Isuzu SUV Forum banner

91' Trooper II w/ Frame Rust

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  squatch 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all -

My Trooper is in relatively good shape but as I am about to replace the front bumper I notice the first significant frame rust I have had the pleasure of encountering. It is on the cross member just below the [new] radiator and can be seen below.

IMG_20180204_171257.jpg

Questions:
1. Is this something that requires immediate attention?
- If yes, please let me know what that might entail and if you know of any trusted individuals/shops in the PNW (Seattle) you might recommend.
- If no, please let me know where you would place this on your timeline for tackling.

2. Considering the labor that would be involved with a repair what, with your personal experience, so you think I would expect to fork out for this?

Thanks and please feel free to educate me at your discretion.

FYI - I do not have the facilities nor the experience to make this my first attempt at frame repair.

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
They good news is that's a body piece and not a frame piece. Real common rust out place. I would start with cutting away any bad rust you have and seeing whats' left. Clean it up and coat the good stuff with POR-15.
https://www.por15.com/ if it's just the straight center section you can usually just patch it with fiberglass or by bending a piece of sheet metal and mig welding it on. That's what I did with mine.

Very common on 1st gens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.