Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Torin "Big Red" Farm Jack

13K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Wicray 
#1 ·
Friend of mine gave me a new in box Torin Farm Jack, basically a cheaper version of a Hi-Lift. Just wondering if anyone know if the Hi-Lift accessories (mounts, base plate etc) will work with the Torin?

See less See more
#2 ·
I think these things are like AR-15's, extremely interchangeable based on the exact same design. I thought about one of those bad boys as a jack but as far as 4x4's go, they are made more for winching, or chaining to a wheel to lift it from loose dirt etc...not really putting on a bumper to change a tire. They look tough and bad azz mounted on a rig though!

#3 ·
I have a high lift that I want to mount on my 86 Trooper; any suggestions or pics as to the way you have mounted yours? or any suggestions as to the best way to mount one.
I saw a pic once where the Hil Lift was mounted standing straight up on the rear bumper; problem is, it was then higher than the roof, not to good in timber country or any country with lots of trees.
But Im open to suggestions.
Ken

#4 ·
Like the old 'bumper jacks' of yore, the higher you lift the load on this thing the MORE unstable it becomes and prone to flopping over and crushing whatever is under the vehicle. Ow!

hr2burn said:
I think these things are like AR-15's, extremely interchangeable based on the exact same design. I thought about one of those bad boys as a jack but as far as 4x4's go, they are made more for winching, or chaining to a wheel to lift it from loose dirt etc...not really putting on a bumper to change a tire. They look tough and bad azz mounted on a rig though!

#5 ·
Don't know if the accessories will fit or not. Best is to see if you can test fit them before buying.

As for where to mount the hi-lift type hack, my vote is inside the vehicle. In my build thread somewhere there is a pic. Main reason to mount inside is protection from the elements. Grit and rust in the ratchet mechanism is no bueno.

As for the danger-aspect of using a hi-lift type jack, there is an easy solution: pay attention to what you're doing. Yup, it's dangerous, but so are many other tools.

#6 ·
chuffer said:
pay attention to what you're doing. Yup, it's dangerous, but so are many other tools.
The world would be a better place if more people would live by these simple words.

#7 ·
Sorry to raise an old topic. Maybe this information will be useful to someone in the future. :D

I want to tell about my Hi-Lift Jack HL484 48″ Black Cast and Steel Jack. This is 48" cast iron and steel jack and is made up of four different component materials. All the parts are either cast or stamped steel.

This model is quite lightweight, coming in at only 28.9lbs, it delivers a very strong punch of performance.

Rated load capacity: 4,660lbs
Load capacity max: 7,000lbs (Tested)

This model comes with an easy to winch handle, durable mechanical operation, and a shear bolt, so if you decide to lift an M113 Bradley to change a tank tread, well it won't let you. The mechanism is easy to operate, so I don't sweat when applying this in any situation.

And one more model it's Torin Big Red 48″ like this https://mechanicguides.com/best-farm-jacks/ which my brother bought recently. The Torin Big Red 48″ ratcheting off-road utility farm jack weighs in at only 30.1lbs and it can life 6,000lbs from 5.12" to 40". So its an impressive piece of metal machinery.

This model conforms to ASME B30.1 standards, and it operates smoothly. It is used both vertically and horizontally and can be used for lifting, pulling, clamping, winching, and spreading.

The mechanism is really smooth, in fact, its one of the smoothest, we felt, so it competes with Hi-Lift.

It's one usefull video

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.