of “Classic American Culture and our Generational Past Time.” -California Citizen

NO DEAL
TroopDawg
Super Trooper

Postby TroopDawg » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:05 am

Pics of the 1990 frame
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NO DEAL
TroopDawg
Super Trooper

Postby TroopDawg » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:34 pm

Confirmed. The mounts described in the link above were also in need of relocating for me. I dont plan on doing any super heavy crawling! So im taking a short cut. Im using a pilot bit to drill upward through the mount and all the way through the body. Ill buy the bolts and washers needed to get it swuished nice lol! I dont have time or the means to relocate my mounts. My driveway rig was sketchy enoigh when it came to doing the hody seap. I didnt want the body in the air for too long!

Ill be doing this with all the other cab bolts tight and after many measurements.

NO DEAL
TroopDawg
Super Trooper