Isuzu SUV Forum banner

2020 "Family Reunion" Spring Uwharrie trip *POSTPONED*

63K views 100 replies 23 participants last post by  lorenzo816 
#1 ·
Howdy old friends!

It has been a long time since I have had time to get on the forum. Many of you still keep up via FB, but others I seem to have lost touch with. Smitty, Mario, and I were talking and we think it is long overdue for a Planet Family Reunion trip. We can certainly still go wheeling for those who desire (and still have rigs), but the main reason for the trip will be to relax and reconnect with old friends. I certainly miss hanging out with you guys. Since Anna was born, my life focus has be moved to her and my business. I haven't had much free time for camping. Now that she is almost three years old I have a little more flexibility.

Lastly, I would love help to reach out to some of the "old crew" who like me may not be hanging around the Planet these days and try to include them. If any of you are still in contact with any of them, please spread the word and lets try and involve them. Let's be clear, no Isuzu no problem. Many of us no longer own Zu's anymore, but we still are part of the family. I miss mine, but had to move on for family reasons.

Some of the people I have lost track of are JWood, Billy Rice & Jason, and I can't remember the guy who ran the name of the guy from Tennessee (in-law?) who ran the Baja Bug up Daniel till he broke a motor mount on the hill climb and Van towed him the rest of the way out. Think of anyone else please spread the word!

Here's who is going:

Site #35 Tonkatoy (aka Mike) & Smitty
Site #41 Bansil
Site #33 Hack
Site #34 Van
Site #27 Marcus
Site #26 MrDunge & Lorenzo
Site #43 Trev1980
Site #38 Nate's Truck
Site #28 BTW
Site #30 Reran
Site #29 Bluebait
Site #17 MartinDavis
Site #42 Paintchip
Site #32 Jerry
Site #37 Shaggy

Are you going? If so let us know!

See less See more
#77 ·
TonkaToy said:
Paint chip said:
Well..Well..... How time flies. I haven't been to URE in 7 years. Been about that long since I've been on the site. Billy informed me about this a few weeks ago and I have finally decided to go. I look forward to seeing everyone again, so put me down for site 42.
Great to hear Jason. Will be great to see you guys again and catch up. Hope Billy finds a way to come up as well.

This is shaping up to be an epic trip. It won't be long and we will be planning the menu for Friday night's dinner. Let me know if anyone has any requests. I am trying to find my sign I made after Eli did that sponsor T shirt with "Mad Mike's Grill & Bar" :lol: Once I get through this weekend's Mardi Gras & Gumbo party, then painting the house I will start on the tenement on wheels...
Do I dare make a menu suggestion, Mike?! LOL!! One of these days you're bound to think one of my ideals will work. Heck, just let me throw this out there... how about a low country boil?

#78 ·
reran said:
Do I dare make a menu suggestion, Mike?! LOL!! One of these days you're bound to think one of my ideals will work. Heck, just let me throw this out there... how about a low country boil?
I'm game, but it will require more than a $5 contribution. :lol: I have pots and burners and can do this but, the cost will be high. Without crunching the numbers it would likely be $20-25 per person. But we can do it... Crawfish will be in season.

I was thinking about Grilled garlic & herb pork chops with baked potatoes and grilled corn on the cob? I'm guessing $5-7 per person donation would cover the cost. We could do Steaks instead, but that would bump it up to around $10.

Like I said, I am game for whatever. I love to cook, and enjoy hosting this dinner. As my buddies in our LSU Alumni chapter know, my grill does travel, and I aim to please. If you leave one of my dinners hungry, you screwed up. :lol: I'm still working on getting this RV set up for tailgating, but I will have the basics covered in time for this event. She may not be a new bling-blinged out ride, but it's paid for! I'd rather spend the money on having fun, and football tickets.

#79 ·
Van said:
Looks like it's going to be a party this time. :drunken: :thumbup:

Mike, whatever you want to make for group dinner is fine with me... as long as it's not chili (which might instigate another old timer to show up with some chili additives). :lol:

Marcus, do y'all plan on doing a waffle breakfast on Saturday? I'll add something to it if so. :thumbup:

Doug, the wife will be there Friday and Saturday night, so please have the chandelier up. :p

Seems like it's been such a long time since some of y'all have shown up I might not recognize ya... Jason. :roll: :lol:

I'll be anxiously waiting to see what Marty and Heather bring down this time... Ronald McDonald? :lol:

Talked to Wayne (Slainer) and he'll be there also. 8)
You betcha were going to do Waffles! And Sausage and Bacon!!!! I'll have all the waffle irons going and the griddle will be fired up ready to cook all that greasy goodness!

#80 ·
shaggydoink said:
Van said:
Mike, whatever you want to make for group dinner is fine with me... as long as it's not chili (which might instigate another old timer to show up with some chili additives). :lol:

Marcus, do y'all plan on doing a waffle breakfast on Saturday? I'll add something to it if so. :thumbup:
@ Mike and Marcus, if you are the executive chefs of said meals, let me know if there is anything I can contribute or help with!

