Fall trip to Uwharrie anyone?? NOV 4TH-7TH

This section is reserved for discussion of the Semi-Annual Isuzu Uwharrie Events

Moderators: DRaider90, Staff

What weekend works best for you?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:23 am

Oct 28-31 (Halloween weekend)
9%
Nov 4-7
64%
Nov 11-14
9%
Nov 18-21
18%

Total votes : 11

Fall trip to Uwharrie anyone?? NOV 4TH-7TH

Postby TonkaToy » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:23 am

Hey folks,

This is the latest I can ever remember without someone posting a Fall Uwharrie planning thread, so I will get the ball rolling. Hi!! :hello2:

For those of you who don't know me, I am one of those chatty old farts who has been around here a long time. There are other's older, and wiser but we are becoming limited in numbers. If you were at the spring event, then we likely met. I am the old fat guy that hosted the group dinner at the Badin Lake Group camp Saturday night. It was a lot of fun and I am looking forward to the next trip this fall. That being said, we need to start the planning process now for that.

What was discussed widely at the spring event was the disruption that the Arrowhead Campground camp hosts have caused to our group. We were fractured into two separate groups because of their overzealous policing of the campground. Myself and others feel this may have been a blessing in disguise as it forced us to look for other camping options. That is when I was turned on to Badin Lake Group camp. We had about a third of the campers stay there this spring for the first time and we had a blast. What we learned is that we should be able to easily have a group our size (up to 40-50 people) fit in the one group campsite that we booked. There is an adjoining site that if we book early we could also reserve if we feel it is needed. There is plenty of parking space for everyone and even enough room for a handful of campers. I believe even Marcus could fit his 5th wheel in there if he so choses. I know Jerry's camper will fit just fine.

The only negative is that there are no electric hookups. The solutions was I brought my inverter generator which provided all the power we needed and was quiet enough not to be bothersome.

I would like to see the whole group in one location again. If you are new to the Planet and haven't been to one of the Uwharrie National Forest trips? Check out some of the previous trip threads. Then plan to come on out and join us. These weekends are usually a lot of fun and we always welcome new people to come out and wheel with us. Never taken your Isuzu (or whatever 4wd you have) off-roading before? Come on out. Most of the trails we run can be run with a stock rig. Just don't be embarrassed to tell us that you are new to this. We were all new to wheeling at one time. There are plenty of people who will be glad to help you learn what not to do. :lol: If you are an old timer like me, I would definitely love to see you come back out with us again. We had a great spring trip. Let's have another one this fall !!

We need to lock down a weekend so we can reserve a site before they are all booked So who is in? Who is out? Who thinks I have clearly had too much to drink and need to go to bed (other than my wife) :drunken:

Come on people, let's go outside and play!!

*** EDIT ***

Group camp site C has been booked!

Here is a list of who is staying with us at group camp. Please let me know if you plan to join us so I can add you to the list. There are 10 tent pads on the site:

Tonkatoy & crew
Mr Dunge & Bride of Dunge
Nate
JP, Ditchdoc, Bride of Ditchdoc & herd of dogs
Trev1980 & son
Superswire
Lorenzo (sleeping in truck)
Paulevan76?
Dylan?

Those camping at Arrowhead:

Jerry (Site 32)
Van (Site 34)
Roxy (Site 30)
Last edited by TonkaToy on Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:38 am, edited 6 times in total.
Mike M.
Richmond, VA
1994 Trooper LS 3.2 DOHC 5spd Trail pig
2002 Trooper SOLD
1989 Trooper LS SOLD
2015 Honda Accord (DD)
2016 F-250 (Tow rig/Workhorse/Plow truck)

For this post the author TonkaToy was thanked by:
paulevans76
TonkaToy
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 31 times

Sponsor

Re: Fall trip to Uwharrie anyone??

