Isuzu SUV Forum banner

what size and what feature's garage?

15K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Lyte 
#1 ·
I have gotten the go ahead from the budget & finance committee (wife) to get estimate's on a shop. We are in need of storage space and I really need space to work on my truck and trooper . We have a one and a half car garage attached to the house for her to park in.
I am thinking about going with a 24x24 ...would that be big enough I don't have a really big collection of tools but would love to get more I need a welding station space for consumables , air compressor, tool box's, refrigerator, heater and also a few parts

I would much appreciate some y'alls advice and input on how big to go and maybe some useful features to include

#3 ·
It takes 12x24 for all-around working access for one vehicle, the remaining 12x24 is about right for tools/work area or storage but not both.

#4 ·
Lighting....
Florescent is hard on the eyes, but cheap and efficient.

Supplement the florescent lights with incandescent to stop the "flicker". Even a big 500 watt work light on a stand...
Something to kill the florescent flicker...

WINDOWS.

electrical drop cords and double gang boxes near the WORK BENCH, with a vise.

A drop cord or two form the ceiling, especially one on a automatic retracting wheel, hung from the ceiling.

Air compressor and enough hoses to go outside the doors.

Shop vac that lives in the shop, and long hoses.

Water hose connection + MOP SINK. ( drain to outside, grey water..)

Hot water would rock... and that thing they call "soap" I think.

Fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, boogey man alarm system, Game camera.

Sound System,

Man Fridge.

coffee pot.

Dog Blanket, Dog Treats.

Big flashlight by the door.

Ceiling fan in the summer, or big barn rafter fan

Shop Metal Tall stools.

Comfy chair for taking a break.

Internet access for 'shop manuals, and Planet Isuzoo"

As big as you can make it, cause You will fill it up in less than one year.

#6 ·
One Suggestion....

Do NOT install a commode or shower OR COUCH !! !!

Next time you and the Missus have a lack of communication....
She will send you out there !!!

Dont give Her an easy "out"

And dont forget the dog water bowl : )
And a Toaster oven for the Hot Pockets / pop tarts

#7 ·
I'll third everything blitz said & reiterate WINDOWS!

my shop is 16x32 add benches on either side & the car isle is just wide enough at 12ish feet wide. The far end is storage/bs area 8-10ft by the 16 wide. Or i can SQUEEZE two cars in with the furtherest front being a long term type deal, and the rear being 'maintenance'. No cars in the way fabrication is a breeze....otherwise even just another 2ft wide would've been great. Super's 20x50 sounds delightful, but even 18x40 gives you depth to stack two cars deep & amply work beside them. I think my next shop will be two bays side by side tho. So for that I'm roundly guessing 24x30(or longer even) 24 gives moderate room at the hood & trunk, then a 10 to 12 foot berth for each car side by side...leaves a 6-8ft by 24 long section on one end or the other. For benches, tools & etc...but air compressor can just as easily be outside under a rain cover to save some space aswell as some other tools/items. Thieves/neighborhood pending....

the 2 things that decide dimensions in my book, the area you have to build, & the number/size/frequency of projects. My 16x32 works great for vehicle maintenance (projects less then a 2 weeks) with storage/small projects up front. But a long term project becomes an obstacle if I'm wanting to fabricate as I'm now having to work around the car in the middle. I do so many different/random things out of my shop, no dimension will ever be right except bigger.

#8 ·
Power- wire it for 208-240 single phase with at least one 30 amp circuit, more if you go with a big permanent compressor.

#9 ·
I have plans to add a 30x30 on to my house for the wife to have a place to park inside. I was looking at a simple slab, with a 2' block wall (to keep the studs off the ground) with an 8' stud wall on top. 4:12 roof trusses. Hardi board siding with no interior finishes. Minimal electrical (my current garage has all my needs met). I just got pricing back for ~$40/sf. That seemed a bit high to me, because I was thinking about $25/sf. I'd figure out your budget and work within that to build as flexible a space as you can with as much room to grow as possible!

#11 ·
radio for sure, I have fully insulated garage door holding in the heat of a 75,000 btu Modine. Still seems odd to step into the garage with a t shirt in the middle of winter. I get more quality time with the kids this time of year than any other.

