Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Wind Wing rubber replacement

7K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Needlebender 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Replacing the rubber is quite a job for a novice, but with the right tools it's doable - also protecting the paint on the door inside & out with a few layers of tape is a good idea.
The nuts that hold the window on are very hard to get to without a special wrench so I used a socket (standard & deep), three extensions & a ratchet to reach from bottom of the door(access hole).

My rubber was totally petrified, so chipping it out was like an Archaeological dig & took the most time. but once it's out the rest is pretty straight forward. One trick is to Hot Glue the spring & washers
together, push them onto the window bolt w/ a large socket & hope they hang there while you grab a 10mm socket & nut.
The only other thing I might mention is when removing the part of the rubber that is embedded in the track, it helped to make long diagonal cuts with a box cutter & remove triangular shaped strips..

If i missed anything - let me know

Test #5.jpg

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
This job is a pia. I've seen a lot of first Gen's that have that diagonal cut right behind the bolt and then sealed back together with RTV, quick and easy. Good for you for doing it the right way!

#4 ·
This has nothing to do with the wing window but the idea of using hot glue to hold multiple parts together was a stroke of genius. I just finished a R & R on a 1991 V6 Trooper engine and I put the distributor in on the engine stand !80 Deg. out DUH! so once installed had to pull dist. This requires removing the bolt and clamp in a real tight spot, gluing the bolt and clamp together and then gluing the wobble socket to the bolt head made it possible to get it back together SO A BIG THANKS DAVE

#5 ·
Awesome, thanks! This is on my to do list :D

cheers
-Ian :blackeye:

#7 ·
Two options: 1- don't drive over 40 MPH 2- More hot glue Seriously tho maybe try to source a new spring from a parts Trooper or add a couple of washers. Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.