Postby MrDunge » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:20 am

You know I'm down. Propose some dates last couple weeks of Oct into the first weekend of Nov is the norm. But you know this mannnnnnnn. Let's get this party started.
Evil Thrives When Good People Do Nothing
89 Trooper 2.6, Clearwater Head, Delta 260 cam. Modified intake and exhaust . 3in suspension lift,Ome rear springs, skijacker n8000s all the way around, skijacker front stabilizer. 3in body lift, Lokka's (Aussie Lockers) front and back. 32×11.50s mud grip tires on Snowflakes, 2x6 box steel bumpers 1/4 thick front and back, 8500lb winch mounted on the front, slotted and vented rotors w ceramic pads all the way around. Aisin manual hubs, LED lights installed in all sockets inside and out. Stripped to metal, primed and repainted Titanium silver metallic myself and 4 doors off a LS installed w chrome handles door locks and the nice carpet liner on the inside. Yes I'm proud of my flying brick
87 Trooper 2.3 (salvaged)
89 Trooper LS 2.6. Stripped due to body rot. (Salvaged)
02 Trooper 3.5 (salvaged)
MrDunge
Mud King

Have thanks: 40 times

Postby MarcusInMD » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:38 pm

I think we are out for this fall trip. For the future, the new campground sounds fine to us. We are supposed to be in TN the middle of Oct but at some point between Mid Sept and Mid Nov. have to move my Mom 1k miles to central FL. Everything is up in the air during that time frame.
99 Trooper. Green 250k miles. - April 2013 AT Rebuild/December 2013 Engine Rebuild/April 2016 SUPERCHARGED!
99 Trooper. Black 210k miles - Off to the land of fruits and nuts to die a slow, painful death.
Our YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9uMT- ... WASlzekebQ
MarcusInMD
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 30 times

Postby Enemigo » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:55 pm

I've been on here enough that I'd like to meet some other people, but each trip (spring and fall) usually conflicts with some other thing that I do (Moab and hunting/hurricanes respectively). One day I'd like to come out though. :)
Also I'm pretty far away.
1999 Amigo - Sold
1999 Trooper. Mods TBD
Enemigo
Zu Royalty

Postby paulevans76 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:01 pm

I would propose the weekends of the 16th or the 23rd in Oct. I'm pretty booked up around those dates.

e: just saw the options :drunken: :blackeye: gonna have to choose the later date in Nov.
Scratch n Dent special 1991 Trooper S
3.4 V6 - Holley TBI, CompCams 252H, 1.6:1 roller rockers, +1mm DOHC pistons, MSD ignition, custom tune, "Ed Mc Special" 2.5" exhaust
MUA5 w/ 3.07's & fixed yoke
SAS - Waggy F D44 - 5.38's, RCV's, OX locker; Rodeo R 44 - Detroit, truss
Front Y-link radius arms, coils; Rear SOA, OME leaves, anti-wrap bar
35x12.50/17 General Grabber X3's on 17x9 Interco Birddogs
Trail armor and Warn XD9000
The White Whale - a temporary daily driver 1991 Trooper - 2.8 V6, MUA5 - stocker resto (sold)
1994 Samurai - 1.3 FI - OME suspension, 31's, 6.5:1 tcase, 5k milemarker SxS winch, more to come!
paulevans76
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 185 times

Postby TonkaToy » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:10 pm

paulevans76 wrote:I would propose the weekends of the 16th or the 23rd in Oct. I'm pretty booked up around those dates.

Unfortunately, I had to rule out earlier dates because of limited campsite availability. That is also why I limited the pole to 30 days. I want to get a site reserved ASAP. Once we lock a date down, I will book the group camp. Then like last trip folks can just throw some cash at me at camp The beginning of October is a busy time for me. My anniversary is the 11th and my oldest bday is the 18th Plus... It's College Football season! I hate to miss opportunities to watch my LSU Tigers play. :headbang:
Mike M.
Richmond, VA
2002 Trooper SOLD
1989 Trooper LS SOLD
2015 Honda Accord (DD)

paulevans76
TonkaToy
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby JLEMOND » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:51 pm

TonkaToy wrote:
paulevans76 wrote:I would propose the weekends of the 16th or the 23rd in Oct. I'm pretty booked up around those dates.

