91' Trooper II w/ Frame Rust

For all things chrome plated and greasy that don't mount to the truck

Moderator: Staff

91' Trooper II w/ Frame Rust

Postby dlaviolette » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:55 pm

Hi all -

My Trooper is in relatively good shape but as I am about to replace the front bumper I notice the first significant frame rust I have had the pleasure of encountering. It is on the cross member just below the [new] radiator and can be seen below.

IMG_20180204_171257.jpg

Questions:
1. Is this something that requires immediate attention?
- If yes, please let me know what that might entail and if you know of any trusted individuals/shops in the PNW (Seattle) you might recommend.
- If no, please let me know where you would place this on your timeline for tackling.

2. Considering the labor that would be involved with a repair what, with your personal experience, so you think I would expect to fork out for this?

Thanks and please feel free to educate me at your discretion.

FYI - I do not have the facilities nor the experience to make this my first attempt at frame repair.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1991 Trooper II
4 Cylinder 5 Speed
dlaviolette
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: 91' Trooper II w/ Frame Rust

Postby squatch » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:04 pm

They good news is that's a body piece and not a frame piece. Real common rust out place. I would start with cutting away any bad rust you have and seeing whats' left. Clean it up and coat the good stuff with POR-15.
https://www.por15.com/ if it's just the straight center section you can usually just patch it with fiberglass or by bending a piece of sheet metal and mig welding it on. That's what I did with mine.

Very common on 1st gens.
My builds are dead without the pics photobucket was holding hostage. The pics have been deleted and so have the links from my sig.
squatch
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 361 times

Return to Tool & Shop