Engine swap

Discuss anything related to drivetrain mods here (Engine &Transmission Swaps, lift, gearing, exhaust, etc)

Moderator: Staff

Engine swap

Postby Tytytrooper » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:40 pm

I have a 1991 Isuzu trooper 2.8L 5 speed manual transmission and I’m looking to do an engine swap to get more power..
Was looking at ls1 any other ideas or any engines that have high power and fit in easy?
Tytytrooper
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: Engine swap

Postby geoffinbc » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:27 pm

The easiest swap is a 3.1L or 3.4L. It is as basic as it gets. Same engine family but bigger displacement. Next easiest would be a Chevy/Buick 3800 because it still bolts to the transmission. An LS4 will bolt to the transmission as well and will fit under the hood but it is more difficult to find and the starter on that engine bolted to the transmission so it will need some retrofit.

If you want a regular LS1 then you may as well change the whole drive train.
1990 Trooper, 3.2L (3.1L .040 over) Pushrod V6, 5 speed manual. 33X10.50X15 BFG M/T KM2's. 3" OME Lift. Cowl Induction Intake. ARB Lockers front and rear. HD Tierods.
Off the road for an overhaul right now.

Big Bore Intake Kits & Greasable Shackles Here
geoffinbc
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 351 times

Postby Ed Mc. » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:08 pm

I have a collection of info for the 2.8-to-3.4 swap. As Geoff said, it's the easiest one to do. With a few power-adding mods you can get a 3.4 up to around 180hp or so. I can attest that my 3.4 LS is a LOT faster than a stock 2.8!

Be aware that if you're planning on adapting an engine with a lot of torque to the existing MUA5 transmission, it's reliable only up to around 250 ft-lb. It won't last long if that limit is exceeded.

If interested in the 3.4 swap, send me a Private Message and be sure to list your email address. I'll forward the files to you.

Cheers......ed
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
'89 Troop RS (Exhaust Valve Challenged), now gone to a Good Home!
Yes, I am a Trooper-Holic!!!
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 331 times

Postby geoffinbc » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:15 pm

Ed Mc. wrote:I have a collection of info for the 2.8-to-3.4 swap. As Geoff said, it's the easiest one to do. With a few power-adding mods you can get a 3.4 up to around 180hp or so. I can attest that my 3.4 LS is a LOT faster than a stock 2.8!

Be aware that if you're planning on adapting an engine with a lot of torque to the existing MUA5 transmission, it's reliable only up to around 250 ft-lb. It won't last long if that limit is exceeded.

If interested in the 3.4 swap, send me a Private Message and be sure to list your email address. I'll forward the files to you.

Cheers......ed

Has anyone ever pushed an MUA5 to the breaking point? It seems quite robust. I remember reading the center distance between the input and lay shaft is larger than a T5 which means it has larger gears and bearings which one would assume means it can handle more torque. Some T5 versions are rated over 300ftlbs of torque. In our applications large tires and lockers shocking the drive train are more likely to kill any transmission rather than input torque.
1990 Trooper, 3.2L (3.1L .040 over) Pushrod V6, 5 speed manual. 33X10.50X15 BFG M/T KM2's. 3" OME Lift. Cowl Induction Intake. ARB Lockers front and rear. HD Tierods.

geoffinbc
I am the Stig

Postby Ed Mc. » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:55 pm

Jerry is the one who told me about the torque limitations of the MUA5. If someone wants to swap-in a Torque-Monster engine, I suppose they can do their own real-world durability test.

My 3.4 might put out 190-200 ft-lb max, so it's not coming anywhere near the transmission's torque limits. A Camaro 3800 V6 makes 200 hp and 225 ft-lb, so there should be no issues with that one either. The 3.5 in later Troopers has 215 hp, but I couldn't find the torque output. I'm betting it's less than 250.

IMHO if someone were planning on swapping-in a 320 hp 335 ft-lb LS 5.3 V8 (the earlier models have a bit less output), they should probably plan on a trans that's known to be capable of holding up to the torque/hp of that engine.

Pretty sure there's at least a few LS-swappers in here, it'd be good to hear from them!
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
'89 Troop RS (Exhaust Valve Challenged), now gone to a Good Home!
Yes, I am a Trooper-Holic!!!
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 331 times

Postby geoffinbc » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:34 am

True. A manual transmissions biggest cause of failure is shock loading. If you drive like a sane person it should last. I wouldn't be towing 2000lbs with my foot to the floor in 5th gear either.

geoffinbc
I am the Stig

Return to Drivetrain Mods