Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Cordless impact

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  red cube 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Last year a pile of stuff showed up in my garage. Hilti 18 volt impact, drill, and a very sketchy grinder with no guard and an oversized blade. And one battery, no charger. I finally got around to getting another battery and a charger on ebay.

The grinder scares the crap of me... the drill is okay, it's a drill. But I used the impact for the first time yesterday... and I LOVE it. love it, love it, love it. I don't know how I lived without it so long. It's a little heavier than an air impact but no dragging an air hose around and no compressor drowning out the radio. And I think it's got more guts than the 110 volt electric impact I've been using. may do a comparison test with them both on the truck lug nuts.

Used it to change the clutch in my ex-husband-in-law's POS Wrangler that the boys have been driving. It was still showing a full battery after the job and it didn't break a sweat. haven't tried it on the lug nuts on my truck yet.

You can see it there on the driver's side tool shelf that Jeep was kind enough to provide.

IMG_20170823_115817970.jpg

There was also a Ryobi 40 volt battery in the pile. That's a good excuse to get a 40 volt Ryobi trimmer/edger.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Love my cordless impact. I carry mine and a spare charged battery out on the trail too.

#3 ·
They are awesome. And if you haven't used it to drive a lag or a screw into wood, you haven't even begun to scratch the surface. I love mine and if it broke, I'd go out tomorrrow and replace it.

#4 ·
I have a Dewalt 18 Volt, I have used it to pull rear diffs in yards, tires off of trucks/trailers and take apart engines on a stand. Every time I head out I make sure it is in the back of the Trooper in a bag. I picked up a HF double ended socket set so I can tackle about any lugnut. I have found it won't break everything loose so I also have a breaker bar in the bag. I stopped along the highway and helped out folks who have no idea how to change a tire. I have an extra battery in the bag also. Picked up all the components here and there and now have a nice kit. And I also would replace it in a heartbeat if it goes bad, but so far it has worked well for about 4 years now.

#5 ·
I still haven't tried the Hilti on the lugs on my truck yet. I used it to disassemble the Ford 360. I wanted to check the stampings on the crank and make sure it really was a 360... hoping for another 390 crank. That never works out.
the Hilti blew through all of it except 4 of the main cap bolts. I used the torque wrench, starting at 120 lbs. They busted loose at 180lb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.