Isuzu SUV Forum banner

New type of gas can

10K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  SSSRodeo 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I like it. Simple, ergonomic, and seems well thought out. I too would wonder how long that seal would last, but I am willing to buy one, and see how it does.

#4 ·
Yeah, evidently too new for any reviews. I'm always leery of "moveable" plastic parts as they just don't seem to hold up. But it couldn't be much worse than the types that have the valve built into the spout. :evil:

Mike

#5 ·
I guess I am old-fashioned. Pouring from a can with a top spout has worked forever. Removing the spout allows the can to be sealed very well. This can just doesn't look like it will hold up.

#9 ·
I saw that one on SG's website and didn't click on it because it looked like an overthought gas can that would just piss me off. I have a large collection of gas cans ranging from the vintage "roof rack swag" for static displays up to the large 5 gallon awesome plastic ones that just plain work. I usually buy my gas cans at estate sales, since they are typically a buck or two and are always better than the ones for sale today. The only new one that I've bought lately is the Eagle safety can with funnel that I got off of woot.com for like $26. This one: http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-UI-50-FS-Ga ... B00GVJAXZQ .

In reading the reviews on that one, it seems that the chief complaint was that it didn't hold 5 gallons (duh!) and by the time you closed the valve, there was still a nozzle full of fuel down the chute, which overflows small tanks and doesn't solve the spill proof design that is mandated. I would suggesting looking old vs buying new.

#10 ·
I like that better than any of the other plastic cans on the market. Those idiotic "pull in on this while pushing on the can whilst holding it upside down and aiming the too short pipe into the recessed filler on the side of your car" valves just piss me off.

Don't like $45 for a plastic can....

I would absolutely LOVE to have a couple of Eagle or Justrite or just some old steel jerry cans... but gas cans disappear faster than a Yeti cooler at a lake party around here. idiot boys and their idiot friends....
Whenever I buy a gas can I have to consider it disposable... $10 tops.

#12 ·
I was moving things around in garage and came across a gas can that I picked up about a year ago. I hadn't yet cleaned it up and it still had the $5 price tag from the estate sale that I snagged it from. It is called a Blitz Fuel & Tool. It's a metal 1.5 gal can with latches on each end. The top lifts off and there is a tool box below. My dad had versions like this when I was a kid that were 2-1/2 gal tanks the full size of mine and without the tool storage. Mine is missing the spout but I'll just throw a small funnel down in the bottom half!

Attachments

#13 ·
N law said:
It is called a Blitz Fuel & Tool.
That's pretty cool!

I need to start scrounging for a couple of decent old gas cans. The older boy is out of the house now and the younger one is working and only home to raid the fridge and sleep.. so maybe my stuff won't disappear so fast.

There's a junk collector downtown that has a perpetual yard sale that covers a city block. I spotted a couple of old cans there once but didn't have cash on me, my wife was looking for something.

A thread in Tool and Shop was talking about removing rust with soda and electrolysis... I wonder if that could be used to derust an old gas can? Put the water and soda in the can and hang the sacrificial steel from a string inside the can?

#14 ·
I came across another gas can accessory that EVERYONE here can appreciate! We were in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge at the beginning of the month and I stopped in a little tool store. It's the same that they have in all of the tourist trap cities across the country. Nothing was a great deal, but they had a lot of unique items. One that stuck out and made it into my basket was the EZ Pour Replacement Spout and Vent Kit. It's not a gas can... But it's everything but the can! I have heard about these things and how they have been threatened to shut down. It was $11 for the kit. I haven't used it yet (just found it in a bag I had forgotten about!) but I've heard great things.

Attachments

#15 ·
I"ll bet not many of you have ever seen these. You Military Guys most likely have!

This 5 gallon can is actually an insulated food transportation can that looks like a NATO Military Fuel Can.

Unlatch the top and you'll find an aluminum food container inside to transfer bulk hot foods to feed the troops in the field.

The green can is insulated inside to keep the food hot. Pretty cool! Makes a great Ice Chest for Sodas. Fits right there like these two fuel cans in my gas can carrier rack.

I have spent a lifetime collecting these different cans. All total I have about 15 Military containers. And about that many plastic civilian ones.

I have US, NATO and French Fuel Cans.
BTY, Blitz makes plastic water grade containers that are just like the military fuel cans. Perfect for showers and washing.

See the little 2.5 gallon half size one?
It's not a fuel can. It's a French Army Wine Can. Yep! It's for wine.
Never been used! Thought about filling it with Puerto Rican Rum a few times, but never have.
And it fits in my fuel can carriers just like the 5 gallon ones.

Here's an odd fact. NATO Fuel cans have a narrow neck while French Army Fuel cans are wide mouth.
Although they look the same externally and dimensionally, they use different size spouts.
The spouts have those flex steel necks on them, but I have learned to slip a plastic hose over the steel one to help avoid leakage.
A partial downside to the spouts is ahe spouts are not designed be on the cans when transported.
But, the lid seals can be locked down to prevent fuel theft or accidential spills.

Personally, I prefer the French Cans because they pour faster.

And did you know each can has a content label that you can change. I sometimes carry kerosene for cooking and heat or Diesel in mine.
I change the labels to prevent having to sniff the contents.

#16 ·
I like my Nato can as well. I had one of the small ones, but found it to not be worth the effort. Mercedes has a factory can that fits inside the spare tire. I always wanted one, although never enough to spend the money for it.

Looks like there is one on ebay for $165:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/orig-Mercedes-S ... r9&vxp=mtr
-Tad

Attachments

#17 ·
Tad said:
I like my Nato can as well. I had one of the small ones, but found it to not be worth the effort. Mercedes has a factory can that fits inside the spare tire. I always wanted one, although never enough to spend the money for it.

Looks like there is one on ebay for $165:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/orig-Mercedes-S ... r9&vxp=mtr
-Tad
Yea I had one like that in my 63 VW BEETLE. No clue what happened to it. Those are slick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.