Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Spark Plug Socket & 1/4 in drive torque wrench mods

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  1GTrooperWannaB 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
IMG-4298.jpg

Just recently picked up a 95 Trooper with the 3.2 liter V6, SOHC engine. I thought I would share two tool mods I've made to make life easier.

Tool #1 Modified spark plug socket with "extraction tool hole"

With the spark plug tubes on these engines, I found that the spark plug socket wanted to "stick" to the plug and separate from the 3/8 drive extension after tightening the plugs. I checked on the forum and went to YouTube for ideas. In the end, I opted to drill a hole in the top portion of the spark plug socket, paint it white, and then modified a Harbor Freight pick tool to include a small hook that I can use to "grab" the socket using the new hole. It works great. I needed it on 3 out of the 6 plugs I installed. Word to the wise, you will need a very drill to make this hole in the socket. The cheap black oxide bits or even the titanium bits will not do the job. Ask me how I know :) I ended up using a Bosch 5/32 inch carbide tip drill along with some cutting fluid and it worked great.

Tool #2 DIY - 1/4 inch square female to 3/8 square male adapter

I have thought for sometime that it would be really helpful to use my 3/8 inch sockets with the 1/4 inch drive torque wrench. There are many cases where I want to set a low range torque on slightly larger fasteners. For example, the spark plug torque for the 3.2L V6 is 13 foot-pounds which is way too low to be accurate using the 3/8 inch torque wrench I have. So I decided to create this adapter. There may be a commercial version of this adapter available, but I couldn't easily find it so I made one. I took a 1/4 inch drive 1/2 inch socket and another short 3/8 inch adapter and welded them together. I used it to install the spark plugs which works out to a 156 inch-pound setting on the 1/4 inch drive Torque wrench. It worked great.

Hope these ideas can help others!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I have those adapters in Craftsman, Snap on, and Harbor Freight "Fine China". Basically can adapt any size 1/4 to 3/4 and back down. What's getting hard to find is individual sockets for making custom tools. Used to have a local Flea Market with a few tool sellers who always had a good range of sockets or wrenches and almost any name brand you wanted. Now the Flea Market property is about to become...Condos :evil: Dennis

#4 ·
Well this is a great conversation, because like the OP, this is always a little of an issue.

I've learned to solve it as using this as my last extension into the well:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-3-8- ... lsrc=aw.ds

This wobble extension let's me have that little wiggle it was hard to do by hand to get things out. Before, I just broke the plug with the socket then teased it gently out by hand so as not to loose it. But sometimes it became quite tedious.

#6 ·
When I had my 3.2, I would use a regular socket w/o the plug grabbing insert. I'd break the plug loose and loosen a few turns, then I would switch to a rubber fuel line large enough to fit over the insulator and complete the unscrewing and removal with the hose. I also used the hose for installing the new plugs. I keep a 6" and a shorter section of hose in my box for just these purposes.
If you think these are bad, try changing Ford Triton plugs. Dennis

#7 ·
at my work there are a bunch of spark plug sockets that have been turned in the lathe , to make their diameter smaller...

you could always tack weld the extension to the socket...or wrap tape around the joint where the socket and extension meet...

and yes, remove the rubber insert....if you are careful you wont break the spark plug...and getting that rubber insert off the plug, once the plug is in the hole, is a pain in the ***....and the rubber hose is a great removal / install trick...esp on install, the hose should slip if the plug cross-threads, saving you a heli-coil job :evil:

#8 ·
93trooperpooper said:
the hose should slip if the plug cross-threads, saving you a heli-coil job :evil:
One of the reasons I like to use them. And "taping a socket to an extension". I don't remember the exact job, but I still have aluminum duct tape on my 15MM socket from doing that. It held. Dennis

#9 ·
Thanks for all the great responses and ideas and it's good to know there are Craftsman adapters available for a reasonable price on Amazon. I like the idea of making a special welded extension/spark plug socket tool. It would need to be long enough to clear the spark plug tube hole but short enough to manuever into the the #6 cylinder next to the power brake booster which is really a tight fit on my 95 Trooper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.