Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Impulse buy...

7K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  -88- 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
A friend of mine that works at Harbor Freight gave me a 25% off friends and family coupon. No restrictions, good for total purchase.

I've been jonesin for a 10 ton porta power but even with 25% off I can get one cheaper on eBay.

Ended up getting a new gear puller and a set of O2 sensor and diesel injector sockets.

IMG_20160619_112522.jpg

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I was hoping pretty hard for the title to be a ironic pun.....

Extremely disappointed not seeing an isuzu impulse in here

#3 ·
-88- said:
I was hoping pretty hard for the title to be a ironic pun.....

Extremely disappointed not seeing an isuzu impulse in here
sorry to disappoint.

#5 ·
Good luck with it. I personally have never bought anything from them. Too many horror stories out there of failed jack stands ect. Chinese tools under a lot of pressure scare me.

#6 ·
N law said:
Is it a hydraulic and gear powdered puller?
No, not powdered at all, you're thinking of french toast. sorry.. I've been quite the smartalek lately.. on purpose.. so I've been told.

Yeah, 3 jaw gear puller with a hydraulic ram instead of a screw. 12 ton... Dang thing is fairly massive too. The jaws appear to be forged instead of cast like the cheap pullers I usually see on their shelves.

The reviews I read on it were good... seems to be very good at pulling gears off of diesel engines. So between the puller and the diesel injector sockets I bought at the same time... it appears one of the demons in my head still wants to pursue a diesel transplant in the truck.

I'll let that demon duke it out with the one that was researching transmissions to put behind that old FE block.. they can sort it out and let me know what my next engine/trans will be.

Sorry James. I don't always make puns... but when I do, it's an accident. (picture me drinking a Dos Equis when I say that)(and having hair)(and being interesting)

#8 ·
squatch said:
Good luck with it. I personally have never bought anything from them. Too many horror stories out there of failed jack stands ect. Chinese tools under a lot of pressure scare me.
I haven't tried it out on anything yet but handling it putting it together it seems pretty well made. Compared to most HF tools it's really impressive.

Since they put a store in the Falls years ago I've become a connoisseur of cheap chinese tools. If the important bits are cast, it's a paperweight... like most of their front end tools and the screw types pullers. Eyeball metal thicknesses compared to the loads you're going to put on them. And ALL of their "channel locks" are complete junk. The drills with the black casings wear out even faster than the last Black and Decker I bought but the hammer drills with the red casings are pretty tough. ... not Milwaukee tough... but at least DeWalt tough. Only trouble I've had from their jack stands is the roll pins on the release handles breaking... every dang one of them. I've got about 6 pair of jack stands bought from a lot of different places, everybody skimps on the roll pins...

#9 ·
Von said:
Only trouble I've had from their jack stands is the roll pins on the release handles breaking... every dang one of them. I've got about 6 pair of jack stands bought from a lot of different places, everybody skimps on the roll pins...
I posted about this in my thread where they failed on me. Someone mentions towards the bottom that picking them up by the handle and letting the yoke drop acts like a slide hammer and fractures the pin, which then gives out when you load them up with a car. It was a scary realization for me. It reminds me... I need a lift!
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=54019&p=456155&hilit=jack+stand#p456155

#10 ·
N law said:
Yikes, yeah you do! My jack stands don't get used any more... I've thrown a few on the metal pile over the years because the handle kept falling out or got lost.
I'm so used to the pins being broken that I have the stand at the height I want it before I put it under the car... make sure the cam is engaged and the handle all the way in so the cam does it's job.
No idea how many stands I've bought over the years but I'm so used to those little pins breaking that it's just become habit to factor them into the process and work around them. And like Squatch said in that old thread... I keep the jack under there too as a backup.
Some tools are just crap no matter who makes/sells them.

I have one (1) jack stand that has held up. I think my Dad bought it 30 or 50 years ago. It's mate has long since disappeared and it's so covered in surface rust and dings that the original color or brand has been a mystery for years.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
My step son made an Impulse buy a month ago....
2016-07-14 09.27.25.jpg

For my main line tools I do prefer to have a better name brand, but HF prices are perfect for tools I don't use often or for the set I try not to lose at the junk yard.

Attachments

#12 ·
Now that's /\ a true impulse buy!!!! That's a sharp looking pulse to boot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.