Isuzu SUV Forum banner

SPRING UWHARRIE 2021, APR 28 - 2 MAY

12K views 115 replies 21 participants last post by  MarcusInMD 
#1 ·
Most everyone knows where and now you know when. :D

For those of you who don't know where Uwharrie is, please ask.

I'll have to keep this short and to the point unless some one else is willing to take this tread over.

Here is the rest of what the Staff Officer said... "Badin Lake Group Camp has capacity for 50 people at each of the 3 sites. There is a bathhouse with 4 individual showers, 2 individual flush toilets & 2 vault toilets. There are drinking water hydrants there too. The cost for those sites are $75 each but there is not power at the sites. There is power at the bathhouse. Usually, the hosts at KMP or at Badin Lake CG open the gate around 3:30 or 4 pm on the day for when a camper has a reservation."

I'm looking at the Arrowhead campground availability and sites #28-42 are available minus #31 (1st come bases) and #35... Which Jerry has reserved already.

I'm reserving site #34 in case I can make it.

I know some of y'all don't want to camp at Arrowhead which is y"alls choice, but if y'all take campsites further up from the camp host, I don't think we would have much of a problem with them. :wink:

Gotta stop for mow.

See less See more
#2 ·
Good morning folks.

As much as I hate to break rank and split the group up I will not be returning to Arrowhead this year. Those camp hosts made a point to target us, and I will not spend my vacation watching my back for Dudley Dooright and his bride sneaking up on me or calling the cops because their feelings got hurt. I am going to book one of the group sites tonight after a do some more snooping around to figure out if one is better than the other. I will be bringing a generator for community use if desired. There is enough room for 10-12 rigs for whoever cares to join Smitty, Blaine, Shannon & myself.

I'm just not even going to risk it. I was nice to them last year, but if they said anything to me this trip I would likely need bail money.

#3 ·
OK kids, it is official. I just booked site C in the Group camp area. After some recon from MrDungee (thanks Nate!) it is quite clear that we should probably plan on 5-6 tents per site and realistically the same number of rigs. With that being said, We have 1-2 spots open at the site I booked after My crew, Blaine & Nate, their wives, and another guy (forgot his name) coming in from Nashville area. $50 per rig covers the site for the weekend. Let me know if you are interested and we will put your name on a spot.

I suspect this site will be full quickly. Then it would be great if someone else can reserve Site B (next to this site) and more people can camp there basically giving us a huge site.

Now, on to my favorite topic of the weekend... Dinner Friday night!! Anyone have anything in mind? I'm thinking about something simple that is usually a crowd favorite. Any objections to Steak, baked potatoes, and grilled corn on the cob??

Can you tell I am ready to get out of this house?? :lol:

Reactions: nate's truck
#5 ·
Mike, Theo from Nashville and his wife have confirmed for Fri through Sunday, they are trailering his 90 Amigo so we need space for that. Shannon and I will drive the trooper, cant wait to get on the trails

#6 ·
can anyone post a link for the arrowhead reservations and map? Dawn and I do drink, but were going down in our car AGAIN....so we need asphalt for now....we'll join y'all in the woods and gladly help on a trail run

#7 ·
#8 ·
thank you!

Site 36 reserved. Friday to Sunday!!! I get to annoy Jerry now :D
Not sure if we'll be there early enough for dinner Friday, have to stop in Hickory NC first.
We so need this time away from here!! Cant wait to see y'all in April
Dont think our Corolla will be running Daniel this year :D we might have to ride shotgun with one of yall

Thanks
Ron and Dawn

#9 ·
Great to hear that you can make it Ron 8)

I've got #34 reserved from the 29th through the 2nd although I still hope to caravan up on Wednesday with Jerry like old times. :)

Mike, let me know what you need for group dinner... what you mentioned sounds simple and filling. :thumbup:

Don't be surprised if we get rain, thunderstorms or tornados. :wink:

#12 ·
Ok, as Van said in the first post to ask if you don't know, well I don't know, just got a 01 Trooper in last July.
What is Uwharrie? Where is it, I see talk of camping, could someone kindly explain please, I'm just new, and kind of looking for something to do. If it is something to do with vehicles, is it off-roading? If so, could a stock Trooper automatic trans, and TOD on 16" wheels make it? Thanks

