• Nov 11-14

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Nov 18-21

Votes: 2 22.2%

Fall trip to Uwharrie anyone?? NOV 4TH-7TH

11K views 107 replies 23 participants last post by  superswire 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey folks,

This is the latest I can ever remember without someone posting a Fall Uwharrie planning thread, so I will get the ball rolling. Hi!! :hello2:

For those of you who don't know me, I am one of those chatty old farts who has been around here a long time. There are other's older, and wiser but we are becoming limited in numbers. If you were at the spring event, then we likely met. I am the old fat guy that hosted the group dinner at the Badin Lake Group camp Saturday night. It was a lot of fun and I am looking forward to the next trip this fall. That being said, we need to start the planning process now for that.

What was discussed widely at the spring event was the disruption that the Arrowhead Campground camp hosts have caused to our group. We were fractured into two separate groups because of their overzealous policing of the campground. Myself and others feel this may have been a blessing in disguise as it forced us to look for other camping options. That is when I was turned on to Badin Lake Group camp. We had about a third of the campers stay there this spring for the first time and we had a blast. What we learned is that we should be able to easily have a group our size (up to 40-50 people) fit in the one group campsite that we booked. There is an adjoining site that if we book early we could also reserve if we feel it is needed. There is plenty of parking space for everyone and even enough room for a handful of campers. I believe even Marcus could fit his 5th wheel in there if he so choses. I know Jerry's camper will fit just fine.

The only negative is that there are no electric hookups. The solutions was I brought my inverter generator which provided all the power we needed and was quiet enough not to be bothersome.

I would like to see the whole group in one location again. If you are new to the Planet and haven't been to one of the Uwharrie National Forest trips? Check out some of the previous trip threads. Then plan to come on out and join us. These weekends are usually a lot of fun and we always welcome new people to come out and wheel with us. Never taken your Isuzu (or whatever 4wd you have) off-roading before? Come on out. Most of the trails we run can be run with a stock rig. Just don't be embarrassed to tell us that you are new to this. We were all new to wheeling at one time. There are plenty of people who will be glad to help you learn what not to do. :lol: If you are an old timer like me, I would definitely love to see you come back out with us again. We had a great spring trip. Let's have another one this fall !!

We need to lock down a weekend so we can reserve a site before they are all booked So who is in? Who is out? Who thinks I have clearly had too much to drink and need to go to bed (other than my wife) :drunken:

Come on people, let's go outside and play!!

* EDIT *

Group camp site C has been booked!

Here is a list of who is staying with us at group camp. Please let me know if you plan to join us so I can add you to the list. There are 10 tent pads on the site:

Tonkatoy & crew
Mr Dunge & Bride of Dunge
Nate
JP, Ditchdoc, Bride of Ditchdoc & herd of dogs
Superswire
Lorenzo (sleeping in truck)
Paulevan76?
Dylan?
Gunnar
CodeElegance
Andrew
BigBugBoogers

Those camping at Arrowhead:

Jerry (Site 32)
Van (Site 34)
Roxy (Site 30)
Lowzone (Site 19)

See less See more
#2 ·
You know I'm down. Propose some dates last couple weeks of Oct into the first weekend of Nov is the norm. But you know this mannnnnnnn. Let's get this party started.

#3 ·
I think we are out for this fall trip. For the future, the new campground sounds fine to us. We are supposed to be in TN the middle of Oct but at some point between Mid Sept and Mid Nov. have to move my Mom 1k miles to central FL. Everything is up in the air during that time frame.

#5 ·
I would propose the weekends of the 16th or the 23rd in Oct. I'm pretty booked up around those dates.

e: just saw the options :drunken: :blackeye: gonna have to choose the later date in Nov.

#6 ·
paulevans76 said:
I would propose the weekends of the 16th or the 23rd in Oct. I'm pretty booked up around those dates.
Unfortunately, I had to rule out earlier dates because of limited campsite availability. That is also why I limited the pole to 30 days. I want to get a site reserved ASAP. Once we lock a date down, I will book the group camp. Then like last trip folks can just throw some cash at me at camp The beginning of October is a busy time for me. My anniversary is the 11th and my oldest bday is the 18th Plus... It's College Football season! I hate to miss opportunities to watch my LSU Tigers play. :headbang:

Reactions: paulevans76
#7 ·
TonkaToy said:
paulevans76 said:
Unfortunately, I had to rule out earlier dates because of limited campsite availability. That is also why I limited the pole to 30 days. I want to get a site reserved ASAP. Once we lock a date down, I will book the group camp. Then like last trip folks can just throw some cash at me at camp The beginning of October is a busy time for me. My anniversary is the 11th and my oldest bday is the 18th Plus... It's College Football season! I hate to miss opportunities to watch my LSU Tigers play. :headbang:
HI MIKE . I HAVE MY OLD SPACE ALL READY RESERVED SPACE NO 32 WED THRU SUNDAY NOV 3 THRU 7 JERRY

#9 ·
Well now...

