Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Tie Rod Removal Tool

8K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Beamer 
#1 ·
Recently replaced my tie rod ends. Anyone doing this may benefit from renting this tool from O'Riellys.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
A few hits on the knuckle with a hammer would pop that tie rod right out! Just some advice in case you are ever in a jam.

#3 ·
I have found a big hammer and a bigger hammer will pop tie rods loose. Use the bigger hammer on the backside of where the tie rod mounts up and the big hammer to whack the frontside. It will shock the tie rod right out.

For those who might have trouble following: if the tie rod stud is vertical, the hammer hits are horizontal on the spindle at the tie rod mounting hole.

#4 ·
Yeah, don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

#5 ·
LOL, I rented one of those yesterday. Tried to use it today and it's way too small, the little claw won't fit around the studs on my tie rods.
Might try the Double BFH approach.

#6 ·
Just put new gears in the front end. Watched JohnnyFive's BFH technique on a youtube video. So i gave it a whirl, and it worked better than the pickle bar, or the pitman arm puller.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.