Isuzu SUV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

---SOLD---WTS (2) Surco TR100 2nd Gen Trooper Roof Brackets

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  VCRCleaningCassette 
#1 ·
I used six Surco TR100 roof brackets/rack adapters to build a full length roof rack on my 2nd gen Trooper, so I'm left with two that I don't need (they only retail in sets of 4).

Again, be advised this is a set of only two (2) unused TR100 brackets. Perhaps you are looking to build a full length rack as well with these brackets and need half a set as I did.

$35 + shipping from California (probably UPS Ground or USPS Priority). US only please. PM me if interested for a shipping estimate.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey, I've been thinking about adding a roof rack to my trooper. Can I ask if you have any pictures of the install? I'm curious as to how you mounted the rack to the brackets since the mount points aren't straight. I was going to do something custom but I might be interested in your brackets if I could make them work.

#3 ·
bbcourt said:
Hey, I've been thinking about adding a roof rack to my trooper. Can I ask if you have any pictures of the install? I'm curious as to how you mounted the rack to the brackets since the mount points aren't straight. I was going to do something custom but I might be interested in your brackets if I could make them work.
I built them using the half-slot sized strut channel from Home Depot (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Superstrut- ... /202714280). I mounted 48" lengths of strut across each of the three pairs of brackets (perpendicular to roof, I'll call these the cross bars), then mounted five 80" lengths parallel to the roof on top of those. The 80" lengths were mounted flush with the front cross bar. That left about 12" of overhang past the rear cross bar, so I used an extra 48" length to secure that end. I used channel nuts (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Superstrut- ... /100189687), bolts, and washers to join the struts together.

The spacing on each bracket pair goes from 44-1/2" in the rear to 46" up front (roughly). 48" gave enough length to span the width as well as allow enough clearance for the channel nuts and bolts.

Complicating things further is the roof height at the front bracket pair, which is roughly 1-1/4" lower than the roof at the middle and rear brackets. I made up the difference by stacking a small piece of strut channel and a square strut washer (https://www.homedepot.com/p/SuperMag-3- ... /305645476) under the cross bar strut channel. I used a single bolt spanning the height of that corner to secure it to the Surco bracket.

Also complicating matters is that the roof at the front bracket pair slopes down towards the windshield, so I had to stack washers under the front-most mounting hole so that the bracket would sit level. I need to replace the stacked washers with an actual 4 or 5mm spacer (the mounting hardware to the roof nutserts are M6 size).

I used Nord lock washers at the rack to Surco mounting points.

I'll try to get better photos if it doesn't make sense, but this is how it ended up:

We'll see how it goes as I'm planning a dispersed camping trip to Sequoia NF next month. Will probably have 100 lbs or more of stuff on top in addition to the weight of the rack. I've seen strut channel racks on other vehicles, but not so much on Troopers. Some problem solving was required for sure since I don't have the means to weld or fabricate anything... All in all, I think I spent 300 or so in parts (****s expensive in CA). I'd love to see if others have done anything similar on 2nd gen troopers to see how they did it.

Let me know if you're interested.

#4 ·
There seems to be a lot of interest in Trooper roof racks on here. If you do get more detailed photos and write up, start a build thread for it and I think it will go over well. Just so you don't have to clutter up your for sale thread.

Sorry for cluttering up your for sale thread, ha. Nice work on the rack using what you have available. I have a unistrut roof rack on my van to hold my ladders. Unistrut is nice in that it's cheap and there are plenty of mounting points. Make sure you can fit your tie downs in the slots before you go, some of mine are very tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.