It seems that a decision has been made. If Jerry and Van have made the call, then I am following suit. Nov 4th - 7th it is.

I will work on getting the group camp booked for those dates. Let's get this party started!!

#12 ·
Total thread noise, but: like @enemigo above, wish I was close enough to go. Used to be on the east coast but now western - distances and a different culture out here make these group things harder to do. Wish it were not so.

#14 ·
Just so any of you "out of towners" know - I'd go out on a limb and say that the vast majority of us have an open door policy - if you wanted to come hang out and ride, drive, spot with others in their rigs, we'd be happy to accommodate. Plenty of times guys will have breakage and be unable to continue wheeling and we will just hop in with someone else. I get wanting to bring your rig and hit these trails, but if you want to just come out and meet and have fun, we'd be happy to host you! :mrgreen:

#15 ·
paulevans76 said:
Just so any of you "out of towners" know - I'd go out on a limb and say that the vast majority of us have an open door policy - if you wanted to come hang out and ride, drive, spot with others in their rigs, we'd be happy to accommodate. Plenty of times guys will have breakage and be unable to continue wheeling and we will just hop in with someone else. I get wanting to bring your rig and hit these trails, but if you want to just come out and meet and have fun, we'd be happy to host you! :mrgreen:
Absolutely Paul. I totally agree. We welcome all of you to come down. I also have a link to a nice 2 bedroom house just outside of the national forest thats very affordable I have personally stayed at if anyone would rather have a actual roof over thier heads lol.

#18 ·
roxyschram said:
I've got #30 on upper loop Nov5 - Nov7
Welcome back Roxy!

You are welcome to join us at Group Camp. It will be cheaper than staying at Arrowhead and without the Nazi camp hosts spying on us. We really enjoyed it for the spring trip.

It will be good to see you either way. :wave:

Reactions: superswire
#21 ·
I'll be a "1st timer" but count me in! I've never wheeled my trooper in Uwharrie, just the beach. (If that counts as wheeling!) I'm not new to wheeling, I wheeled my land cruisers for years, but it's time to take my troopers virginity! See you in Nov!

Reactions: superswire
#22 ·
Good evening campers!

I hope everyone is well. Glad to see some new people jumping in. Uwharrie has plenty of trails that are Newb friendly. Plus there are plenty of people who will help try to keep you out of trouble. The old saying used to be stay off any trail starting with a "D" if your are a newb. That has changed and they have all gotten tamer except Daniel. Stay clear of that unless you know what you are doing. The top half isn't too bad, and we often run that with newer people, but the bottom half is much more intense.

The most important thing to remember is we have done our best to keep this family friendly. All are welcome, that know how to play well with others. There are many different religions, races, and political groups represented within our Planet family. Please respect that and we will all have a great time. Kids and dogs are welcome as long as you watch both (keep them on a leash if needed) :lol: and clean up after them.

Another great resource for new people is to read back through the threads of years past. There are tons of stories, pictures, and info to be picked up on.

If anyone is planning to stay at the group camp, please let me know as soon as possible. I have paid for the group camp and will be asking for $30 from anyone camping there to help cover the cost. Others are reserving sites at Arrowhead Campground right down the road. If both of those fill up, Badin Lake campground has some sites and some other folks like to just camp along the trail. There are many places you can camp for free on the trails. We also have historically had a group dinner Friday and/or Saturday night. There is usually a donation of $10 asked for to cover the expense of this. On the spring trip we had steaks, shrimp, grilled corn, and seasoned veggies on Saturday night followed by cherry cobbler. I am not sure what I am cooking this year just yet...

#23 ·
So the "elders" have chosen Nov 4-7th. So be it.
:mrgreen:
Marking my calendar and hope to still be open that weekend to go.
Thx Mike for posting up

#24 ·
TonkaToy said:
Good evening campers!

I hope everyone is well. Glad to see some new people jumping in. Uwharrie has plenty of trails that are Newb friendly. Plus there are plenty of people who will help try to keep you out of trouble. The old saying used to be stay off any trail starting with a "D" if your are a newb. That has changed and they have all gotten tamer except Daniel. Stay clear of that unless you know what you are doing. The top half isn't too bad, and we often run that with newer people, but the bottom half is much more intense.
I keep seeing people post on facebook how bad saw mill, rocky mountain and even falls dam are this year. I am going to go on a day trip here in a couple weeks to see.

#25 ·
We usually go out at dumb o'clock and break stuff on daniel in the middle of the night. :drunken: :lol: :lol:
I will say that that place , you can totally underestimate it since we wheel it so often. It will take your lunch sometimes unexpectedly.
But on the other hand it is almost the perfect place to teach people how to wheel.

#26 ·
lorenzo816 said:
We usually go out at dumb o'clock and break stuff on daniel in the middle of the night. :drunken: :lol: :lol:
We is a pretty broad brush stroke there sir... I have been on many a midnight run and haven't broke anything. This seems to be your gift. :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.