Unfortunately, I had to rule out earlier dates because of limited campsite availability. That is also why I limited the pole to 30 days. I want to get a site reserved ASAP. Once we lock a date down, I will book the group camp. Then like last trip folks can just throw some cash at me at camp The beginning of October is a busy time for me. My anniversary is the 11th and my oldest bday is the 18th Plus... It's College Football season! I hate to miss opportunities to watch my LSU Tigers play. :headbang:

HI MIKE . I HAVE MY OLD SPACE ALL READY RESERVED SPACE NO 32 WED THRU SUNDAY NOV 3 THRU 7 JERRY
Last edited by JLEMOND on Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JLEMOND
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 359 times

Postby Van » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:01 pm

Y'all know the old saying... if you don't succeed at 1st, try, try again. :wink:

I went ahead and made reservations for 3-7 Nov, site #34 reserved... screw the camp host's :thefinger: (I'll have to get the guy that was famous for posting that emoji back out there again also... Doug). :mrgreen:
Van
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 104 times

Postby TonkaToy » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:08 am

Well now...

It seems that a decision has been made. If Jerry and Van have made the call, then I am following suit. Nov 4th - 7th it is.

I will work on getting the group camp booked for those dates. Let's get this party started!!
Mike M.
Richmond, VA
2002 Trooper SOLD
1989 Trooper LS SOLD
2015 Honda Accord (DD)
TonkaToy
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby roxyschram » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:08 pm

I've got #30 on upper loop Nov5 - Nov7
-----
Amateur Radio Operator - N4ANI
1997 Acura SLX -- 4x4 * LSD * locking hubs * bi-xenon HID * 1000W inverter * 50w Icom ID-5100 2M/70CM indash * 40w HF 10m/11m * LED interior lighting * power leather heated seats * Land Cruiser Rims * 265/75R16 Kanati Trail Hog * external 20L fuel jerry & mount * 22.7L water jerry
2002 Volvo V70XC -- Stage 2 Hilton Racing Tune * Custom Exhaust * Custom bi-xenon projector headlights (pampered)
roxyschram
Rodeo King

Have thanks: 7 times

Postby Trev1980 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:52 pm

James and I will plan to be there. Mike, we'll join in on the group camping spot, if you have room for us.

Trevor
Trev1980
Drives on Dirt

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Oro » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:00 am

Total thread noise, but: like @enemigo above, wish I was close enough to go. Used to be on the east coast but now western - distances and a different culture out here make these group things harder to do. Wish it were not so.
1998 Acura SLX. OME 929s and front crank, KYB tubes. Retro'd Aisin manual front hubs.
Home rebuilt 4L30E doing great. Aux cooler and temp gauge. Big thanks on the rebuild to Buster28, Jerry (jlemond), CalG, and others.
Factory(US dealer) side steps and roof/ski rack (Yakima).
Oro
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 150 times

Postby Getsducks » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:04 am

More noise.
I just looked, 44 Hrs drive for me :(
1989 2.8 5 Spd Trooper.14 Years of getting me in, around and out of places I probably shouldn't have been in the first place.
1988 2.6 5 Spd 4ZE1. A work in progress.
Getsducks
Mud King

Have thanks: 11 times

Postby paulevans76 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:19 am

Just so any of you "out of towners" know - I'd go out on a limb and say that the vast majority of us have an open door policy - if you wanted to come hang out and ride, drive, spot with others in their rigs, we'd be happy to accommodate. Plenty of times guys will have breakage and be unable to continue wheeling and we will just hop in with someone else. I get wanting to bring your rig and hit these trails, but if you want to just come out and meet and have fun, we'd be happy to host you! :mrgreen:
Scratch n Dent special 1991 Trooper S
3.4 V6 - Holley TBI, CompCams 252H, 1.6:1 roller rockers, +1mm DOHC pistons, MSD ignition, custom tune, "Ed Mc Special" 2.5" exhaust
MUA5 w/ 3.07's & fixed yoke
SAS - Waggy F D44 - 5.38's, RCV's, OX locker; Rodeo R 44 - Detroit, truss
Front Y-link radius arms, coils; Rear SOA, OME leaves, anti-wrap bar
35x12.50/17 General Grabber X3's on 17x9 Interco Birddogs
Trail armor and Warn XD9000
The White Whale - a temporary daily driver 1991 Trooper - 2.8 V6, MUA5 - stocker resto (sold)
1994 Samurai - 1.3 FI - OME suspension, 31's, 6.5:1 tcase, 5k milemarker SxS winch, more to come!
paulevans76
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 185 times

