Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Fall 2018 Uwharrie Run - Hallowharrie

20K views 91 replies 18 participants last post by  Hack 
#1 ·
The poll is complete and this year the Fall 2018 Uwharrie Run will take place Nov 8-11.

News, Information, and Updates:
Attendees (so far & I'll update along the way):
Jerry - site 32
Lorenzo & JoeD - site 27 (double)
Kris superswire - 28 - up for grabs now. Resv cancelled.
JoeD - 35 extra/overflow up for grab$ - Marcus if he gets his home on wheels in time
Matthew Bytheway - 37
Van - 30
Jarrod jrodizzle - 34
Alex D - 33 - up for grabs now. Resv cancelled.
Chris p - 25
Marcus - 45
MrDunge - ??
Brandon B - 24
MartinDavis - 26
Alex Hampton - 29
Dan Musser - 18 from Nate

Can't make it:
Paul :cry:
alex d
kristofer

Parts Hauling and Swap Meet:
Jerry - hub caps for Lorenzo's friend
Lorenzo - fender, bumper, grill for trooper and dash? for Ernie
Lorenzo - snowflakes and tires for Nasty610 - if he makes it.

Guide to Uwharrie National Forest:

Link to the Forest Service Guide to Uwharrie National Forest.

CAMPING:

Link to the Arrowhead campground website.

MAP AND DIRECTIONS:

Google Maps Directions to the Eldorado Outpost - Located just outside of the trails.

To get to the Arrowhead Campground from the Outpost, turn left out of the parking lot. Look for the sign for the horse camp and turn left on SR1154. Make a right at the "T" intersection onto SR544. Go past the horse camp to the stop sign at the next T intersection. You will see a sign saying Arrowhead Campground is to the left. Make the left onto the dirt road SR597. Make a right at the sign marking the turn to the camp ground on SR597B. The road is paved just before you pass a dump station. When you get into Arrowhead, keep your speed down and watch out for the speed bumps. The road will fork. You have to go to the right because the road becomes one way. The camp sites are well marked by numbers and with the last name of the person making the reservation.

Trail Map:

THINGS TO BRING:

You must have a trail pass. An annual pass is $30. A day pass is $5 per day. Trail passes can be purchased at the Outpost.

It often rains at least one day during the event. So rain gear and tarps are recommended. Fire wood is always appreciated.

It is a good idea to bring a tool kit and some trail spares, as I can tell you from experience that sh_t happens on the trails. We tend to help one another out so if everybody brings something, we usually have everything covered and there is an auto parts store in Troy.

FOOD AND SUPPLIES:

This tends to be a very informal event. People come and go as they please; some preferring to hang out at camp or go fishing instead of trail riding. With the Flintlock Range now open, some will also go shooting (passes are $3 per day and are available at the Outpost). So bring enough food and drink to last the entire event. Food, drink and ice are available at the Outpost or in Troy. The Outpost also has a good breakfast for around $5. Usually there is a group dinner on Friday. If the weather is bad on Sat, we sometimes go into town and have dinner at Zeno's.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER NOTICE:
As always, this will be a completely un-sponsored and unofficial event ... No clubs or organizations will be overseeing the activities. This is simply going to be a bunch of friends and online acquaintances getting together for a weekend of fun, good food, and lots of off-road amusement.

ALL attendees will be utterly and solely responsible for themselves and the guests within their individual group(s) (including all vehicles and equipment), and shall be expected to abide by the laws, rules, and policies set-down by our true hosts, the United States Forestry Service and the people of the great state of North Carolina.

See less See more
#4 ·
Updating main thread with people's spots as we go.
Not sure the barter and trade threads get enough action before we arrive, nor do I think everyone is going to read through all the pages to see who is bringing what so I have an idea.
If you have something to sell or trade, post it and I will add it to the First post under the attendee list.
Thoughts?

#5 ·
Got a conflict this weekend, plans on the 10th. Not gonna make it.