#12 ·
Dang fellers, you've given me a lot to think about...I have read through most of this thread but need to read it again ....and search for images on the web
Thanks for all the cool info. Keep it coming

#13 ·
I did not read thoroughly through everyone's replies, but personally, I will interject this:

Go as big as you can afford. Why? Because once you start acquiring tools, gaining skills, and spending time in there, you are going to want as much room as possible. Over the years, I have slowly started to acquire more and more power tools, and in my garage, I am running out of space. I am seriously thinking of selling one of the vehicles to make more workable shop space.

Other than size, to me, the heart of any good shop is the air compressor. This would be the first tool I would buy, and not cheap out on. Make sure you install at least two 220 wall outlets, and set it up for florescent lighting. I saw up there some guys said windows, but I would leave out windows personally. Why? Windows will reduce your usable wall space for power tools, and offer additional ways for thieves to enter the shop. If you want natural light, add some skylights.

And the next MUST HAVE on my list, if you can afford to do it when you build the shop, is a sink. When I moved into my house, I added a small slop sink and it was easily the best garage addition I did. Being able to wash up without going in the house and getting a bathroom dirty is fantastic.

HTH,

Bart

#14 ·
Thanks a lot Bart I'm definitely doing an air compressor I have a good one now its 220 and will do the job for the time being ...And the bad part about what you aid about windows already went through my head I would likely know who it was that broke in so no windows
I do like sky lights though

#15 ·
Windows have nothing to do with light for me. Strategically placed they lower my shop 10-15 degrees, throw in some good fans, maybe a portacool.......but if security doesn't permit, sweat it out i guess.

#16 ·
-88- said:
Windows have nothing to do with light for me. Strategically placed they lower my shop 10-15 degrees, throw in some good fans, maybe a portacool.......but if security doesn't permit, sweat it out i guess.
I'm actually thinking about grabbing an A/C window unit from my brothers house that he hasn't used for a few yrs.
Yea I have a family member that may or may not barrow tools and other items. That somehow end up hocked anyway and I find them .

#17 ·
Just like and not as bad as of climate as some of you guys live but in middle tn it gets pretty hot sometimes

#19 ·
Dingbat said:
all of the above, plus a lift and/or overhead gantry crane
If you put in a lift make sure the ceiling/roof is high enough to accommodate the tallest vehicle you can put on it.

I'd like the slab poured six inches above grade to preclude rising water entry.

Pretty sure A/C would be cost prohibitive, so extra wide roll up doors opposite each other in the direction of the prevailing winds.

#20 ·
If it's going to be plumbed for water then a floor drain would be a nice feature too.

#21 ·
I would always say slope towards the doors just to keep water from standing. If clearance is an issue with a future lift, look into have trusses with added ceiling height. It would give you the same exterior look but with an added foot or two for maybe $10-15 a truss, which you might only need to do over the area where the lift is, which would only be a max of 10 trusses.

I kept windows to a minimum because I don't see needing to use them a lot. Mostly just to keep the outside from looking funny. If it's light you want, out fluorescent fixtures down the walls shining sideways in addition to overhead light. That'll really light up your projects. As for cooling, get a friend that does hvac who can get an old blower for a house unit. Wire it up to a plug and you a have what we call a yard conditioner. It moves a whole lot of air and they usually only cost you scrap.

#22 ·
I know the fan your talking of... We call it a squirrel cage fan the lighting idea sounds cool thanks. I'd really like to have a sink and also a dish receiver and WiFi connection

#23 ·
Decided on 24x24 with plenty incandescent light will have to have florescent also I'm going 22ft off the end of the driveway to the big door with concrete

#24 ·
There is so many reply's I have to add in that one feature I want in a shop if I am lucky enough to get one just for me. I want to have a storage area for my air tanks with retactable hoses that can reach 25 feet outside the furthest door. Being I am a mother those kids of mine can air up theirs and friends bike tires. But another feature is to be able to do everything needed for tire/rims in the shop. Girls gotta have a side business out of the shop for friends and family. It may be the only way I can talk the what is called the man of the house to let me have a shop...or new man

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.