Postby MrDunge » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:24 am

paulevans76 wrote:Just so any of you "out of towners" know - I'd go out on a limb and say that the vast majority of us have an open door policy - if you wanted to come hang out and ride, drive, spot with others in their rigs, we'd be happy to accommodate. Plenty of times guys will have breakage and be unable to continue wheeling and we will just hop in with someone else. I get wanting to bring your rig and hit these trails, but if you want to just come out and meet and have fun, we'd be happy to host you! :mrgreen:

Absolutely Paul. I totally agree. We welcome all of you to come down. I also have a link to a nice 2 bedroom house just outside of the national forest thats very affordable I have personally stayed at if anyone would rather have a actual roof over thier heads lol.
Evil Thrives When Good People Do Nothing
89 Trooper 2.6, Clearwater Head, Delta 260 cam. Modified intake and exhaust . 3in suspension lift,Ome rear springs, skijacker n8000s all the way around, skijacker front stabilizer. 3in body lift, Lokka's (Aussie Lockers) front and back. 32×11.50s mud grip tires on Snowflakes, 2x6 box steel bumpers 1/4 thick front and back, 8500lb winch mounted on the front, slotted and vented rotors w ceramic pads all the way around. Aisin manual hubs, LED lights installed in all sockets inside and out. Stripped to metal, primed and repainted Titanium silver metallic myself and 4 doors off a LS installed w chrome handles door locks and the nice carpet liner on the inside. Yes I'm proud of my flying brick
87 Trooper 2.3 (salvaged)
89 Trooper LS 2.6. Stripped due to body rot. (Salvaged)
02 Trooper 3.5 (salvaged)
MrDunge
Mud King

Postby JoeIsuzu » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:16 pm

Gotta do this one of these days. It sounds like a pilgrimage, and you're not really legit if you haven't yet done it. :D

Jack
Original owner, 1983 Isuzu P'up LS Diesel. Engine overhauled by JLEMOND. Ready for new paint now!
1994 Isuzu Amigo 2wd
IsuzuPup.com
"There are no dumb questions"?! Maybe not...
but there are smart ways to ask. Old, but classic:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
JoeIsuzu
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 117 times

Postby superswire » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:48 pm

to anyone thinking about coming for thier 1st time, just do it...

Mike, Im in dude. Group camp or ???
'99 trooper on 285s
superswire
Trail Master

Have thanks: 18 times

Postby TonkaToy » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:13 am

roxyschram wrote:I've got #30 on upper loop Nov5 - Nov7

Welcome back Roxy!

You are welcome to join us at Group Camp. It will be cheaper than staying at Arrowhead and without the Nazi camp hosts spying on us. We really enjoyed it for the spring trip.

It will be good to see you either way. :wave:
Mike M.
Richmond, VA
2002 Trooper SOLD
1989 Trooper LS SOLD
2015 Honda Accord (DD)

superswire
TonkaToy
Almost Joe Isuzu

Re: Fall trip to Uwharrie anyone?? NOV 4TH-7TH

Postby Mparker » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:05 am

Could someone post where the campsites are specifically in Uwharrie national forest and the roads we may be driving?
Mparker
Drives on Dirt

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby superswire » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:09 am

'99 trooper on 285s

For this post the author superswire was thanked by:
Mparker
superswire
Trail Master

Postby Gunnar » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:52 pm

I’ll be a “1st timer” but count me in! I’ve never wheeled my trooper in Uwharrie, just the beach. (If that counts as wheeling!) I’m not new to wheeling, I wheeled my land cruisers for years, but it’s time to take my troopers virginity! See you in Nov!
89 Trooper 4.3 Chevy, fully machined, balanced,blueprinted. 94 block .030 over, TRW pistons and rings, new vortex heads, MSD/Accel ignition/fireworks and distributor, oversized FrostBite rad, Edelbrock Performer cam/4 bbl (Holley Sniper system ready and waiting on me to install!),Hays clutch, custom cut and machined eng/tranny adapter (shout out to father in law, my personal machinist!), stock 5 speed tranny and transfer case.
I also own 2 80 series Land Cruisers…89 & 97… but that’s another story.

