Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Rust removal for small parts

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Skeletor 
#1 ·
12v battery charger, sodium bicarbonate from the spa store or similar, plastic tub, soap and water.
Remove grease and dirt with soap and water, mix 1 tbsp sod bicarb per gallon in a plastic tub. Connect neg charge lead to work piece, pos to a raw steel scrap piece. Do not use stainless as scrap piece. Submerge rusty part, place pos scrap steel 1" or less from rusty part.
BE SMART! YOUR DEALING WITH ELECTRICITY!
Turn on charger and close the gap between the sacrificial scrap and rusty part until amp meter shows 2 or so. Let it cook.
Lots of vids on yoooootube! BE SAFE!

#5 ·
I've had good success with this: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/ev ... over&pos=3
Just submerge the rusty part until the rust is dissolved, you can even re-use the liquid but the effectiveness is reduced. Make sure the container is plastic, not metal or glass.

#7 ·
robb5 said:
Kinda eliminates the potential of bad things happening which kinda ruins the fun. But I think I'll try it. Thanks for the tip.
I've also used coca cola to dissolve rust off small parts..the high sugar original classic coke, eats the rust up....then again, imagine what it does to your insides, if you;re a huge coke drinker....lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.