Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Hi-Lift questions

10K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Gizmo42 
#1 ·
So I'm slowly inching towards the point where our floor jacks don't have the lift need to actually lift the tires off the ground. I was thinking about a new floor jack with higher lift, but the same price I could just get a hi-lift.

Two questions:

1) Is there a good enough reason to get the longer version instead of the 48"?

2) Are there any other manufactures I should look at other than hi-lift? I know HF makes a knock off but I would probably not trust that thing unless others have gone down that path before me.

Let me hear your opinions.

#3 ·
I have never used the HF version, but the Torin from Northern Tool is a solid jack & almost 1/2 price.I have personally used the Torin several times, never used a Hi Lift though so I cant compare the two.

#4 ·
So other than the many uses of a Hi-lift for getting out of some tough situations on the trails....I really don't see the practical use for a hi-lift as a jack. I supposed there maybe some bumpers you could attach it to as a jack but none really come to mind other than custom and it was designed in to bumper. Educate me guys, I really do dig Hi-lifts.

#5 ·
#6 ·
I have a farm jack and it does help however, you have to be very careful. I have had the truck fall and it is not fun.

Cronk has a bad Ace 02' Rodeo Vauxhall ===Build Thread=== and check out his bumper...

See anything?....

Now Look....

I will one day get some extra plate welded and mounted on my bumper for this Hi lift mount, front and rear.

Good Luck :D

cheers
-Ian :blackeye:

#7 ·
I have a HF farm jack and it works good but, if I knew how dangerous farm/hi lift jacks can be I would of went with a Hi lift just for the higher quality. If anyone is planning to get one of these please educate yourself on how to use it safely, they can hurt you bad, and need to be used with caution.

#9 ·
Look for an SUV floor jack with 21" lift height. They can be difficult to find but they are out there. And not the ones with extension that screws into it like the Torin, those arent all that stable.

Having grown up in the 70's when all American cars had bumper jacks I well remember the dangers so when it came time to get a farm jack for emergencies I went with Hi-Lift for the better materials. I rarely ever use in front or back though because the whole end can shift and fall over on even a slight amount of slope once both wheels are off the ground. I chock the wheels and use it on my sliders with a tubing adapter.

#10 ·
chuffer said:
Ravi,

Unless you have lift points for the hi-lift on your Rodeo, it is gonna be useless to you.

It surely isn't a proper replacement for a floor jack as a shop tool. I use my from time to time in the shop but I prefer the floor jack.
I know. This was more of an informational query rather than a immediate decision. Just seeing what people use.

#11 ·
Gizmo42 said:
Look for an SUV floor jack with 21" lift height. They can be difficult to find but they are out there. And not the ones with extension that screws into it like the Torin, those arent all that stable.

Having grown up in the 70's when all American cars had bumper jacks I well remember the dangers so when it came time to get a farm jack for emergencies I went with Hi-Lift for the better materials. I rarely ever use in front or back though because the whole end can shift and fall over on even a slight amount of slope once both wheels are off the ground. I chock the wheels and use it on my sliders with a tubing adapter.

Giz--

What is the the tubing adapter you speak on in your response?

Thanks!

--Biz

#12 ·
ravi261 said:
2) Are there any other manufactures I should look at other than hi-lift? I know HF makes a knock off but I would probably not trust that thing unless others have gone down that path before me.
I've been using a harborfreight farm jack for nearly ten years, with no problem at all.

And I don't baby it at all. It has had a tough life.

#13 ·
Bizmarkie said:
What is the the tubing adapter you speak on in your response?
Looks like this...

They are expensive for what they are if you dont have the stuff to make one yourself. I got mine from WabFab who supposedly developed them (large debate on that) but there are several other places that make them now. Just google "hi-lift tube adapter".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.