For this post the author Gunnar was thanked by:
superswire
Gunnar
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby TonkaToy » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:47 pm

Good evening campers!

I hope everyone is well. Glad to see some new people jumping in. Uwharrie has plenty of trails that are Newb friendly. Plus there are plenty of people who will help try to keep you out of trouble. The old saying used to be stay off any trail starting with a "D" if your are a newb. That has changed and they have all gotten tamer except Daniel. Stay clear of that unless you know what you are doing. The top half isn't too bad, and we often run that with newer people, but the bottom half is much more intense.

The most important thing to remember is we have done our best to keep this family friendly. All are welcome, that know how to play well with others. There are many different religions, races, and political groups represented within our Planet family. Please respect that and we will all have a great time. Kids and dogs are welcome as long as you watch both (keep them on a leash if needed) :lol: and clean up after them.

Another great resource for new people is to read back through the threads of years past. There are tons of stories, pictures, and info to be picked up on.

If anyone is planning to stay at the group camp, please let me know as soon as possible. I have paid for the group camp and will be asking for $30 from anyone camping there to help cover the cost. Others are reserving sites at Arrowhead Campground right down the road. If both of those fill up, Badin Lake campground has some sites and some other folks like to just camp along the trail. There are many places you can camp for free on the trails. We also have historically had a group dinner Friday and/or Saturday night. There is usually a donation of $10 asked for to cover the expense of this. On the spring trip we had steaks, shrimp, grilled corn, and seasoned veggies on Saturday night followed by cherry cobbler. I am not sure what I am cooking this year just yet...
Mike M.
Richmond, VA
2002 Trooper SOLD
1989 Trooper LS SOLD
2015 Honda Accord (DD)
TonkaToy
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby lorenzo816 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:34 am

So the "elders" have chosen Nov 4-7th. So be it.
:mrgreen:
Marking my calendar and hope to still be open that weekend to go.
Thx Mike for posting up
1997 Solid Axle Rodeo :: Ar5 swap :: Revo 4Lo :: 5.29/5.38 :: Front OX :: Rear ARB :: Full Float :: Chromoly Bling Bling
Build: 3-link coilover front 44 & rear FZJ80 on 37's
PM me if you need anything - Need a Skull Planet Isuzoo sticker?

For this post the author lorenzo816 was thanked by:
superswire
lorenzo816
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 141 times

Postby superswire » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:38 pm

TonkaToy wrote:Good evening campers!

I hope everyone is well. Glad to see some new people jumping in. Uwharrie has plenty of trails that are Newb friendly. Plus there are plenty of people who will help try to keep you out of trouble. The old saying used to be stay off any trail starting with a "D" if your are a newb. That has changed and they have all gotten tamer except Daniel. Stay clear of that unless you know what you are doing. The top half isn't too bad, and we often run that with newer people, but the bottom half is much more intense.

I keep seeing people post on facebook how bad saw mill, rocky mountain and even falls dam are this year. I am going to go on a day trip here in a couple weeks to see.
'99 trooper on 285s
superswire
Trail Master

Postby lorenzo816 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:43 pm

We usually go out at dumb o'clock and break stuff on daniel in the middle of the night. :drunken: :lol: :lol:
I will say that that place , you can totally underestimate it since we wheel it so often. It will take your lunch sometimes unexpectedly.
But on the other hand it is almost the perfect place to teach people how to wheel.
1997 Solid Axle Rodeo :: Ar5 swap :: Revo 4Lo :: 5.29/5.38 :: Front OX :: Rear ARB :: Full Float :: Chromoly Bling Bling
Build: 3-link coilover front 44 & rear FZJ80 on 37's
PM me if you need anything - Need a Skull Planet Isuzoo sticker?
lorenzo816
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 141 times