Isuzu SUV Forum banner

air injection system

2K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  lowzone 
#1 ·
Hi guys I'm looking for a air injection system for a 95 Isuzu pickup with 2.3 L motor & 5 speed tranny. Apparently one of the prior owners took it off. Who knows whay but when I went yesterday to have emissions done the guy said it would pass but he would fail me anyway as long as that air injection system is missing. I don't have aclue where it even goes when I do find one. So if anyone has one at a resonable price please let me know. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Can you post a picture of the L/F of your engine so we can see what you have and what you need? Dennis
There would be: pulley (pulleys?, but IIRC it runs off the top pulley on the water pump), belt, pump bracket(s), pump, hoses, diverter valve, manifold. There may (probably is) a VSV that controls the diverter valve too.

#4 ·
https://www.google.com/search?q=Isuzu+2 ... FNv68ffVQM

In this picture, the silver thing just inside the fresh air hose. It has a belt running to the fan pulley and looks like 3 hoses going to it. There should be a mounting bracket (cast iron), a tensioning bracket (stamped steel) and the pump. Best pic I could find, but my security wouldn't allow a download.

Reactions: thumper
#8 ·
That pic is still showing the right rear of the engine. A pic of the L/F will show how much you need (specifically, if the bracket is missing - probably, and if the extra pulley is on the pulley) Dennis

#11 ·
DSUZU said:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Isuzu+2.3+air+pump&rlz=1C1GCEB_enUS884US884&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjcjv6lnoTxAhWxVN8KHfnCAzMQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1528&bih=706#imgrc=LVnTFNv68ffVQM

In this picture, the silver thing just inside the fresh air hose. It has a belt running to the fan pulley and looks like 3 hoses going to it. There should be a mounting bracket (cast iron), a tensioning bracket (stamped steel) and the pump. Best pic I could find, but my security wouldn't allow a download.
Be it days weeks or years when the pupil is ready the teacher appears!

#12 ·
If I'm understanding this right my complete system is gone. I will get another pic of the l side to you. You are talking the exhaust, plugs and alternator side correct? I have a empty old bracket that I have always thought was the old power steering pump bracket. Yep, they took the complete power steering out of it too before I bought it, which by the way how much work would it be to put that unit back in do you all think?

Attachments

#13 ·
A cast iron bracket attached to the (exhaust side) front of the head (3 bolts) is the correct bracket for the pump. The power steering pump mounts to the right side and is a combination of head and block mounting brackets.
Those pumps look like POSSIBLE correct, but no pulleys on them.
Do you have the extra pulley on your fan? Dennis

#14 ·
Previous owner tore the power steering pump out. I do think the extra pully on fan is still there. I looked up what lozone said about Isuzu ditching the system and pump after the 94 and then I read where 95 1/2 picked it back up and required it after that. The lady at the air quality board says she is looking in the manual they have and it states that my 95 is required. I'm very confused and frustrated to say the least. There are no signs that there was ever one on mine. The cheapest I can find the entire assembly with everything I need to try and put one is would be $400.00. I picked up a 94 awhile back for my wife and it doesn't have one either. The lady at emissions board asked me if the engine had ever been changed, I wonder if that would make all the difference? I found a 95 rodeo or trooper the other day at the junk yard, if they have it would it interchange with mine? :idea:

#15 ·
A picture of the left (driver) side of the cylinder head will help with this. If there are no plugs in the head, It may have never had an air system. The next thing: there should be a place on the driver door post with the build date (6/95 etc). If 95-1/2 had air pump and yours is beginning of year model, this might be proof. I had a 96 Rodeo with 2.6, but it was OBDII and it DIDN'T have a smog pump

#16 ·
DSUZU said:
A picture of the left (driver) side of the cylinder head will help with this. If there are no plugs in the head, It may have never had an air system. The next thing: there should be a place on the driver door post with the build date (6/95 etc). If 95-1/2 had air pump and yours is beginning of year model, this might be proof. I had a 96 Rodeo with 2.6, but it was OBDII and it DIDN'T have a smog pump
Only pic I could find is a 2.3 head, but the 2.6 is identical. The 4 holes that should have plugs in them are just above the 4 exhaust ports. No holes with plugs, no air injection system.

Attachments

#17 ·
So today I looked up the national phone number for Isuzu and asked about this air injection system (%$*#@&%&) that my truck was suppose to have on it. The guy made phone calls and a hour later called me back and said since my 95 was fuel injected it did not require it or have it on it in the first place but, if it was carbureted it would have had it. Called emissions air quality board back and she said without document a phone call wouldn't work. To say that I'm frustrated, irritated, fed up and angry would just be a understatement. The manuals the emissions lady is referring to are: motor manual emissions control systems and Mitchell control systems if that helps. :bounce:

#18 ·
Today the lady from air quality board better known as emissions board called me and told me I / we were right that my year of truck DID NOT COME WITH A AIR INJECTION SYSTEM! So I'm good to go have the emission test done and she said she was putting it in they're data base. But thank you for all the input it is deeply appreciated. :D

#19 ·
thumper said:
Today the lady from air quality board better known as emissions board called me and told me I / we were right that my year of truck DID NOT COME WITH A AIR INJECTION SYSTEM! So I'm good to go have the emission test done and she said she was putting it in they're data base. But thank you for all the input it is deeply appreciated. :D
What, the little guy wins. Maybe there's still hope for us. The greenies must be upset for sure. Congrats

#21 ·
i just saw this, yes the 93-95 had emission solenoids on the top of the valve cover, thats it. No injection pump, no air tube, no hoses...just a couple solenoids on the top. glad you passed! NJ, anything 95 and older, No inspection needed...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.