Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Socket Marking and Organization

6K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  wmorrisiii 
#1 ·
Finally giving myself a couple of rolling 8 drawer tool chests for Christmas - tired of rooting around in tool boxes.

I want to label my gazillion sockets with larger numbers for easier quick ID (my eyes aren't what they used to be).

Any ideas? Thought about Dremel engraving large #s in each and filling with some type of permanent bright color, but that would prob. take me until next Christmas.

Grateful for any/all solutions from fellow squinters.

#2 ·
Pluffmud said:
Finally giving myself a couple of rolling 8 drawer tool chests for Christmas - tired of rooting around in tool boxes .

I want to label my gazillion sockets with larger numbers for easier quick ID
( my eyes aren't what they used to be ) .

Any ideas ?

Thought about Dremel engraving large #s in each
and filling with some type of permanent bright color,
but that would probably take me until next Christmas.

Grateful for any / all solutions from fellow squints .
[BBvideo 560,340:izjcakfr]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yxmjxaNw7w[/BBvideo]

#3 ·
Hahahaha. Hard enough keeping up with my reading glasses; I'd lose them. Or toss them after continually bumping them into sh#t under the truck. Going to try some metal paint.

#4 ·
I've actually thought about that too.
I was thinking I could mark my 10mm, 12mm, 14mm one color for Isuzu toyota stuff
And then mark my 17mm 19mm for more isuzu stuff
But then mark by 16mm and 18mm another color for the german stuff.
Spray paint maybe just so they stand out better in my tool box.
I'm great at spotting bolt sizes or nut sizes but looking at the tool box with all the sockets lined up, I still grab the wrong damn one half the time.
LOL

#6 ·
Pluffmud said:
Maybe I'll just hook the phone up to a Roomba - "SIRI, bring me the 17mm."
hahahaha!! That'd be awesome.

Tool B!tch! Fetch me a 17mm!

About the only time my sockets get cleaned is when I'm wiping them off to try to see the numbers better.

Some socket sets have bigger numbers etched on them, that's what I look for in a socket set when I'm buying now. My current socket bins consist of the remnants of about 15 different socket sets so the number styles varies.... makes picking through them even more fun.

#7 ·
My complaint is the numbers aren't etched deep enough. I have a half inch torque wrench that I have to hold just so in the light to see the markings.
But with the sockets, Harbor freight has a set that are different colors. Of course being color blind, that doesn't help me.

#9 ·
Those are nice boxes. Looked at them but I'm out of floor space to park them

Saw an infomercial on these last night.
https://hazukiglasses.com/

#10 ·
I'm getting eye surgery in Jan - haven't hit 60 yet and have a right eye cataract + astigmatism. :evil: Told the doc burn them with a laser, glue in a new retina, whatever - I want my 20/20 back. :!:

#11 ·
I have a set of Craftsman sockets I got years ago with the large laser etched markings. At first they were great, but these days some of them (the ones I use most) are pretty hard to read from general wear and abrasion. So I don't really recommended them (if they even sell them anymore, no idea).

#13 ·
I have the harbor freight color coded sockets. I love them because I can tell anyone,"hand me the green one" and know I'll get the 13. If I were organizing a large collection, I'd come up with a color series that distinguished each size from the next. What a better way than a quick glance?

Of course nothing helps if you are color blind like mentioned above...

#14 ·
I've tried that organization thing 100 times, and everything still ends up in a brown zip up bag behind the drivers seat. I guess that is an organizing system too, even if it is a ****ty one. :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.