#9 ·
Hi Roxyschram, bring your normal camping gear and clothes. There are showers and electricity so it's not too primitive. There's even food and two decent sized towns nearby if you don't feel like cooking at camp.
This isn't "official" but a few of us that have been going wheelin for a long time will "officially" ;) help you on the trails.
You'll need a decent set of tires with some aggressive tread at a minimum. You need a 3" lift to get everywhere comfortably. If you don't want to wheel and want to hop in with someone else, I'm sure you will find an open seat.
As for dogs, totally fine as long as they don't bark at night. There is a quiet time during the wee hours of the night at the campground. Not sure how your dog feels about being tossed and jostled around in an ORV so something to think about. I've seen plenty of dogs on the trail in and out of vehicles just depends on how well trained they are and comfortable being with a bunch of strangers slowly going thru the woods, getting in and out, checking each other's lines and sometimes just shooting the breeze.
We camp right by the lake so if you wanna go fish, you could. Just need a license. Crickets, worms and minnows work best here. If you have a boat, You could bring that too. Helps break up the constant hurry up and wait , let's go wheel stuff. Haha

#10 ·
Thanks! I have a set of new trail hogs, which I love. Great for offroad. So tires are a check. Sadly, my SLX only has a 1.5" lift in the rear at the moment, it's scheduled to have the front raised to match. As far as my service dog, he's trained not to bark unless he is being played with or my safety is being threatened. He loves offroading too. As far as fishing, I'm not much for that but I love cooking. If I go, I'd probably end up cooking for a group of people... As far as where I'd be camping, do I contact the state park system for camp sites or the park directly or is there someone that can handle all that.

#11 ·
roxy,
You can do some of the less challenging trails with the lift that you have. Shouldn't be a problem. My first trip to Uwharrie with everything stock I did OK. I did "remove" my side running boards during the the first or second trail. :) It was a forced removal of course. :)
As lorenzo said too, if the trails prove to be more of a challenge then you think your truck can handle you can tag along with anyone pretty much too.

Always a great time!

#12 ·
For campingn arrangements, follow the link in the main post for arrowhead campground and look for upper loop.
If you wanna google search reservation.gov that will get you straight.

#14 ·
I will do the waffle breakfast on Friday or Saturday again. I plan to purchase another (double) waffle iron so I can crank the waffles out faster (3 at a time).

We also have a huge propane griddle now so we can fry up sausage and bacon in a matter of minutes. If anyone wants to bring stuff for that that would be great! I.E. Bacon and link or pattie sausage

#15 ·
I'll be there Friday haven't gotten my site yet but I will soon. Lifted my trooper another 2 inches OME springs and installed some sweet fabricated steel bumpers front and back. Hopefully by that weekend I will have my 32s w better grip on there but I have got some other projects soaking up my car mod budget. Only thing left after that is a winch. Thanks for all the suggestions from the last trip guys believe me I'm working on it.

#16 ·
MrDunge said:
I'll be there Friday haven't gotten my site yet but I will soon. Lifted my trooper another 2 inches OME springs and installed some sweet fabricated steel bumpers front and back. Hopefully by that weekend I will have my 32s w better grip on there but I have got some other projects soaking up my car mod budget. Only thing left after that is a winch. Thanks for all the suggestions from the last trip guys believe me I'm working on it.
Gonna be unstoppable this time!

#17 ·
Hopefully......but unfortunately you wont be there to witness it. Mr I have plans every weekend for the rest of my life. Lol.

#18 ·
I don't want to be embarrassed by you now that you are ready to dominate!

And heck with 3 small kids it's just a fact of life - it's all about them. I'll try to be out there in the Spring.

#19 ·
Rigggghhhhhtttttt dominated by me. Lmao. I still got a ways, if ever, to go to compare w Big Red. I've been where you are. 1 boy 20 and 2 girls 17 and 12. It gets easier but way more expensive when they can start driving themselves around. If you come in the spring I will bring you those seats if I still have em, how about that.

Reactions: paulevans76
#20 ·
That's awesome man, I will definitely try to make Spring. I'll have bring something to offset the hassle and mental anguish of dragging seats all the way to the middle of the woods. Definitely WOULDN'T be something of the liquid persuation that is verboten on National Forest grounds ;)

#21 ·
Of course it wouldn't. Even so I have no idea what you are talking about, it's just water in a glass jar bc I'm against drinking from plastic containers

#23 ·
Guys the campground is closed due to an issue with the pump.
I am going to call Teresa and get the 411.
Surely they can fix it before Nov.
Keep your reservations until I can report back.
There is another campground around the corner should we need to move.

#25 ·
Site 23 booked 9-11th see everyone there!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.