Van said:
Seems like it's been such a long time since some of y'all have shown up I might not recognize ya...
I'll make it easy on you... same skinny doofus, just a few more grey hairs and wrinkles. ;)

Shaggy
Thanks Jonathan, We'll let you know. We usually do a bunch of Belgian waffles with sausage and bacon. :) I guess any kind of additional breakfast stuff would be great like juices etc. The waffles seem to fill everyone up as they are huge and we make lots of em.

Can't wait! All of this talk of food is making this Keto diet person hungry for some carbs. LOL

#81 ·
Wow, looks like we are going to have a full house! Awesome. BTW, I think Shaggy is missing from the list. Site #37 :)

#82 ·
Van said:
Looks like it's going to be a party this time. :drunken: :thumbup:

Seems like it's been such a long time since some of y'all have shown up I might not recognize ya... Jason. :roll: :lol 8)
Van I think this is going to be a great time! It has been too long, and if you don't recognize me I won't be offended, but surely you will recognize that black trooper that sounds like no other. :angel4: haha cant wait to see everyone again, it is going to be a good time.

#83 ·
Just a heads up, there is a huge unofficial "group" of NC 4x4 guys heading to the woods that same weekend.
They'll be over at Group Camp and I know probably half of them.
Its gonna be crowded on the trails so have some patience and be willing to pitch a hand when needed.

#84 ·
Paint chip said:
but surely you will recognize that black trooper that sounds like no other. :angel4: haha
Yup, I remember that Trooper from the Beasley Knob days :lol: I WAS impressed with it after you and Billy made it up a muddy hill that I couldn't and Jerry told me that Troopers have a near weight distribution of 50/50 while mine has a 70/30 (bed empty)... then someone else told me that I had dried out the trail for y'all... which made me feel better. :p :lol: :lol:

We might have to have a 3.4 tug of war in a muddy patch. 8)

Hopefully all this coronavirus crap will have died down by then. :evil:

Marcus, I'll supply the cups and drinks for the breakfast.

Mike, I think something simple and somewhere in the $5-$10 range would work best since no one ever has a good head count on who's showing up for group dinner. :wink:

Lorenzo, maybe you could coordinate with the NC4x4 so we're not on the same trails at the same time. :lol:

Times flying by now. :D

#86 ·
I don't know what to say. I have a bad feeling that this.

This might end up being a fall trip the way things are going. Instead of "Family Reunion" it might become "Survivors Celebration".

Only time will tell.

#87 ·
TonkaToy said:
I don't know what to say. I have a bad feeling that this.
The OHV trail system is still on the schedule to open April 1, although it appears as though Arrowhead has been temporarily closed down:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/nfsnc/al ... ?aid=56853

Whether it will be re-opened by the event is to be seen I guess. Stay well everyone! :thumbup:

Shaggy

#88 ·
Being in a high risk group (65 and on chemo), I decided to be smart and cancel my URE trip. I'm doing really well fighting the cancer. My tumors are shrinking and the cancer markers in my blood have decreased by 90%. But if I get sick, even if I survive the virus, I won't be permitted to enter the infusion center which would give the cancer a chance to spread. That's a risk I don't want to take.

Hopefully, we can get together in the future.

#89 ·
Hopefully they will reopen. TN has closed the campgrounds and parks until April 30 so I guess we will see if NC follows....

#92 ·
We could all just camp out at the outpost....don't think they would mind much :lol:

#93 ·
Mario good to hear the update! I agree with your assessment to go bunker mode

#94 ·
Bansil said:
Mario good to hear the update! I agree with your assessment to go bunker mode
Not much choice at this time. Hopefully things will calm down in a few weeks, or months.

#95 ·
The way things are looking kids, this may be postponed till the fall.

Till then all we can do is wait and see what happens.

Take care of yourselves and your loved ones.

Now, go wash your hands!!

#96 ·
Boo!! Oh well. Hopefully fall will be more virusless. Stay safe everyone.

#97 ·
Seriously bummed about everything right now. I guess the only good thats coming of this is it looks like I am picking up a tow rig that I will be working on during this hunker down season.. I just finished my smoker setup, and was looking forward to surprising folks this year.

Hope everyone stays safe, and I get to see y'all in the fall on the other side of this mess...

#99 ·
Rodeofox. said:
I remember the days of Dave Chang and Joe D making breakfast, hard to believe that's been 20yrs ago. Had a lot of fun at uwharrie
I used to have a picture, Remember Dave with the swisher thing wiping dirt off in the parking lot while folks were locking hubs? Then he rolled it an hr later :mrgreen: good times lol....I have an Isuzu rug he made, forgot about it

#100 ·
Bluebait, you and wifey going to have some time when we get nicer weather during this bs to enjoy lake and grill time our slip,land is in Carter co....Watuaga lake? You can answer via pm if need to

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.