#14 ·
It's an unofficial get together of people who like the outdoors and their isuzus.
Been going on for decade plus some. We go on trail rides in the forest. It's mild to rough terrain and your truck can make most of it. We'll tell you where not to go and if you need help with some pointers on how not to destroy your truck, we'll be nice to provide advice based on the level of comfort you have with your rig. $5 each day can paid at the outpost (store nearby) or $30 a season. Season runs from spring to December when the trails are open in Uwharrie.
There's Baden lake nearby if ya wanna go fishing and if it's warm enough and you're good at avoiding snakes, you can swim where the boat ramp is. Which is about 1/4 mile from arrowhead campground which is where we've stayed for years until Janet the longest running nicest camp host has retired. Not saying we are rowdy at all. We're not. It's just a typical campground few beers and campfire stories that the latest host just went too damn far. So a few of us have decided to go to one of the group camps nearby in the same forest. Now this is a pretty big split because the loop in arrowhead is paved and has a walking bike riding loop too around it so kids can stayed entertained. Oh and it has hot showers, cold shtters and electric power for campers, RVs, or your coffee pot. Most of us pile on as few spots as we could and congregate during the day at one of the larger sites or Jerry or Van'a camp spot. We sometimes would run to Troy for dinner and sometimes just pitch in for some poor schmuck to make us dinner. I'm telling ya it's super unofficial but a nice way to learn some isuzu knowledge from a handful of pretty nice dudes. There's also a pretty nice mtn bike trail about 25 mins away and some rolling hiking nearby. But most of us just go to hang out, trail ride, maybe fish, and tell stories around the campfire.
Hope that helps anyone else have their version of whatever it is you call what we do? :)

#15 ·
Thanks! Sounds fun, I'm 17 and my parents probably won't let me go, but I wanted to know. Also, is this in Uwharrie park/forest NC? If it is, that's only 2 1/2 hrs from where I live. I'm not against camping, but never been there and want to ask, is there hotels or something like that near? And do y'all just meet up at one place and head out for the day? Thanks

#16 ·
Yes it's in NC, and no there isn't any hotels near. However there are a few cottage type places you can rent outside the forest. We all camp, some have campers some have tents some sleep in there trucks. We definitely all look out and keep a eye on one another. It's alot of fun and it awesome to see someone younger interested in troopers and off roading. If your parents are worried my wife and I are willing to speak to them to explain what, how and who etc. Just pm me if that's something your comfortable doing. Welcome!

Reactions: GG44
#17 ·
The Isuzu community seems pretty well, I'm not begging for anything, or people to vouch for me, but I appreciate it.
If I can go, is there any reservations that I would need to make? And as I said, I'm about 2 1/2 hours away, so if I just drive down there, what kind of equipment would be needed? And what time do you all start/meet up, (I don't know :)?

#18 ·
The meet up starts Thursday and ends Sunday by mid day. We all kind if trickle in between Thursday and Friday depending on distance and work schedule. I won't be there till Fri around noon. Some will be there early Sat morning. As Lorenzo said it's very unofficial. Most of the wheeling is Friday afternoon and Sat all day. Thursday and sun and usually setting up camps and taking them down. We usually have a group dinner Fri and Sat and someone will usually make breakfast a various camps in the mornings. Lunch is usually something you bring to eat on the trail. A cooler, drinks, snacks, ice,sandwiches etc is a something you'll want to bring. The outpost just outside the trials sells breakfast, lunch, drinks, fuel and pretty much anything else you'll need. I'd bring about a 100 bucks in cash w you not including what you need for fuel. Since we all pitch in for the group dinner, breakfast and to chip in for the group camp site.

#20 ·
No problem. We always try to help when we can.

#21 ·
Read the first post on any of the previous spring or fall rides that can help with where to book a campsite, what kinds of trails there are, what to expect etc... https://www.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic. ... 8&t=139773

A good attitude and willingness to fix whatever you break or ask for help when needed is always good advice.
Make sure your truck isn't going to break down on the trail or on the way to or from Uwharrie. This isn't a mud derby wgaf event. We take it easy and enjoy the trails but do know that you can expect rocker panel damage and possibly broken CV shafts if you're not careful and following others ahead of you. Take direction from those before you and learn hand signals for the heavy traffic days with 2 way traffic expected on some trails.
It really is pretty mild to moderate but if you don't take it serious, you can get yourself in a bad weekend real quick.
I recommend a battery hold down if you don't have one already and a fire extinguisher always.
Make sure your brakes are in good order and your trans isn't going to sht the bed. Also make sure your thermostat is good and fan clutch is working because we don't go fast and if your cooling system isn't up to par, expect to overheat which would make a bad weekend. Sometimes the most fun trips are when someone does something stupid but when it's preventable, it can be a dog of a day. Especially if it rains. Then everything goes from mild to hard.

#24 ·
MarcusInMD said:
Just tried to find a site for our rig. It doesn't look like there are any spots available for our 5th wheel. :(
Marcus,

I have site #37, wed thru sun, which has room for a 40' trailer. You're more than welcome share my site if that is large enough for your trailer. It'll just be me and my buddy in our tents. Let us know. Thanks!

Leland

Reactions: lorenzo816
#26 ·
Reran,

Glad to hear you are coming!

Marcus,

Hope you can make it out. It would be good to chat with you since my other Maryland buddies are gone. A group of us will be at the Badin Lake Group Campsite also so don't rule that out if Arrowhead is booked up. Or... You could leave the mega camper at home (I'm leaving mine behind) and travel light this trip. Just saying.

Looking forward to seeing everyone. I unfortunately received word last night that Smitty might not be able to make this trip. His plant is having a maintenance shutdown ending Friday of the trip. It will be a last minute decision for him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.