Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Lift

5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  NAES 
#1 ·
Early last month, I went with my friend/neighbor over to Indianapolis, and he bought a lit from Greg Smith Automotive. To save several hundred $$$ in shipping to Central OH, we took my trailer and he bought it there and we brought all 1800 lbs of it back. All told it was about $2400 plus tax without shipping.l

https://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-PV-10P

It took us a few days to get it all installed and set up in his barn, but WOW, is this thing awesome. Just after a few uses, it's hard to think we ever did things laying our backs under jackstands. This thing is awesome.

#2 ·
They are pretty darned handy. I used mine yesterday replacing the AC compressor on my daughter's Corolla.

I looked at Smith's and a few others in that price range, Weaver and Eagle and such. I think they were all the same lifts with different paint jobs made in the same Chinese factory. Good lifts though. I wanted a Worth or Mohawk but couldn't pay 2x+.

Got mine here...
https://www.naautoequipment.com/2-post-lifts-s/1269.htm
Seemed to be made of heavier steel than the Weaver. 2K with free shipping. I got the 9KAF, it's down to $1800 and free shipping.

#3 ·
Son-in-law has one in his airplane hanger near Tx motor speedway. When I had to drop he fuel tank in really came in handy. Don't know the make but looks similar to yours Von.

Attachments

#4 ·
And that will be one of the first things on "the list" at my new job. I'm thinking something with the capacity to lift a "one ton" dually truck. Have "kind of" looked at some websites, but we'll look more seriously after I get started. They will also be pouring a slab where they plan to install said lift. Starting from scratch.
Years ago, at my old house, I had an offer to have an in ground air / hydraulic lift installed. They were removing them from the shop to convert to above ground, and tha contractor (on the side) offered anybody one for 500.00 installed plus the cost of the slab (not officially - permitted - installed though). I didn't take the option. Here, I don't have the space (big enough garage). Maybe someday in "real" retirement. Dennis
Harry: it never ceases to amaze me at what some people have in their hangars. Down here, hangar space is such a premium, you wouldn't think of anything but your plane - unless you were seriously "rich". I did meet one guy who had an ownership hangar and fitted an "upstairs apartment" living quarters for himself, but that was all "on the sly".

#5 ·
Harry, that's a Worth lift. Made in Fort Worth and one helluva good lift. If I could have afforded one of those fancy pants Bendpak lifts I would have bought a Worth.

A guy I worked with was living in his airplane hanger. After his last divorce and heart surgery he just moved in with his little plane and took a medical retirement.

#6 ·
Von said:
A guy I worked with was living in his airplane hanger. After his last divorce and heart surgery he just moved in with his little plane and took a medical retirement.
That is about the same story as the guy I knew. There can be a mathematical equation here: Man + marriage + airplane + ownership hangar divided by airplane = man living in hangar. Only thing missing is the 60" flat screen TV. :D Dennis

#7 ·
I used to be able to use friends lifts. They figured out pretty quickly that it was rarely a 2 or 3 hour job once the Trooper was in the air. So rather than jeapordize any friendships, I bought an old Strongman lift off of Craigslist for 300 bucks. Worked fine for the 2500 and under stuff but was a little scary with the Trooper up in the air. If you've never seen one it is a 220 volt lift that is mobile, two fixed forks, big hydraulic cylinder and two outriggers on the back that you can adjust for stability. Also channel locks that lock when you are up in the air. My thought was it was better than jack stands, kind of. Long story short, after a few dumb *** moves on my part, I think the only solution is a fixed lift that's rated for about 5000 pounds and given safety concerns and the price they are selling for now, it is well worth the cost. Having done most of the work on my 90 on my back, I'm thinking sitting or standing will get me through a few more projects. Jackstands, cinder blocks, 4x4's and 6x6's and the occasional concrete drainage ditch all have thier place, laughing, but I'm following this thread to see who finds the best for less. I'm almost done with a 40 x 54 garage we put on the site of an old barn we tore down, built on a 5" fiberglass reinforced concrete slab (supposed to be stronger than rebar) and 8 piers underneath. Should be starting on the wiring and plumbing in August and hope to be moving everything in by October: only problem is if my wife does the square foot calculations and figures out it is bigger than our house, I might be living down there:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.